Research help needed in reference to county/municipal radio systems in NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

w2rea

I am gathering information regarding county/municipal radio systems in New York State. In particular any systems that have non government users on public safety systems such as private college/university PD/security, private hospital PD's, or communities such as Sea Gate that employ private police forces. Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Hit_Factor

Did you look at the DB here on RR for NY?

I haven't looked at NY, but the Michigan DB has lot's of non-governmental TGs listed.

Some users will be hard to find, I hear several Utilities on law enforcement TGs, since they are just authorized radios, they are not listed in the DB. Monitoring is the way to root these out.

Last edited:

w2rea

So far I have found the Thompkins County system that has two private university PD's on the system.

ak716

Premium Subscriber
Just a search of the TRS's in NYS, appears there are a few

Security
Albany - University Heights Association Public Safety (appears to be contracted security)
Central New York Interoperable Communications Consortium - Syracuse University
Chautauqua County Public Safety System - Chautauqua Institute Public Safety/Security (per the DB under businesses)
Monroe/Ontario - Monroe Co buildings security is a contractor, they have their own TG's.

Also, tons of examples of private/non-government EMS agencies on TRS's, AMR on CNYICC, RIT EMS, Monroe Ambulance TG's on Monroe/Ontario, Mercy EMS operates on the Niagara Co and Genesee Co TG's, and thats just off the top of my head.

w2rea

Just a search of the TRS's in NYS, appears there are a few

Security
Albany - University Heights Association Public Safety (appears to be contracted security)
Central New York Interoperable Communications Consortium - Syracuse University
Chautauqua County Public Safety System - Chautauqua Institute Public Safety/Security (per the DB under businesses)
Monroe/Ontario - Monroe Co buildings security is a contractor, they have their own TG's.

Also, tons of examples of private/non-government EMS agencies on TRS's, AMR on CNYICC, RIT EMS, Monroe Ambulance TG's on Monroe/Ontario, Mercy EMS operates on the Niagara Co and Genesee Co TG's, and thats just off the top of my head.

Thank you Andy, without going into too much detail Chautauqua Institute is the reason I am doing this research. Recently The county sheriff kicked the Institute off of the system stating it was "illegal" even though there are several examples of other counties/municipalities doing the same thing. The Institute Officers are also sworn constables for the municipal government Town of Chautauqua making this decision even more perplexing.

w2rea

This really isn't "non-government" since, while they are contract employees, it is exclusively security for county government property and they are dispatched by Monroe County MRC.

I was thinking the same thing.

w2rea

"Also, tons of examples of private/non-government EMS agencies on TRS's, AMR on CNYICC, RIT EMS, Monroe Ambulance TG's on Monroe/Ontario, Mercy EMS operates on the Niagara Co and Genesee Co TG's, and thats just off the top of my head. "

Speaking of this nearly all of the volunteer fire departments in Chautauqua County are (fire company Inc.) meaning they are technically private and they contract with the local municipality they serve. this is much like the Institution does for the Town of Chautauqua.

k2hz

Database Admin
Thank you Andy, without going into too much detail Chautauqua Institute is the reason I am doing this research. Recently The county sheriff kicked the Institute off of the system stating it was "illegal" even though there are several examples of other counties/municipalities doing the same thing. The Institute Officers are also sworn constables for the municipal government Town of Chautauqua making this decision even more perplexing.
Private security is a gray area and generally not permitted unless under a formal agreement to provide service or coordinate with the Public Safety licensee. The fact that they are sworn constables should permit use when acting in that capacity. So, I think the key question is the nature of their operation. Fire and EMS units, unlike private security, qualify for "Public Safety" status even if non -govenment. Per FCC Rules:

§ 90.421 Operation of mobile station units not under the control of the licensee.
Mobile stations, as defined in § 90.7, include vehicular-mounted and hand-held units. Such units may be operated by persons other than the licensee, as provided for below, when necessary for the licensee to meet its requirements in connection with the activities for which it is licensed. If the number of such units, together with units operated by the licensee, exceeds the number of mobile units authorized to the licensee, license modification is required. The licensee is responsible for taking necessary precautions to prevent unauthorized operation of such units not under its control.

(a) Public Safety Pool.

(1) Mobile units licensed in the Public Safety Pool may be installed in any vehicle which in an emergency would require cooperation and coordination with the licensee, and in any vehicle used in the performance, under contract, of official activities of the licensee. This provision does not permit the installation of radio units in non-emergency vehicles that are not performing governmental functions under contract but with which the licensee might wish to communicate.

ak716

Premium Subscriber
This really isn't "non-government" since, while they are contract employees, it is exclusively security for county government property and they are dispatched by Monroe County MRC.
I wasn't sure. I just saw security contractor and thought it might be the same. Regardless, I was thinking private security (non-government employees), providing services on a county TRS

Status
Not open for further replies.