Reverse-Burst on the 500/600

Status
Not open for further replies.

W2SJW

Database Admin
Guys,

Skimming the techno-babble at the back of the 500's owners manual, I came across the section that covers the remote control protocol. I saw a line in there about 'reverse burst'.

Does the unit actually do that on conventional channels when you have them set with a PL? I'm pretty darn sure that a DSP as powerful as the one in this radio could recognize the burst.

I listen to quite a few conventional PD's here in NJ with my XTS5000 that use reverse-burst on their repeaters, and the total lack of squelch-tail on the audio has me spoiled! :lol:

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Guys,

Skimming the techno-babble at the back of the 500's owners manual, I came across the section that covers the remote control protocol. I saw a line in there about 'reverse burst'.

Does the unit actually do that on conventional channels when you have them set with a PL? I'm pretty darn sure that a DSP as powerful as the one in this radio could recognize the burst.

I listen to quite a few conventional PD's here in NJ with my XTS5000 that use reverse-burst on their repeaters, and the total lack of squelch-tail on the audio has me spoiled! :lol:

Reverse Burst is actually a feature of the transmitting unit; it works by reversing the phase of the PL encoder just prior to carrier drop so the receiving radio closes up before that annoying squelch crash.

You're right, it's easy to get spoiled when listening to agencies that use it. I have it on my ham repeater and love it...

W2SJW

Database Admin
Looks like I need to get my conventional entries up & running in my 500 & see...

Status
Not open for further replies.