response from don starr

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
Grog said:
434543.JPG

So the key can be made up of anything as long as it's 64 characters you're saying?

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
He blocked out enough so you can't see his keycode, he is not saying you can put whatever you want to illegally register Win96 yourself...

pinetree

It would seem to me that if he lost his computer he would also have lost his e-mail along with everything else that he needs to work with. 2 months is not a lot of time to get everything back.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
NeFire242 said:
So the key can be made up of anything as long as it's 64 characters you're saying?

Don is using a version of Armadillo in which to wrap the program....unless you have the exact username and Key that matches that username the program will unlock....it is not just "any 64 characters" it is unique combo issued to each and every person who has paid for the program...
Hope this helps!
Marshall KE4ZNR

toydriver_det

Premium Subscriber
Backup

pinetree said:
It would seem to me that if he lost his computer he would also have lost his e-mail along with everything else that he needs to work with. 2 months is not a lot of time to get everything back.
I thought everyone used offsite storage for backups. There are free and pay online sites where you can store gigibit amount of information. I have flashdrives with tons of encrypted data and I carry a PDA that syncs datafiles everyday. If something happens where I lose everything, backups included, I won't be here to worry about it.

I just hope everything is ok with Don. I noticed the last update to Win 96 was last spring:

Version 1.53
2006.04.13 09:30 (GMT -0700)

Don is real good about supporting his product, even to those of us that lose the reg key. Yes I was one of those that caused Don grief by not backing that item up. I have learned from my error.

davidd2957

blueline_308 said:
So this software writer has a broken computer and that's why he cant contact his customers? YEA RIGHT. LOL

It was reported on another site the Don Starr did have a computer snafu, this computer being the one with all the KEY info. Don requested that anyone using his software to keep a copy of their key in a safe place besides their computer, so if you have a computer meltdown your key will be readily available.
David D.

DLee337

lost key

I had a computer meltdown. lost all info along with key.emailed don and couldnt reach him. which i know why now. Long story short I did backup my info didnt relise it. found it on a flash drive that I have. The flash drives are cheap. If you get your keys I recommend using a flash drive.

blueline_308

davidd2957 said:
It was reported on another site the Don Starr did have a computer snafu, this computer being the one with all the KEY info. Don requested that anyone using his software to keep a copy of their key in a safe place besides their computer, so if you have a computer meltdown your key will be readily available.
David D.

One would think that if one is in business and a computer person at that, that one would BACKUP his OWN data, before he urges everyone else to backup. I am just saying that his lack of planning should not be the burden of his customers. Maybe it is true, but sounds odd to me.

rdrunr

registration

kc7vtr said:
But it's not just replacement keys that are a problem. There's plenty of posts by users that have paid for the software and haven't received the license key after months of waiting and numerous unanswered emails. To me that points to a bigger problem with Don's service or lack of.

I too am one of the people who paid for the key and have not rec'd it. He also will not answer any e-mails that I have sent him. Based on this ,I would not be in a position to recommend it to any one.

n4voxgill

Silent Key
rdrunr said:
I too am one of the people who paid for the key and have not rec'd it. He also will not answer any e-mails that I have sent him. Based on this ,I would not be in a position to recommend it to any one.

how did you pay for the key?

James

From Dons site, Lic. agreement its clear( Reissuing a key is NOT guaranteed)

When you register, you will be issued a unique key that will allow Win96 to run past its 30-day trial period. DO NOT LOSE THIS KEY. You will need it any time you wish to install Win96 (new computer, new operating system, computer crash, etc.). In many cases, we can re-issue a registration key upon emailed request, but this is not guaranteed and may not get you a prompt response.

K9GTJ

n4voxgill said:
how did you pay for the key?

That doesn't matter how he paid for the key. Don is generally not responding and short of extreme medical reasons, he has no excuse for his lack of replies. I ran an online software business and always stayed on top of it even when on vacation or sick. I appreciate Don's work but he needs to respond to people or even here.

kikito

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, I'm afraid that something might have happened to Don S. His last post on this website was in May of this year and I haven't seen him post on any of the Yahoo lists either.

All the people defending him (including me), can't keep saying that he takes a little long to respond to people sometimes because now it's been WAY too long. And now I'm in the same "waiting" boat.

I gave up waiting and just went ahead and bought another license, no biggie. But I'm concerned that something is going on with him unfortunately (hope not).....

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
I paid with paypal the other night and got the key right away. It is a great program but use only Paypal to purchase it. I also hope that Don is okay. Even with a computer meltdown you would think he would have computer access somewhere so he could at least say something to let people know he was ok or to check his email.

rdrunr

rip off

I feel that I have been ripped by starrsoft. I sent a money order over a month ago & have heard nothing from them nor will they answer any e-mails. this may be the best software around but if I can't get a registration key then it is a waste of my money!!
AZScanner said:
I still say people are making a mountain out of a molehill.

Let's hear it - who are all the paying customers that didn't receive a reg key? I would think this forum would be flooded with replies based on the amount of squawking that's been going on for days now - yet another poster asked for the same thing and all I've heard so far is:

{crickets chirping}

I'll concede that he should have found a way to answer his email by now, and I find it odd that he hasn't. But I think the claims of people being "ripped off" are exaggerated and generally unfounded. I could be wrong though, so I'm asking for proof. If anyone has mailed in a check for a reg key and the check has cleared but NO reg key came back, let's hear it. If that's the case then there's cause for concern, but I seriously doubt Don would do such a thing.

-AZ

rdrunr

key

I would just like to get the key that I paid for over a month ago!!
James said:
From Dons site, Lic. agreement its clear( Reissuing a key is NOT guaranteed)

When you register, you will be issued a unique key that will allow Win96 to run past its 30-day trial period. DO NOT LOSE THIS KEY. You will need it any time you wish to install Win96 (new computer, new operating system, computer crash, etc.). In many cases, we can re-issue a registration key upon emailed request, but this is not guaranteed and may not get you a prompt response.

W9GC

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
This thread is a potential moneysaver...

Well I am glad I found this thread BEFORE risking the loss of $25 for the Win97 software.

Don Starr appears to be pretty unreliable when it comes to delivering what the customers pay their hard-earned dollars for. I'll give my business to ScanCat. The software seems reliable, and I've never heard a complaint about somebody getting ripped off by them.

I'll let y'all know if I have a problem with them.

rdrunr

registration key

OK you want to hear it ! I sent him payment over a month ago and have rec'd absolutly nothing from him. Not even an answer to various e-mails. I feel like i have been had.
rdrunr123@tconl.com

AZScanner said:
I still say people are making a mountain out of a molehill.

Let's hear it - who are all the paying customers that didn't receive a reg key? I would think this forum would be flooded with replies based on the amount of squawking that's been going on for days now - yet another poster asked for the same thing and all I've heard so far is:

{crickets chirping}

I'll concede that he should have found a way to answer his email by now, and I find it odd that he hasn't. But I think the claims of people being "ripped off" are exaggerated and generally unfounded. I could be wrong though, so I'm asking for proof. If anyone has mailed in a check for a reg key and the check has cleared but NO reg key came back, let's hear it. If that's the case then there's cause for concern, but I seriously doubt Don would do such a thing.

-AZ

Status
Not open for further replies.