Alinco: Review: Alinco DJ-500T (2nd Generation)

Status
Not open for further replies.

baayers

It's actually pretty good. I like the look of it too. I don't see a need to replace/upgrade it for now. I tried one of those $10 17.7" antennas from E-Bay but it was too long for practical use.

Unfortunately, Laird quit making whip antennas for portables. You can always buy the Motorola antennas though since the DJ-500 uses the SMA-Female connector. (For single-band usage.)

Here's a pic of the Motorola UHF antenna on the DJ-500 and the DJ-500 antenna on the Motorola. It looks cute:

mots1.jpg

Here's a place to buy the various single-band antennas if you get curious:

Motorola XTS 5000 Portable - ShopWiscomm

Oh I forgot that Motorola makes a dual-band VHF/UHF for their APX 7000 series:

PMAT4001A PMAT4001 - Motorola APX Dual Band Antenna VHF UHF GPS - ShopWiscomm

Kind of pricey but I may give that a shot for fun.

I am thinking about getting this radio but had a question for you? Does the radio have the male connector like the Baofeng or the female like the Yaesu / Uniden scanners. When you mentioned the female connector I wasn't sure whether you meant on the antenna or the actual radio.

Thanks in advance for your answer.

SCPD

QRT
Does the radio have the male connector like the Baofeng or the female like the Yaesu / Uniden scanners. When you mentioned the female connector I wasn't sure whether you meant on the antenna or the actual radio.

SMA Male. It uses the SMA Female antennas.

baayers

I just ordered a 500T from HRO this morning so I am looking forward to getting to know this radio.

Also thanks John for your earlier comment on the cable. I found it and saw your review so I know I am getting the right one. Since 7 found the driver automatically I hope 8.1 will do the same. If not I see me spending a bit of time this weekend on my 7 laptop.

kd4sas

Programming DJ-500T 2nd Gen

I have the cable, but the Alinco program does not find the radio.
Do I plug the cable into the Ear jack?
Do I put radio in the clone mode?

I selected the model, and the com port. I am using the OPC 478 cable.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

remtronix

Thanks

Make sure you select the correct Model "DJ-500T" If the problem persist, contact us at 510-298-5100 and ask for Tech Support

Attachments

• DJ-500T.jpg
    DJ-500T.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 2,415

N8IAA

Thanks

Silly question, have you actually read the manual to see how to connect to the software? You're asking questions that can be answered by doing this simple thing.
Larry

wb7ond

Premium Subscriber
DJ500 Programming

I am sorry to have disturbed you, the software has only a HELP->ABOUT, the DJ500 manual does not seem to have computer programming as a section.

Again please excuse me, this was my first time at this forum, I will seek help elsewhere in a more novice forum...

Regards
wb7ond

wb7ond

Premium Subscriber
Alinco DJ500 Programming

Raj from Remtronix (sp?) Alinco Tech support was super helpful, and got me going. If you need help with an Alinco HT they are the folks to help. Thanks again RaJ...

Regards
WB7OND

remtronix

I am sorry to have disturbed you, the software has only a HELP->ABOUT, the DJ500 manual does not seem to have computer programming as a section.

Again please excuse me, this was my first time at this forum, I will seek help elsewhere in a more novice forum...

Regards
wb7ond

wb7ond, I would personally suggest you utilize 3rd party RT System program. Its developed in USA with better interface and easier to us.

That said if you need further assistance, please contact us at 510-298-5100 PST M-F

towerk

I'm using the OPC-478 cable and the software can see the radio, but the setband app to expand the freq range won't allow me to set the expanded range.

That doesn't seem to be a cable issue. I can read radio with the setband app as well.

Any thoughts?

Keith
K3KPH

towerk

Has anyone successfully expanded the TX range of the DJ-500T?

Getting frustrated and may sell the unit.

Keith
K3KPH

towerk

Thanks for the cryptic answer that doesn't help anybody. I'll infer that it's the cable and that you've successfully expanded the TX range with that combination. It's never confirmed anywhere in the thread.

Typical non answer that permeates this forum and gives hams a bad name

Thanks for nothing.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
It would be cynical for me to say "Typical hand-me-a-cookbook-for-doing-exactly-what-I-need-to-do-because-I-don't-have-time-to-research-it-myself" question that we often see from new posters in this forum..so I won't say that.

If you read through nickcarr's posts, you will find your answers. Nickcarr owes you nothing and has already posted some very useful information about this radio in this thread. Whether or not he chooses to help you is up to him.

ae4x

Satellite

Anyone know if these would work way for the birdies?
73, Rob. AE4X

SCPD

QRT
Anyone know if these would work way for the birdies?
73, Rob. AE4X

Yes the sub-display can show your Rx 70cm downlink frequency and the main band will be the Tx 2m uplink.

For speaker audio, the main band frequency takes precedence. So the only catch is that if you heard someone locally on the 2m uplink frequency then you won't be able to hear the 70cm downlink audio.

Obviously you'll need some kind of directional antenna as well. (The Arrow antenna would work well with a SMA-BNC adapter.)

zwoerdkop

There are no sources to be found in the whole wide world that could probably answer the two extremely intelligent questions of kd4sas:

1. In which hole do you have to pound the programming cable in, the ear jack or the microphone jack?
2. Do you have to use the CLONE mode?

kd4sas was accused for asking 'silly questions' and advised to RTFM.

But: the question is still unanswered!

So who dares to answer the Two Holy Questions after all?

Thanks!

towerk

The cable only fits into the earphone jack. It's the thicker of the 2 connectors on the typical kenwood cable.

In my experience, when using Alinco software, the radio automatically goes into and out of cloning mode then resets the radio immediately after.

Liking the radio so far, battery life is suspect but I'm not drawing conclusions just yet as I've only had to pwer drain cycles on the radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.