Return to Scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDE100

Hello all,
I've been out of scanning for a really long time. Looking to get back in and lots of changes with trunking, Digital, etc. I live in Queen Creek, AZ and mainly want to listen to Fire/EMS calls in Queen Creek, San Tan Valley, Gilbert and Apache Junction. May want to listen into Mesa Gateway emergency. Maybe some Maricopa County Sheriff Queen Creek and Pinal County police. I am wondering the best scanner I can get to handle these requirements. I note the SDS100 but wonder if its overkill for what I need. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thank you

AzTac

An SDS100 is not only NOT overkill it is essential to worry-free, reliable monitoring of the various systems you'll have to manage to monitor the agencies you listed. There are less expensive scanners out there, but they are notoriously unreliable in managing the simulcast systems in use in our area. You might hear other people talk of success with lesser units, but they are entirely dependent on location, antenna placement, cell tower interference, etc., etc. SDS units eliminate virtually all of those issues.

If you're interested in listening to a relatively small number of agencies, you might research the Unication G4. It is a professional grade receiver initially intended as a pager for firefighters who could then monitor the associated radio traffic. It works beautifully on the Phoenix area simulcast systems. And, no, it doesn't function as a pager if you tell it not to. It is not a true "scanner", but functions very similar to one. As a bonus, the Unication units are on sale right now for about $500 - money well spent.

Bottom line: To effectively monitor the systems you mentioned, you will need the SDS100/200 or Unication. Period.

marlin39a

Premium Subscriber
Scanning in the Valley is expensive. I never go there, but the Uniden 100/200 is the way to go.

JDE100

Thank you for the info. My house has the reflective sheathing in the attic. Will I be able to use scanner indoors with stock antenna?

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
Installing an internal attic mounted antenna would be futile, but if you place the scanner by a window or ideally in a 90 degree offset to perpendicular windows [a corner placement], that would be ideal for a stock antenna. 700/800 MHz signals have fewer problems getting into a residence than VHF does.

As others have correctly pointed out, your two choices for a radio are the Uniden SDS-100 or the SDS-200, due to simulcasting.

scannerizer

Premium Subscriber
Hello all,
I've been out of scanning for a really long time. Looking to get back in and lots of changes with trunking, Digital, etc. I live in Queen Creek, AZ and mainly want to listen to Fire/EMS calls in Queen Creek, San Tan Valley, Gilbert and Apache Junction. May want to listen into Mesa Gateway emergency. Maybe some Maricopa County Sheriff Queen Creek and Pinal County police. I am wondering the best scanner I can get to handle these requirements. I note the SDS100 but wonder if its overkill for what I need. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thank you

You definitely need a digital model, preferably one with simulcast support, like the SDS series.

The MCSO uses a brand new P-25 radio network. Mesa-Gilbert area fire dispatch (including QC) uses a mixture of vhf (B-Deck) and digital P25 trunked radio (C-Deck).

Hope it helps

VHF is simplex only, at least B3 is, so don't expect to hear fire ground traffic unless you are close.
Mesa FD is one of the few departments I hear that does not use the preferred NIMS/ICS calling protocol, anyone know why?

Vikingpiper

VHF is simplex only, at least B3 is, so don't expect to hear fire ground traffic unless you are close.
Mesa FD is one of the few departments I hear that does not use the preferred NIMS/ICS calling protocol, anyone know why?
Tell me about it. We can't even hear it on scene talking to each other.

Vikingpiper

Hello. I'm brand new to scanning and literally know almost nothing about it. I have a BCD996P2 and FreeSCAN to program it with. I'll mostly be listening to TOPAZ bcuz I work in that system, but I'd like to listen to other public safety that I am able to pick up in Queen Creek. I'm used to creating radio traffic, not scanning it. Can anyone direct me in where to begin? Thx.

KB7MIB

Like Phoenix, Mesa patches their analog conventional simplex VHF-High channels to their trunked system.
Unlike Phoenix, Mesa does not encrypt them. You can hear the fireground channels patched to the TOPAZ RWC Valley-wide.

B-1 is patched to TG 3096
B-2 should be patched to TG 3097 (has not been confirmed, and is not yet in the RRDB)
B-3 is patched to TG 3098
B-5 is patched to TG 3099

I can hear them off of the Thompson Peak and/or Shaw Butte sites.

John
Peoria

radiochuck

Traffic Reporter
Premium Subscriber
FWIW, although I do mostly use my SDS100, my BCD325P2 has also served me very well. I monitor the Anthem/New River simulcast with excellent results, but results may vary down in the valley. There's a pretty significant price difference between those two radios, however, that may be worth considering.

My main reason for wanting to get the SDS100 was the internal database. I was also looking to replace my old (non-P2 capable) Homepatrol-1.

Even with the internal database, I spend about as much time with favorites with the SDS100 than I do the BCD325P2, so really nothing gained there. It's part of the fun, though.

Vikingpiper

I can see why they prefer simplex but analog over digital modulation seems backwards.
After we moved to 800mHz, our radio communications were outstanding, clear as day. Like many other things Phx controls the tide. Because they were supposedly having problems communicating w/ 800 on the fireground, they decided to revert back to vhf for fireground. That forced us (on Mesa Alarm) to switch as well. We no longer can hear much of anything on the crap vhf on fireground, where 800 was crystal clear. We've complained and no one cares.

What are you referring to exactly? I've worked in that system for 22yrs, so I can prob shed some light.
If you followed normal protocol I would hear 'Alarm, east deputy' if he/she (don't recall hearing many female ICs) was calling what was a dispatcher in the old days.

You guys are much more vocal at accident scenes, everyone knows what the other groups are doing, it's very informative.
Here in central Indiana we might hear 'starting extraction' and finally 'victim removed' but never any medics asking for staging directions, vehicle protection, triage group, etc.

It's also interesting you still use real people to dispatch instead of an automated system, I swear one girl sounds like she's still in high school.

KB7MIB

Phoenix alarm has a couple of dispatchers who like to go live, and will override "Samantha" as the automated system voice has been nicknamed, when it's their turn on A1/K1. (All of the alarm room personnel rotate through the call taker, dispatcher, and tactical radio operator positions during the course of their shift.)

I believe Gila River FD uses "Samantha" as well.

John
Peoria

scannerizer

Premium Subscriber
@AzTac, seen that video one too many times.. @KB7MIB - just how long has it been since the PFD began using the "Samantha?" I was visiting some friends in 2010/11, and as far as I remember, they used human dispatchers, and the trunking idea was still a novelty then, anyway.

AzTac

scannerizer - It's a good thing then you didn't click "play" or you would have seen it two too many times... Do I detect a hint of bitterness or cynicism there?? There must be a backstory here (and, god no, I don't want to hear it.) It's just a curious reply from a guy unless he's wrestling with some tangential demons.

Status
Not open for further replies.