Returning Listener - Need Advice On Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClwnMan76

First off, I hope I got the right forum. Like many of you probably, I'm so scared to post for fear I've chosen the wrong one or didn't read all the rules correctly or something. LOL

I haven't listened to a scanner for a few years now. I'm in Tampa, FL and am going to purchase a handheld scanner. I wanted to get opinions of you "in-the-know." If you could purchase ANY handheld scanner (money doesn't matter), what would be your top couple choices?

I really appreciate your help!! Thanks for being here to help us who are out of touch!!

P.S. I've posted on these forums several times under an old username so I'm not a complete newbie. :)

~Todd~

I haven't listened to a scanner for a few years now. I'm in Tampa, FL and am going to purchase a handheld scanner. I wanted to get opinions of you "in-the-know." If you could purchase ANY handheld scanner (money doesn't matter), what would be your top couple choices?

I'm partial to the 396XT Handheld:

https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/BCD396XT

It's a Phase 1 scanner. Solid and dependable. You won't read any complaints about it here!

Great sound too!

Note: Check your local area for PII systems.

Last edited:

MaXKiLLz

Here’s a complaint about my 396XT. It’s completely useless on my local police P25 Phase I simulcast system. I bought it for that purpose a while back and it has never been able to do it. About a week ago I bought a Unication G4 and my problems were solved. If your system is a P25 simulcast, you should definitely consider Unication. There are several youtube videos showing how it beats the Whistler TRX1 and Uniden SDS100 with reception of P25 simulcast. Take your time researching your options.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Instead of deciding on a scanner right off, do some homework on the system(s) in your area. The link below (links are always blue) goes to our database and shows everything members have contributed for the Tampa area. Read the entire page!

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=344

Go to our Florida forum and make yourself known. Search on groups.io and Yahoo to see if there are scanning email reflectors in your area. Gather information, and decide on what you want to hear. Then, and only then, should you make a decision on what to buy.

Get comfortable with our wiki - it's the largest one on the planet for scanning related info. We have numerous articles on just about every scanner out there. While the 396XT is a good scanner, it can't be upgraded for newer systems that are out there. However, depending on what you want to hear (what? Again? Yes) you may not need something newer.

Don't ignore the antenna in the equation. Can you put something outside? What are you trying to hear (there's that question again)? A good scanner with a crummy antenna is going to give you poor results. Mike

Last edited:

ClwnMan76

Go to our Florida forum and make yourself known. Search on groups.io and Yahoo to see if there are scanning email reflectors in your area. Gather information, and decide on what you want to hear. Then, and only then, should you make a decision on what to buy.

Thanks ka3jjz. That was the plan all along. Just wanted to multitask. :)

Appreciate the feedback. Headed there now.

Bolt21

Spark Chariot Driver
A Unication G4 or G5 has the best P25 decoding ability, but it is not a scanner, and is very limited in that capacity. It is technically a pager.

The Uniden SDS100 (handheld) is the best scanner for the direction that Hillsborough is headed, which is P25 Phase II. It is software defined, and is best equipped to handle the P25 simulcast distortion that plagues many of these new P25 systems. It's not perfect, but it's the best option out of the current scanners that are out there.

I started out with a BCD396T and then a BCD436HP for monitoring digital, and they haven't been tuned to a digital control channel since I got my SDS100.

ClwnMan76

The Uniden SDS100 (handheld) is the best scanner for the direction that Hillsborough is headed

Thanks so much. I appreciate the knowledge.

The "pager" you mentioned. This is new to me. Is something many are looking in to adding to their arsenal on top of scanners?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.