Returning My Pro-2096 - Need Local Advice For New Buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renegade631

Premium Subscriber
I seek advice from local pros... (and Joes)

After Reading about VTL 397 I realized mounting this unit in my vehicle in any sort of usable manner could easily get me arrested, I decided it is time to swap for a handheld unit. But now I'm wondering if I should just do a direct swap at RS (I just bought the thing and have all the receipts/packaging) for a Pro-96 or return it and consider buying a Uniden or GRE.

I hear bad things about Uniden reception, and my understanding is GRE makes the RS Radios.

I think Signal Stalker or Close Call is a very valuable feature, that I would expect in the $499 RS Units, but neither the 96 or the 2096 have such a feature I am aware of.

I haven't found it very useful in my first two days of scanning SCPD activity, but I want digital because I am sure many systems will switch to this over time, and SCPD which is primarily what I want to hear has already put some channels into digital, so I'm hoping digital will help prevent my investment from becoming obsolete as quickly.

And speaking of obsolete, my research has me fearing 700MHz trunking could turn either of the RS scanners into paperweights.

I know there isn't a simple answer, but input from people in my area who know their stuff would be very helpful right now...

mancow

Database Admin
Return it, get your money, buy a PSR-500. All the previous concerns will be alleviated.

Renegade631

Premium Subscriber
I traded it n for a Pro-96 @ RS. Would have liked to have gotten the GRE PSR-500 but couldn't find a local place to buy one quickly, and I am too hooked on my scanner to wait on the mail.

Listening to my local SCPD Precinct 800MHz analog trunking, I notice a little bit more static, but I can hear almost every word about as well as I could with the Pro-2096.

I'm a little ticked off because it says it will take any 9v 300mA AC or DC adapter with a C size plug, but sure enough my multiple voltage multiple size switchable polarity 300mA max, adapter just turns the thing off when I plug it in, so I need to try and buy another one after spending an additional $50 on rechargeable batteries with charger. But it doesn't specifically say "C Size" and the thing is old as hell.

Next time I have a few hundred bucks to blow I think I'll order a GRE PSR-500, but like I said I couldn't bear the thought of not having my new favorite toy to wait for mail and find out if it worked as well.

Anybody know of a cash and carry radio place in Suffolk other than RS?

WickedPC

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I do most of my ordering from Scanner Master and use basic shipping and get it overnight alot of the time .. I live in Central, NY..

Renegade631

Premium Subscriber
Almost forgot I bought the 800MHz antenna for the 2096, just put it on my96 and static is GONE!
Def worth the < $10 it cost me.

jleverin

I recently invested in a Pro 96, don't know if it will entirely meet my needs but it was only $379 with free shipping so it was a deal even if it doesn't work out. I have been told that the Pueblo area may not be the best for RS scanners but I couldn't pass it up because I still can't spend the $500 for a scanner right now. So well see, my pro 97 is still working okay for signals. When I can afford one, I might invest in a GRE 500 scanner

OTA-K

Don't fret too much over the SCPD digital stuff..Your not missing much..Plenty of activity on the analog channels..

jleverin

That's what I figured since the 97 is alway chattering either with police/fire/EMS or RR or sometimes airport transmissions. Plus all the city works stuff. About the only thing I can't pick up with it is the CSP. I just figured under $400 is about as cheap as I'll ever find the Pro 96, I've been browsing around for a while and haven't found one yet, most of the time if one IS cheap, it gets snatched up in a flash. I was told digital was coming, but it's apparently not here yet, maybe the cost is high and agencies just aren't switching till they have to. Don't know.......

Renegade631

Premium Subscriber
That's what I figured since the 97 is alway chattering either with police/fire/EMS or RR or sometimes airport transmissions. Plus all the city works stuff. About the only thing I can't pick up with it is the CSP. I just figured under $400 is about as cheap as I'll ever find the Pro 96, I've been browsing around for a while and haven't found one yet, most of the time if one IS cheap, it gets snatched up in a flash. I was told digital was coming, but it's apparently not here yet, maybe the cost is high and agencies just aren't switching till they have to. Don't know.......

I just paid $499 + $45 for a protection plan + Tax for a Pro-96, I'd say you did pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.