Response on K4

Status
Not open for further replies.

scannerizer

Premium Subscriber
Never heard this before, but round 7pm, Engine 158 was sent on a call on K4. The voice page-out also said “Check MDC for details.”

I know Ks 2-5are usually admin, prevention, etc. and we all know K4 and 5 are encrypted. So how is this possible ?

Also, to avoid an extra post, what’s a “special call?” They tend to come up randomly.

KB7MIB

How is what possible?

Calls on K-4 are typically of a sensitive nature. They could have been sent to stand by while the PD SWAT team serves a search warrant. If the POTUS or other VIP comes into town, FD units will be a part of the local support, and they'll be on K-4. All of the FD radios have the encryption key for that talkgroup.

Details of a call can be passed on to a crew much easier via their MDC's in the apparatus, and the crew doesn't have to ask the dispatcher/tactical radio operator to repeat any of it to them, it's right there on the screen, for any call on any channel.

K-5 is not encrypted. I have heard clear transmissions on it.

A special call is simply a request for any other apparatus that may be needed on any particular incident, but that is not part of an upgrade to another alarm level. If a BC only needs one extra engine company or one ladder company at a 3&1 house fire, why ask for an upgrade to a 1st alarm, that would send 2-3 additional engines, an additional ladder company, additional BC's, and other units? Just ask for a special call of one specific type of apparatus that is needed.

John
Peoria

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
The most frequent "special call" is for a Utility truck (U-xxx) for SCBA compressed air, a light tower for FD / PD needs after dark, SCBA needed by PD for a decomposed body recovery, etc. On the perimeters of the valley, a Brush Truck (BR-xxx) is often used for small fires, ATC/ATV/4WD accidents, recreation accidents, etc.

KB7MIB

Asking for an FD rescue or medic unit would be a special call if one wasn't dispatched with the engine/ladder on the initial call, yes.

I'm not sure if asking for a private ambulance (AMR, Maricopa, Lifeline) would be considered a special call.

John
Peoria

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
So if an Engine/Ladder goes to attend a sick person call who needs to be driven to hospital, would that be a special call ?

When I was around, it wasn't considered a "special call" to have an ambo do a transport. There is a Phoenix ambo dedicated to stroke care and if an EMS assignment in the central city area came across a suspected CVA, they'd make a special call for that ambo.

Things may have changed, but a "spacial call" would be for apparatus that was out of the ordinary on a call: a Ladder for vertical access, a Battalion Chief for air ambo landing, 'Firebird' for a vertical rescue, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.