Requiring user registration for scanner radio and other api-using apps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mk262

Premium Subscriber
If the one of the [supposed] driving concerns of le going encrypted is that people can listen in using smartphone apps without the hurdles of buying an expensive scanner, programming it, etc, would requiring user registration cut down on petty criminals listening to feeds on their phone? I know it's not exactly a huge barrier to access but it would seem helpful.

In my personal case, Daytona's police chief knows there's a feed covering his agency now (mine) and he had already expressed interest in encryption before that. I also know a few local cops and they sometimes catch people listening to my feed on their phone. I don't believe that it actually is doing them any good or they wouldn't be caught--but I want to stay off any law enforcement administration's radar. It seems less likely some of these criminals would be using the app if they had to register first. Especially if it could not be done from inside the app.

I'd like to hear some input especially from any of the admin staff. Maybe it's not a good idea, but I'm curious.

SCPD

QRT
Most likely it won't make a difference. Access to the web is everywhere now and even can be access straight from your phone. Having people login won't decrease the audience.

mk262

Premium Subscriber
Most likely it won't make a difference. Access to the web is everywhere now and even can be access straight from your phone. Having people login won't decrease the audience.

The number of people who access the site using m.radioreference.com is nothing compared to those who use an app. I rarely have any listeners who do that.

Beyond that, I really doubt many people are going to go to the regular site and launch the audio from there. Normal thugs aren't that bright. I just don't see people evading the police in a stolen car or something taking a break to open up the site in their phone's browser.

To prove my point:
7 Internet Explorer
5 Safari
3 Scanner Radio (Android)
2 Huawei Audio Core (Android)
1 HTC Player (Verizon)
1 Android 2.2.2 Core Player
1 HTC Player (AT&T)
1 iPhone (Scanner 911)
1 iPhone (Police Radio)

So it looks like I have 5 listeners who might be using the regular mobile website out of 10 total mobile listeners. Those first 5 could still be using the scanner radio app, except they've enabled the setting to use the integrated android audio player (at least I think so). I would also point out that 5 potential mobile listeners is the highest I've ever had on my feed and it's probably only because Daytona is having a big motorcycle event this weekend.

Last edited:

webstar22

RenfrewCountyScanner.com
Feed Provider
If you force people to register then other people will start making relay sites of RR.com feeds which will allow people to listen without registering. There is always ways to avoid doing stuff.

mk262

Premium Subscriber
If you force people to register then other people will start making relay sites of RR.com feeds which will allow people to listen without registering. There is always ways to avoid doing stuff.

I only suggested registration for the official scanner radio app or apps that use the rr api. I didn't say anything about the site at large. Guys stealing cars in the hood are not setting up an icecast relay so they can listen on their phones.

My goal was not to lock down the site but to add a barrier of access.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
And you also have to consider that there are many apps out there that access the API, but aren't authorized or licensed by RR....ain't gonna make a difference. When law enforcement can provide numbers that prove that people using scanners/apps are committing crimes and getting away with it, or plotting to harm public safety officials, I'll pay more attention to their "Chicken Little" approach to justifying encryption.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
My fire department streams its audio with the intent of allowing the general public to hear it. Crewmembers who are out of range of the radio signal rely on it to notify them of calls so they can start heading toward the station to provide cover.

Delaying or otherwise restricting the audio is not of interest in such applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.