Rescue Me - Hats Off and Farewell

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioDaze

Premium Subscriber
Any fans?

I think the last episode was a work of genius, perfectly fitting of a series that was a masterpiece and a modern classic. I didn't get around to watching it until today, and in case anyone else has it unwatched on their DVR, I included no spoilers here.

Am I the only one that loves FX Networks?

WouffHong

Rescue Me

Any fans?

I think the last episode was a work of genius, perfectly fitting of a series that was a masterpiece and a modern classic. I didn't get around to watching it until today, and in case anyone else has it unwatched on their DVR, I included no spoilers here.

Am I the only one that loves FX Networks?
Although I know some Firefighters think the series is as screwed up as Tommy at his worst, we have recorded every episode and saved the final one (wish we saved 'em all) as a "Protected" DISH network recording. It WAS a CLASSIC, indeed and reflects the sometimes twisted and paranoid elements of our lives and how WE see them, especially these tense days.

I was a Boston FF for but a few years before moving to the south, but i had personally been in situations and experienced mind-altering concepts of where the hell I was relative to safety/escape routes with flames curling overhead (Thank goodness for tall ceilings in Chelsea), and blindly followed others with trust.

I assisted the carrying out of a 2-year old from a Tremont St. December fire who was burnt over 80% of his body and we cried openly by this event and cursed the space-heaters that caused so many deaths.

Myself an 4 others were trapped on the 5th-floor roof of a building that was compromised by the Wallpaper factory (B&D) leaning against it on another ice/snow-laden night with no way out/off without jumping with full gear across the 3-4' gap between the LT icey "stick" and the roof as the MTA overhead and parked cars wouldn't let the LT get in close enough to lean the stick against the roof cornice. We all made it *(despite my inherited acrophobia. :roll: )

Was the series great? - IMHO: absolutely, including the marriage and relationship disintegrations, picking on the newbies, and off-duty drinking to forget.. And a lot more.

If anyone recorded the whole series, sure would like a PM from you. ;-) :wink:

Tom (Also irish ;-) and my GF and GGF were firefighters... )

WouffHong

Just a quick tale.. Future LT and later best man surprised me with a brand new Cairns (?) leather helmet as my size 7-3/4 head wouldn't fit any helmet available except an old pointy one from the 20's (WISH I HAD THAT!).

We painted the top half with the default color and got the bright idea to bake it on in the old Oven in the galley. Good idea, huh? - about 15 minutes later we got the call to join a poker game upstairs and about 1/2 hour later we smelled smoke and hit the pole.

Kitchen was full of smoke and we yanked open the oven to find wire rims, charred leather and sagging remains. - His $125 custom-made helmet was junk. ;( - A lot of money in the 60's!

Wish I still had THAT one, also - Could have woven some really super stories for the grandkids around that charred mess! :)

Back to the 1920's helmet was my punishment. :)

For a while, anyway.

:)

Tom

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
The finale was very awesome. For a while, the series really started to go the way of Nip/Tuck... started to go another direction away from the firehouse and had some really outlandish subplots. I understand how Tommy's liquor problem fit in, but boy that aspect was getting really overblown and old. The earlier episodes were the best, imho.

Along those same lines, I still don't understand how their characters started out as "average" middle-class workers on the FDNY's salary, wearing "average" clothes, driving not-new cars, hanging out in "average" bars all of a sudden are wearing nicer clothes, driving nice cars, and hanging out in swanky clubs halfway or 3/4 of the way through the series... all of this on a firefighter's salary. Just an observation.

Status
Not open for further replies.