Return to Scanning

JDE100

Premium Subscriber
Hello all,
I've been out of scanning for a really long time. Looking to get back in and lots of changes with trunking, Digital, etc. I live in Queen Creek, AZ and mainly want to listen to Fire/EMS calls in Queen Creek, San Tan Valley, Gilbert and Apache Junction. May want to listen into Mesa Gateway emergency. Maybe some Maricopa County Sheriff Queen Creek and Pinal County police. I am wondering the best scanner I can get to handle these requirements. I note the SDS100 but wonder if its overkill for what I need. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thank you

AzTac

An SDS100 is not only NOT overkill it is essential to worry-free, reliable monitoring of the various systems you'll have to manage to monitor the agencies you listed. There are less expensive scanners out there, but they are notoriously unreliable in managing the simulcast systems in use in our area. You might hear other people talk of success with lesser units, but they are entirely dependent on location, antenna placement, cell tower interference, etc., etc. SDS units eliminate virtually all of those issues.

If you're interested in listening to a relatively small number of agencies, you might research the Unication G4. It is a professional grade receiver initially intended as a pager for firefighters who could then monitor the associated radio traffic. It works beautifully on the Phoenix area simulcast systems. And, no, it doesn't function as a pager if you tell it not to. It is not a true "scanner", but functions very similar to one. As a bonus, the Unication units are on sale right now for about $500 - money well spent.

Bottom line: To effectively monitor the systems you mentioned, you will need the SDS100/200 or Unication. Period.

marlin39a

Premium Subscriber
Scanning in the Valley is expensive. I never go there, but the Uniden 100/200 is the way to go.

JDE100

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for the info. My house has the reflective sheathing in the attic. Will I be able to use scanner indoors with stock antenna?

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
Installing an internal attic mounted antenna would be futile, but if you place the scanner by a window or ideally in a 90 degree offset to perpendicular windows [a corner placement], that would be ideal for a stock antenna. 700/800 MHz signals have fewer problems getting into a residence than VHF does.

As others have correctly pointed out, your two choices for a radio are the Uniden SDS-100 or the SDS-200, due to simulcasting.