Return to Scanner - I have a few questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

camay123

Premium Subscriber
I reside in Gatineau (Quebec), across the river from Ottawa (Ontario)

Here is the link in the radioreference database:

Gatineau Trunking System, Gatineau, Quebec - Scanner Frequencies

I used to own a realistic scanner a few years ago, and was able to listen to police , firefighter and ambulances. A few other things also.

Now, I have regain interest in scanning frequencies, but I have a few questions.

I would like to be able to listen to police and emergency crews in my city of Gatineau.

However, in the link I posted , it says that Gatineau police is encrypted and seems to be on Project 25 Phase I (FDMA)

First, what kind of handheld scanner would I need to listen to. and if the police is encrypted, does it mean i have no way of listening to police transmissions ?

Thanks in advance.

mciupa

Database Admin
Hi camay123,welcome to RadioReference :)

No, police communications cannot be monitored with a scanner :(

But with the digital models from Uniden,GRE or RadioShack you should be able to monitor the Fire Service.

BCD 996XT,BCD396XT, PSR 500/600, Pro 106/197 are the latest models.

camay123

Premium Subscriber
Out of the BCD 996XT, PSR 600 and Pro 197, does one have a jor advantage over the one or disadvantage ?

When buying such unit, does it come with a default antenna ?

mciupa

Database Admin
You know what is good to read?

If you go to the scannermaster link at the top of the page and click on any of the models that you mentioned, there is a review and comparison written by Richard Carlsen (who also happens to be a member here at RR) just under each of the feature descriptions, weighing the pros and cons of each.

One advantage that Uniden has over the PSR and Pro is the Freescan software.

Status
Not open for further replies.