Restoring battery power to BC 200xlt

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjo1981

I have an old BC 200xlt scanner that has served me well since it was given to me used about a decade ago. In that time, the battery pack has never held a charge. What is my best option for making this a portable scanner again? As I see it, I can either: a) attempt to replace the rechargeable cells in the existing battery pack myself or b) send the pack somewhere to have the work done by a pro. I know how to solder, but I've had varying success when it comes to opening up electrical devices to make repairs.

I also did a search here and read in another thread that at one time you could purchase a battery pack for the 200xlt that takes AA batteries. Are these still available for purchase anywhere?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Uniden also has the BP205 batetry pack for sale: $30

800.554.3988 EXT 2864 to order

kjo1981

I ended up buying a "Racing Electronics" AA adapter-pack from a vendor on ebay. I didn't want to attempt opening up my orig. batt.-pack, but it looks like it would come open easily.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Baskt_Case

I ended up buying a "Racing Electronics" AA adapter-pack from a vendor on ebay. I didn't want to attempt opening up my orig. batt.-pack, but it looks like it would come open easily.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

If your still up to opening that up, its probably packed with standard sized rechargeable cells. And even if not, you can usually source anything you need.

I'd venture to guess that the original pack used NiCd cells, so an upgrade to NiMh would be an extreme improvement in battery life. And even if it has NiMh's, I bet they are low capacity (~1500 mAh or so, considering they are ~10 yrs old).

Heres 4 Pack Maha 2700mAh NiMh AA-Size for ~$15

And heres 4 Pack Tenergy 2600mAh NiMh AA-Size for ~$7

To compare heres Single Tenergy 1000mAh NiCd AA-Size for ~$1 piece

If you have some odd-size, both of those sites in those links have most of them.

If your old pack has NiMh's, you'd be all set to upgrade, if it contained the NiCd's, you could still upgrade to NiMh but it will likely take a very long time to charge them with the old charger. Maybe up to 3 times longer depending on the new cells. Would extend the ultimate lifetime of the cells but have you waiting possibly days for them charge. Of course, theres all kinds of ways around this, some simple mods so that you could use a newer, more suitable charger.

Let me know if you want to undertake this, I'd be glad to help.

Last edited:

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Rechargable batteries will only last through so many charges/discharges.

This is why most of today's scanners take regular rechargables in lieu of "packs".

This allows the use of an external charger/conditioner which greatly extends the life of the battery and increases charge retention time. If one battery goes bad the charger will tell you which only requires replacing one battery and not the hole pack.

kjo1981

Hi, I'm revisiting my thread again with another question: Does anyone know if it's okay to store my new battery pack with the rechargeable AAs in it? I know alkalines can sometimes leak, I had some leak in the battery compartment of a walkie-talkie recently. I'm not sure about rechargeable cells.

And also does it make a difference if the batt-pack is attached to the unit when not in use, as far as stability of the cells in concerned?

Frankly, this Racing Electronics aftermarket unit is a little chintzy. And, since I only use it when I need to 'go mobile', I'd like to avoid having to open and close it to remove the batteries when not in use as much as possible.

Thanks!

starman2012

Hey I have the Uniden BC60xlt-1. This is an old scanner so there is little information about this scanner online. I purchased some NiMH Duracel batteries yesterday at CVS for this scanner but when i installed them in the scanner, scanner will not turn on at all. I did charge the batteries completely with a 30 minute NiMH AA battery charger i bought at Radio Shack about a year ago. One thing I did notice, is that this scanner has a switch inside the battery cover for NiCad or regular Alkaline batteries. Dont mean to sound stupid, but did the scanner fail to come on becuae it doesn't take the NiMH batteries or am I doing something else wrong. Please let me know if you have any knowledge about this problem and if there is a fix to it. Thanks.

k3cfc

Silent Key
The switch is so you don't charge alkaline batteries by mistake. the scanner should work no matter the switch position. get your volt meter out and start by checking each battery to see it they are all charged. then go from there. i don't know your skills but look at it this way it doesn't work now so how bad could you make by trying to fix it.

Good luck

K3CFC

starman2012

yes i understand the purpose of the switch on this scanner. what i was asking is why won't the scanner operate on the four fully charged Duracel NiMh batteries no matter which way the switch is located??? I understand the scanner recommends NiCad batteries or alkalines but i just don't seem to understand why it wont take NiMH batteries. and yes, i have double and triple checked all batteries and they are fully charged. Is it maybe that the scanner is designed with internal circuitry which does not allow NiMH batteries??? let me know guys if any of you have any ideas of what's going on here. thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.