response from don starr

Status
Not open for further replies.

cuda440

I'm trying to help a friend get started with RR & Win96, he recently bought the Pro-96 and used Win96 for the trial period. After the 30 days he sent in the $30 ( August 1, 2006) and cannot get a response back with username and keycode. He tried e-mailing to Win96@starrsoft.com several times and to no avail. His Pro-96 has basically not worked for 6 weeks.

Is there a work around?

What can I tell my friend, again I'm just trying to get him started????

He is very frustrated!

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Since the Win96 software is not necessary to operate the scanner, I would suggest that he just turn in on an use it.

As to getting the software key, if he paid automatically over the net, the he should have received his key right away. Most instances of people saying they didn't get the key are due to SPAM filtering. At this stage (over 30 days) it seems like your friend's ISP has probably killed anything pending in a SPAM hold. On the other hand if he chose to use snail mail to pay for the product, then his only option is to continue to try and contact Don. There is no other work around I am aware of. I guess downloading it to a new computer would give him an additional 30 days, but that gets iffy after awhile.

jim293

Yeah I bought my Win 96 program about a month ago and as soon as I paid for it with my card I got the key instantly. Am very happy with it.

Bucko

I take it he must have snail mailed, that is the way I did last fall for Win96 & Win97 and it took about 10 days on both to get my key.( I also had turned off the spam filter on my mail server ) I have got reples from Don by way of email in the past and he even gave me a temp key till I got my regular key.

buckwheat

Hi Guys
I have had the same trouble! I sent Don snail mail back in July and still have not recieved anything form him. I have sent him several emails and no response. I have even tried using a different email address to no avail. I have just tried to PM him on this site and hopefully he will pick up on it... Good luck and keep us posted..
C

cuda440

when will there be an answer

thanks for all the feedback, I guess it is just not my friend!

we've been talking about this post, and just confirms the frustration.

I keep watching and maybe there will be a resolutuion.

does Don ever follow the discussions?

Maybe Don should post a response?-people, believe or not, can accept the truth.

n4voxgill

Silent Key
since most people have no problem that download and pay with paypal, i think it would be best if modified his site and made that the only way to purchase. I think that he has been innundated with request after request to resend their password. He should put on his site if you lose it your out of luck.

tneff

I ordered a couple months ago and did not receive the code, I do not have a spam blocker nor did I receive any response via email concerniong the purchase. After a couple of days and a few emails I did receive a response from Don directly and got it promptly , hopefully your friend will receive his before to long.BTW , I did use paypal and still had problems .

michaelo

Don Starr(WIN97 S/W)

I recently had a lightning strike on my home (A Drect hit) everything with a chip in it was fried. The motherboard in my pc was toast. I had purchased Win97 from Starrsoft about a year before. When I wrote Don a note requesting that he give me acopy of my reg code I Got NOTHING not even a reply. I've written(E-Mail) him a number of times and still haven't heard anything. I've come to the conclusion that he doesn't care about his customers at all, otherwise he would have written back at least with a policy notification that he won't issue replacement keys. I couldn't recommend him to anyone.

Mike

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
michaelo said:
I've come to the conclusion that he doesn't care about his customers at all, otherwise he would have written back at least with a policy notification that he won't issue replacement keys. I couldn't recommend him to anyone.

Oh brother.

I've come to the conclusion that people would rather blame software vendors for their troubles than take some basic, simple precautions against data loss. Is it Don's fault that you didn't back up your data or print out the registration info? To say you don't recommend his products because he didn't drop everything to chase down your serial number is ridiculous. Why don't you write your own scanner software and then deal with just a fraction of the bullsh!t complaints, scammers trying to score free reg keys and morons who couldn't operate a toaster oven, let alone a computer... then you'll have a right to complain about someone not emailing you back a reg key that you lost all on your own by not taking 2 seconds to click "Print". Good lord....

I should get back into writing scanner software. I miss all the abuse, bashing, pissing, moaning, lying and overall general stupid crap I used to deal with daily.

Heh. Not.

-AZ

Bucko

I too don't understand why people don't backup their info like license keys, myself that is the first thing I do is back it up on an external source. As for not getting a reply or a key after you buy the software is a different thing but I am sure there is a good reason. I have not seen Mr Starr on here for a very long time so he must be very busy.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
People, Look in the Mirror

For those of you who have lost your key, look in the mirror, that is the person who is responsible, no one else. You paid your money, you got your license, it was up to you to safe guard it.

For those of you who have supposedly sent Don money (via snail mail) and have not gotten a response, I feel for you and I really don't have any advice, other than if you would have done it the way most of use did, you would have gotten your key already.

Now for those of you who are unaware of Don's situation, I can only tell you what I know. Don had a major meltdown of computer equipment. Yes he had backups of data, but he did not have spare computers. I don't exactly know what his status is, I know the following, he has not been here on the RR site since the afternoon of June 7th. The most recent communication I have seen from him (not here on RR) is July 20th. That is the news.

My recommendation to those of you who have lost your license key via one way or another is quit whining and trying to get Don's attention, it is not Don's responsibility to provide you with a replacement key. You want a replacement, buy another license (and I bet this time you will safeguard it.) I can assure you that if you lost your Disk Key for your operating software, MS is not going to "give" you another one and that OS software costs a lot more than $30!

kc7vtr

But it's not just replacement keys that are a problem. There's plenty of posts by users that have paid for the software and haven't received the license key after months of waiting and numerous unanswered emails. To me that points to a bigger problem with Don's service or lack of.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
loumaag said:
Now for those of you who are unaware of Don's situation, I can only tell you what I know. Don had a major meltdown of computer equipment. Yes he had backups of data, but he did not have spare computers. I don't exactly know what his status is, I know the following, he has not been here on the RR site since the afternoon of June 7th. The most recent communication I have seen from him (not here on RR) is July 20th. That is the news.

Well hell - that just downright sucks! Hope he gets back in the game soon, and to everyone else, sorry - I realize I came off a bit rough earlier. It's been that kind of a week. But it just goes to show you that **** happens to even the most prepared of us. Don will get back to everyone as soon as he can. If he's anything like me, he's going nuts without a computer to play with, so I suspect he'll rectify that ASAP, if he hasn't already.

-AZ

hsdtech

I tried Don's software for my Pro-97 and felt I didn't need it. A year later I was thinking of buying it, but probably won't after reading these posts.
I program ALL of my radios manually. I think it is important to know how to properly operate your equipment.
The first post was pretty darn pitifull in my opinion. Doesn't the guy have a manual for his radio? If not, they are available I'm sure.
And why are some making excuses for Don? He is selling a product. When someone pays him for it they should damn well receive what they paid for, NO EXCUSES. Oh, broken computer? Go to the library or a friends house. Doesn't he keep records? Doesn't he back up HIS files? Get that key out asap to that paying customer.
Yes I'm sure Don hears a lot of B.S. excuses from customers, but at least they are communicating with him and he can make a decision.
Some of these paying customers aren't getting any response from him. THAT is B.S.!

Last edited:

cuda440

wow!

how do we resolve this?

this is not an attack on anyone, but just trying to get a problem resolved.

does anyone have a suggestion other than wait for donn?

waiting for donn is getting old and long without a hint of a solution.

???????????????? again only frustrated!!!!!!!!!!!

n4voxgill

Silent Key
anyone that has sent a check to Don that he cashed but you have not received your key please post the date he cashed the check on this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.