• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Retevis H-777 GMRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

jworld100

Last edited:

jworld100

Interesting I did see this on the reviews. "
A few points of clarification - these units operate in GMRS frequencies, transmit at greater than 0.5w, and have a removable antenna. They require a license with the FCC to use. They also come pre programmed to operate in wide band mode, but that is disallowed since 2013. Setting them up to our licensed frequencies and for narrowband use was trivially easy, but needs to be done to mitigate risk to your business.

Range far exceeds our needs, even communicating from floor to floor and building to building.

Do your diligence before committing to a frequency for your deployment! "

RFI-EMI-GUY

Wideband may be dissallowed in Part 90, but it is the normal, preferrable, mode in GMRS.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

jworld100

Last edited:

nd5y

As far as I know industrial/business pool-commercial conventional (IK) is only for service providers that lease air time.

nd5y

Are security companies under public safety or business. I can't seem to find it anywhere.
The links to the e-CFR web site I posted earlier state the eligibility requirements for both business and public safety.

You are going about this all wrong. You need to talk to a communications consultant or at least a radio shop instead of endangering your job and maybe your business by first bying junk radios and second getting legal advice from a hobby radio forum.

jworld100

Thank you, again the radios I have bought are not necessarily for the company I would just like to know what it would take to get radios for the company .

RFI-EMI-GUY

Thank you all, so what license if any would I need and is it even legal?

Businesses must be licensed under CFR47 Part 90. Any radio you buy should have an FCC certification number on it. If it does not, it may be a ham radio, or it may have a part 15 certification, again a ham radio. If the certification number is valid on an FCC ID search, you will find a grant and the grant should clearly say Part 90, not Part 9 or other gibberish. If it is a narrow band radio, it will have an emission designation like 11K3F3E or smaller number if DIGITAL. If it is cheap knock off radio, it might be analog and have something like 5K7F3E in which case it is low performing junk.

Bottom line buy radios from a reputable brand supplier. Expect to pay $400 or so each for a business grade radio. Amazon and e-bay are bad places to buy radios unless you are familiar with the model.

The US has been deluged with every manner of knock off crap from pharmaceuticals to mobile radios. That is the real national emergency.

RFI-EMI-GUY

The links to the e-CFR web site I posted earlier state the eligibility requirements for both business and public safety.

You are going about this all wrong. You need to talk to a communications consultant or at least a radio shop instead of endangering your job and maybe your business by first bying junk radios and second getting legal advice from a hobby radio forum.

^^^^ WHAT HE SAID^^^^

bill4long

Bottom line buy radios from a reputable brand supplier. Expect to pay $400 or so each for a business grade radio. Amazon and e-bay are bad places to buy radios unless you are familiar with the model.

There are several Wouxun, Baofeng, and other CCRs that are indeed Part 90 certified for under $100 and work just fine. I have several. It is worth the research to save the money. It is easy to look up the certification on the FCC website for any given model. A license is required to transmit, of course ($200 every two years), but coordination fees can be avoided by requesting frequencies the transient pool. Plenty of money to save if one has the will and time to do the research.

Status
Not open for further replies.