Returned to Scanning After 14 Years with a Pro-106

Status
Not open for further replies.

picassolsus

Hi all!,

I'll introduce myself- name's Derek and I'm coming back to the scanning hobby after a 14 year hiatus. I last scanned in the late 90's with a Pro-46, wow have things changed!

Anyways, so I did some research and determined my area (Shreveport/Bossier City, LA) is mostly digital so I went with a Pro-106. I've studied the manual a bit, and thumbed through the forums, but I suspect I might need to target my questions directly to other 106 users. So, if you have a second and can weigh in on these, please do and thanks in advance:

1.) Is there an easy way, either onboard the scanner or using Win500 that I can add all of the entries in a search range to a scan list? Example, I find myself switching from 'scan' to 'search' to quickly run through the GMRS/FRS/DOT pre-pgrogrammed search range often. I'd like to drop these same frequencies straight into a scan list that I can turn on and off in conjunction with my other lists I scan regularly.

2.) Back in the day, I had one of RadioShack's TERRIBLE frequency counters....God, I can't remember the model but I know I always wished I had an Optoelectronics model instead. Now with Signal Stalker, do you guys find it to be pretty reliable in pegging a frequency as opposed to a dedicated counter? Let me give you a scenario, and maybe a few of you could weigh in on how you would approach it. Example, when we pick up my daughter from daycare, the staff calls to the children's area over Shure wireless mics on their belts. Now, I know they are probably running around 170mhz area, but, let's assume I didn't know *quite* that specifically the range and I wanted to determine their freq. relatively quickly. Button by button, how have you guys found the quickest way to get Signal Stalker up and running when you've not got 30-45 minutes to hang around and wait on them to key the mics? Another scenario would be you pull into the parking lot outside Best Buy and see all of the staff walking around with walkies. Same situation, I know they're probably GMRS or FRS or the likes but how would you quickly setup your Signal Stalker to grab them?

Which leads to.....

3.) What's the easiest way to delete a configured Signal Stalked range? I can create one but it seems it gets thrown in with my default scan list which I believe is the proper behavior. However, I can't quite figure out how to turn it back off once its on.

4.) Back when I scanned last, the squelch dial could be turned all the way off on all channels even trunked 800mhz until you heard static. I notice with some of these new digital trunking systems I'm scanning, squelch doesn't even seem to matter-- even totally counter clockwise there's no static. This is accredited to the nature of a digital trunking system I'm assuming? I see conventional frequencies do still need squelching.

5.) If I understand correctly, a talkgroup is a collection of individual radios belonging to a certain control channel. So if I identified the radio of a specific individual I wanted to regularly listen to, is there some way to make that specific radio ID/serial number/identifier/whatever a favorite as opposed to adding the frequency to favorites? That way I could set an alert when that specific radio transmitted?

Thanks for taking the time for my long winded thread guys and it's great to be back!

I'm really enjoying the luxury afforded by Win500-- something like that was only a dream back when I first got started!

Take care,

Derek in Shreveport
Pro-106 running Win500 via Parallel's in XP on OSX Snow Leopard

CStarr59

Welcome to RR Derek! I currently do not have a Pro-106 so i can't answer your specific questions. But im sure the will be addressed shortly. Just wanted to welome you back to a great hobby.

rmiller818

1) Not that I know of, I simply added each of those frequencies as a conventional object and put them all in a scanlist in case I needed to scan FRS or GMRS etc.

Not going to answer 2 or 3 as I don't use it enough to know.

4) I am sure someone is going to come on here and say that squelch has no effect on trunk systems. While it does not have the effect that it does on conventional frequencies (open the squelch all the way and hear static) I will say from my experience it does have a little bit of influence. Sometimes if I turn it all the way down or up the scanner just stops receiving on the digital system I am monitoring and it doesn't start again until I adjust it more towards the middle.

5) Think of a talkgroup like a channel. Users can change to that talkgroup to talk. There is only one control channel and it "directs traffic" it assigns which frequency the transmission will be on for a specific talkgroup.

I have not done this myself but I believe if you create a talkgroup object, set the "Type" to Private you can then type a specific radio ID into the "Group or Radio ID" field and you should pick up anything that specific radio transmits.

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
Pro-106

Welcome back to scanning.

Hi all!,

I'll introduce myself- name's Derek and I'm coming back to the scanning hobby after a 14 year hiatus. I last scanned in the late 90's with a Pro-46, wow have things changed!

Anyways, so I did some research and determined my area (Shreveport/Bossier City, LA) is mostly digital so I went with a Pro-106. I've studied the manual a bit, and thumbed through the forums, but I suspect I might need to target my questions directly to other 106 users. So, if you have a second and can weigh in on these, please do and thanks in advance:

1.) Is there an easy way, either onboard the scanner or using Win500 that I can add all of the entries in a search range to a scan list? Example, I find myself switching from 'scan' to 'search' to quickly run through the GMRS/FRS/DOT pre-pgrogrammed search range often. I'd like to drop these same frequencies straight into a scan list that I can turn on and off in conjunction with my other lists I scan regularly.

Using the software look at the Search sweeper tab. Insert new and it will add a limit search move over to the search type tab change to GMRS or whatever it is you want. Assign that a scan list and that should do it. Then you can quickly tun on or off that scan list and have that search function included it your scanning when you want it and exclude it when you don't just by turning on or off that scan list.

2.) Back in the day, I had one of RadioShack's TERRIBLE frequency counters....God, I can't remember the model but I know I always wished I had an Optoelectronics model instead. Now with Signal Stalker, do you guys find it to be pretty reliable in pegging a frequency as opposed to a dedicated counter? Let me give you a scenario, and maybe a few of you could weigh in on how you would approach it. Example, when we pick up my daughter from daycare, the staff calls to the children's area over Shure wireless mics on their belts. Now, I know they are probably running around 170mhz area, but, let's assume I didn't know *quite* that specifically the range and I wanted to determine their freq. relatively quickly. Button by button, how have you guys found the quickest way to get Signal Stalker up and running when you've not got 30-45 minutes to hang around and wait on them to key the mics? Another scenario would be you pull into the parking lot outside Best Buy and see all of the staff walking around with walkies. Same situation, I know they're probably GMRS or FRS or the likes but how would you quickly setup your Signal Stalker to grab them?

Same as above or you can add a limit search 25 MHZ to whatever and turn it off an on while scanning same as above.

Which leads to.....

3.) What's the easiest way to delete a configured Signal Stalked range? I can create one but it seems it gets thrown in with my default scan list which I believe is the proper behavior. However, I can't quite figure out how to turn it back off once its on.

If using spectrum sweep and you want to go back to scanning hit scan. If you want to program a new search range create one and it will overwrite the current one.

4.) Back when I scanned last, the squelch dial could be turned all the way off on all channels even trunked 800mhz until you heard static. I notice with some of these new digital trunking systems I'm scanning, squelch doesn't even seem to matter-- even totally counter clockwise there's no static. This is accredited to the nature of a digital trunking system I'm assuming? I see conventional frequencies do still need squelching.

Find a level for your conventional channels and use it for all. Should be fine.

5.) If I understand correctly, a talkgroup is a collection of individual radios belonging to a certain control channel. So if I identified the radio of a specific individual I wanted to regularly listen to, is there some way to make that specific radio ID/serial number/identifier/whatever a favorite as opposed to adding the frequency to favorites? That way I could set an alert when that specific radio transmitted?

Think of a talk group as a virtual frequency. The control channel assigns the frequency to a talk group. That talk group can and will appear on any of the systems frequencies. If you want one particular radio ID to alert you when it's use set an alarm for that ID.

The control channel assigns each talk group a frequency each time a radio is keyed up. All members of that talk group will tune to that frequency automatically each time it changes. The frequency will most likely change each time a radio is keyed up so what's important is the talk group. As long as you have the control channel programmed you are good. You may also want the alternate control channel in case the system switches to it and then you won't miss out on anything. You can of course program every frequency in that system in but it isn't required.

Thanks for taking the time for my long winded thread guys and it's great to be back!

I'm really enjoying the luxury afforded by Win500-- something like that was only a dream back when I first got started!

Take care,

Derek in Shreveport
Pro-106 running Win500 via Parallel's in XP on OSX Snow Leopard

mikey60

Hi all!,

Welcome back to the hobby!

You can create a search object that will do this for you, and add it to the scan list of your choice. Exactly how to do that in WIN500 I don't know, since I don't use that one for some reason.. ;)

I've found the Signal Stalker to work pretty well at finding frequencies. If you know the approximate frequency range you can turn off some of the other bands to help speed it up.

You need to find the Object ID number that was assigned to that stalker object. Once you have that, in the scanner you can navigate to it and then Press PGM, FUNC, CL to delete it. You could also edit the object and assign it to another scan list if desired.

Trunking systems for the most part do not make much use of the squelch setting.

That being said if the squelch is set too high, it's possible that you may miss some transmissions from weaker sites/systems.

If it's set too low, and you have many frequencies programmed into the TSYS (Trunked System) object, it may take longer for the scanner to find the control channel frequency since it has to spend extra time looking at each frequency that breaks the squelch.

A talkgroup is a logical channel on a trunked radio system. If you know what talkgroups the specific radio has programmed into it you can program those into your scanner and listen to them, however there's no way to program a radio ID into the scanner, and have the scanner follow only the talkgroup that radio is on.

You can program the radio ID into the scanner and hear any private calls (sometimes referred to as I-Calls) that the radio is used for, but the scanner won't track talkgroups based on the radio ID.

Mike

picassolsus

Wow thanks for the responses.

Mike, that hit the nail on the head...just what I needed to know. I'll toss this stuff around a bit and get more comfortable with programming/editing/deleting on the unit itself-- using Win500 kinda kept me from having to get my hands dirty on the scanner itself doing stuff like that but for Signal Stalker maintenance I'm going to have to.

Thanks again guys!

Derek

rmiller818

Using the software look at the Search sweeper tab. Insert new and it will add a limit search move over to the search type tab change to GMRS or whatever it is you want. Assign that a scan list and that should do it. Then you can quickly tun on or off that scan list and have that search function included it your scanning when you want it and exclude it when you don't just by turning on or off that scan list.

Now that is good info right there, never thought to do that!

WelcomeBack!!

Congrats on the 106,,nice radio to make your re-entry to the spectrum with..

The Cust Serv-Relations from RS may blo-chunks...But the 106s do do a fantastic
job..
Enjoy...

picassolsus

Ack! Totally missed detroit's response until I saw it quoted by miller! Thanks detroit....

fourthhorseman, yeah I'm with you on the CS experience with RS...there was a time I could walk into Radio Shack and take my time browsing around idle, but now, they will hound your a$$ incessantly! Ask me just the once if I need help, after that I'll find you if I do! =)

Nascar18

Premium Subscriber
Search & Scan List

I know what your saying, in the old days you could either search or you could scan. Now with the 106 you can do both at the same time. I always have a *** search running while I am in scan mode. What you could do is put your search in a seperate scan list so you can turn it on and off when you want.
It is a great scanner....enjoy!!!!!

guitarbrian30

scan list

You can just set up the search/ stalker function in the tab within Win500.

SRCH/SWPR tab. just select service and tada. make a scanlist for that stuff you want too do. Makes life way easier. Also works for any other service such as CB or making your own search freqs.

if you have any problems just let me know.

Welcome back I was on the similar vacation. Now I am loving it. What a much needed break. Now things have changed so much. I used to work back at THE SHACK in the 90's what a bunch of drug dealers now. They just push phones now. Man on man what a shame.

picassolsus

Thanks again guys...

Yeah looks like scan lists are the way to go...had to rethink things from the earlier days of banks and channels though.

What I really like is the ability to record hits....really nice way to track activity if you leave it running at night.

These current guys at Radio Shack really will tell you most anything to make the sell. I try and do all my homework and ask questions on knowledgeable boards like this prior to going in....

Status
Not open for further replies.