Reusing Dish TV Mount

horizon1015

I am trying to re-use a Dish TV mount as an antenna mount for a discone antenna used to feed a scanner. Because of the height of the antenna, I cannot just attach it directly to the mount, I need to add some additional masting. The problem is, I can't find a way to attach additional masting. The OD of the mount is 1.66 inches, which appears to be the same as galvanized fence posts but I cannot find a coupler. I would also be happy to use a larger or smaller diameter mast pole that would fit inside or outside the existing mount pole.

I would prefer to keep costs down as the feed is just something I do for fun, any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks!

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
A $10 5’ TV mast will fit inside and probably get your antenna above the roofline. Get creative with whatnot inside the J-mount to hold the mast vertically.

KD9KSO

I re-used a Dish mast that is about 4' tall. I strapped my antenna mast to it using two stainless steel U-bolts.

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
I re-used a Dish mast that is about 4' tall. I strapped my antenna mast to it using two stainless steel U-bolts.
U bolts are ok if the mast sizes are identical and they are the proper size. Or if they have V blocks they will work with different size masts but that will cost more. Hose clamps will accommodate different size masts and will work better and are cheaper.

horizon1015

I've decided to go with a piece of chain link fence top bar, cut down a bit, and attached via mast clamps. Of course the higher the mast the better reception I'm going to get but I think the standard 10 ft 6 inch 17 gauge top bar would either snap or twist the mount out of the roof eventually because of wind without guying and I don't want to do that. I think I'm going to cut it to an even 8 ft and see how things look/feel.

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
If you have a DirecTV Slimline mount with 2” old mast and two outrigger arms it should be ok with an 8ft mast and Discone. If you don’t have the outrigger arms and especially of its not the 2” od Slimline mount I would not add any more than a foot or two of mast, and it will only be as strong as whatever the single mounting foot is attached to.