"responding par 3 buckled"

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonesyxvii

Premium Subscriber
I've only just recently dipped into the scanning world, and while I did a search on here and thru Google to find out what this means I found no results. I've heard York Region fire use variations of this phrase quite often but have no idea what it means:

"responding par 3 buckled"
"responding par 5"
"responding par 4 all buckled"

Can anyone decipher this lingo for me? I'm not even sure I'm hearing / spelling it right. Thanks.

SuperTex

It's a new initiative with some Fire Departments. "Buckled" simply means everyone on the truck has their seat belt on. "Par" is for accountability. That's how many Firefighters are on the truck. A variation is "P1 responding with a par of 4, 3 firefighters and 1 officer, all buckled". It's all up to the Chief/s of the Department whether they use that system, some do, some don't.

Last edited:

jonesyxvii

Premium Subscriber

OntFF221

Premium Subscriber
The biggest reason for saying "belted" or "buckled" over the air, is that if there is (heaven forbid) an accident; there's a record (either transcript, or actual recording) that all FF's in the rig were properly secured. It's become a big liability for a lot of departments; to the point where some apparatus are being modified, to relocate things like SCBAs and tools from within the cab, to cabinets on the sides...

As for PAR - Personnel Accountabilty Report - as was correctly mentioned above, it's the number of bodies (sometimes broken down by FF and Officers) on the rig...

KevMuskoka

The biggest reason for saying "belted" or "buckled" over the air, is that if there is (heaven forbid) an accident; there's a record (either transcript, or actual recording) that all FF's in the rig were properly secured.

I'm a big supporter of being belted, when I started full-time that was unheard of (and that was only in 2003). I don't agree with it being said over the air, and don't think having a recording of that being said is going to sway the investigators idea if 4 ffs are ejected - "but they said over the air that they were buckled, so they must have been and those devices must have failed". I doubt that would happen.

Although the "buckled" term is probably bringing more attention to the issue, I think it's highly unprofessional to say something over the air that is law. Heck, might as well start saying "our vehicle driver has a DZ license, is qualified to operate this truck, he completed his air brake inspection and all other required inspections, he also appears not to be impaired".

Sorry, not really scanner related, but figured I'd have at least one word in.

OntFF221

Premium Subscriber
Although the "buckled" term is probably bringing more attention to the issue, I think it's highly unprofessional to say something over the air that is law. Heck, might as well start saying "our vehicle driver has a DZ license, is qualified to operate this truck, he completed his air brake inspection and all other required inspections, he also appears not to be impaired".

Sorry, not really scanner related, but figured I'd have at least one word in.

I agree completely; and am thankful that our chief is digging in his heals against this radio protocol change...

At some point, being a professional (and that's got nothing to do with volly vs. full time) has to be enough; and we need to stop dumbing things down... Anyways - getting onto a REAL slippery slope here. So I'll serve myself a big cup of STFU, and stop here. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.