Returning to scanner monitoring!! New scanner ideas needed !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mperniciaro4

A small introduction, I got into the scanner radio hobby in 1989 and had many radios over the years including a digital trunk scanner (pro-651), but I no longer have the radio . I have been out of the hobby since 2014. I am getting back into the hobby, as I know the hobby has changed due to encryptions, etc. I am looking for advice of what scanner I may need . I live in the New Orleans area, and will be using the scanner on vacations.. advice I’d appreciated.

Spec605LA

Statewide Radio Jedi
Premium Subscriber
As far as Public Safety...
The only thing you'll be able to hear in Orleans is NOFD and LSP, everything else is encrypted. Same goes for Jefferson, Plaquemines, and St Bernard. Rail, Air, and Public works and Amateur Radio are in the clear.

The Uniden BCD325P2 portable is a good one. BCD996P2 is the base/mobile. But both will require software to program. HomePatrol 2, BCD436HP, BCD536HP, SDS100, and SDS200 are great ones that will program by zip code. All in how much you want to spend.

The Uniden BCD325P2 portable is a good one. BCD996P2 is the base/mobile. But both will require software to program.
I own both.

Excellent radios and both use the same programming.

I use Freescan, which is FREE.

Here's a link:

Bob1955

As far as Public Safety...
The only thing you'll be able to hear in Orleans is NOFD and LSP, everything else is encrypted. Same goes for Jefferson, Plaquemines, and St Bernard. Rail, Air, and Public works and Amateur Radio are in the clear.

The Uniden BCD325P2 portable is a good one. BCD996P2 is the base/mobile. But both will require software to program. HomePatrol 2, BCD436HP, BCD536HP, SDS100, and SDS200 are great ones that will program by zip code. All in how much you want to spend.
The Bearcat BCD-996P2 is a great base/mobile scanner and problem free too. Currently, Bearcat Warehouse in Maryland has the best price on it at $379.99 and their website is www.bearcatwarehouse.com and free shipping and no sales tax. Go online and you will see Paul there.
Stay safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.