return of the penguin-napper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OkRob

phil_smith said:
Yeah, Chaos, what do you have against the Driller? :lol:
Personally, I think he's kind of cool. Probably the only one existing anywhere.

- Rob

mfolta1

i heard the golden driller suffered a concussion in the storm,,appearantly a branch flying thru the air hit him pretty hard. the hat he wears didnt help any. so lets go easy on him.......heh..

Chaos703

Now I feel bad.

Forgive me, fellas. By trade, I'm a book designer. My business requires an in-depth education in art history and popular design. And as lovable as the Golden Driller may be, by the technical definitions of fine art and sculpture, he's an absolute train wreck. An inexcusable blight on a city that is home to not one, but TWO of the nations premier art museums and one of the world's most recognized ballets.

But, in my fine art snobbery, I have forgotten one of the most important principles of modern design: the intrinsic value of a work is inexorably connected to its acceptance by the popular culture. And judging by everyone's reaction, the Golden Driller clearly has that acceptance. So despite how technically wrong he may be, he has evolved into a fun piece a kitsch that is now an endeared part of Tulsa history.

I should try appreciate him in the same way as I appreciate the Greek goddess oil lamp I have hanging over my desk at work. Her history is not so different than the Drillers. I hung her there as a joke but I have since grown to lover her. Deeply.

I'm sorry, Mr. Driller.

Attachments

• GoldenDrillerf1.jpg
    GoldenDrillerf1.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

peterjmag

Alright here is the latest. I think that John Earling has the penquin! I think Earling and Lafortune worked it out together to have there revenge on the City of Tulsa. What do you think Mark?

P.J.

Status
Not open for further replies.