Returning to scanner hobby!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mperniciaro4

A small introduction, I got into the scanner radio hobby in 1989 and had many radios over the years including a digital trunk scanner (pro-651). I have been out of the hobby since 2014. I am getting back into the hobby, as I know the hobby has changed due to encryptions, etc. I am looking for advice of what scanner I may need . I live in the New Orleans area, and will be using the scanner on vacations.. advice I’d appreciated.

N8IAA

A small introduction, I got into the scanner radio hobby in 1989 and had many radios over the years including a digital trunk scanner (pro-651). I have been out of the hobby since 2014. I am getting back into the hobby, as I know the hobby has changed due to encryptions, etc. I am looking for advice of what scanner I may need . I live in the New Orleans area, and will be using the scanner on vacations.. advice I’d appreciated.

If you still have the 651, you'll be good to go. Unless you want to listen to the newer digital modes, DMR/NXDN.

I would go to the RR database and click on the area where you live. See what systems there are, and see what law enforcement groups are encrypted. Lots in N.Orleans.

Or, better yet, click on the report link in the bottom left corner of your post and ask a moderator to move your post to the Louisiana state forum. You might get much better answers there.
Welcome back!

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
I would suggest listing what systems you want to listen to, in the Louisiana forum first. You should be able to get good advice from users that listen near you. A scanner that works great in one location, may not work well in another.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber

And also... what is your budget for the new scanner? Seems like you're leaning towards a hand-held, but are you also considering anything in the base/mobile models?

mperniciaro4

Thank you for the advice . I am originally from the New Orleans area , then from 2005-2013 I lived in the Dallas area. Also I travel with my radio as well.

mperniciaro4

If you are getting a new handheld, I would suggest the Uniden SDS100. The SDS100 handheld and SDS200 base/mobile are the only 2 scanners designed to receive simulcast systems. The New Orleans and LWIN statewide systems are both simulcast. I believe New Orleans may be using the LWIN system. I suggest that you click on Report and request that your thread be moved to the Louisiana forum. There will be a lot of people in your area to answer any questions. Here are the links to the 2 systems: New Orleans Trunking System, New Orleans, Louisiana - Scanner Frequencies Louisiana Wireless Information Network (LWIN) Trunking System, Statewide, Louisiana - Scanner Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.