Alinco: Review: Alinco DJ-500T (2nd Generation)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioVoice

Out-Of-Band for DJ-500T

Yeah it looks like there's a redirect. This is the direct link.

http://alinco.ru/files/PO/DJ_500SetBandSetup_1.00.rar

I clicked on the above link and all I get is "Cannot Display Page".

I got my DJ-500T from AES in Las Vegas last week, and bought the Alinco USB programming cable there too.

I read the radio, changed the Type from DJ500T to DJ500, but when I try to Write to the radio the software refuses to allow me to do so.

What is the full/correct procedure to out-of-band this radio?

Steve/N7JLF

RadioVoice

DJ-500T

Steve, check your downloads folder for the software and/or check your internet settings. The link works fine.

When I click on "Open", I am asked 'how do you want to open it?', but it refuses to open.

I prefer to use software that does what it's told/when it's told...this does not seem to fit into that category.

Steve/N7JLF

SCPD

QRT
When I click on "Open", I am asked 'how do you want to open it?', but it refuses to open. I prefer to use software that does what it's told/when it's told...this does not seem to fit into that category.

That's because it's using a compressed file format. It's just like ZIP. Download and install WinRAR from here... then when you double-click on the Alinco software it'll open properly.

WinRAR archiver, a powerful tool to process RAR and ZIP files

RadioVoice

SCPD

QRT
This is what I get after doing the above...

Sorry Steve, I'm not sure why it's so complicated. Once the WINRAR software is installed you can just double-click on the file that was downloaded and extract the EXE file to your desktop. Then launch the EXE file.

I can't see what you're doing exactly so can't really offer any suggestions.

RadioVoice

When someone writes some software that does what it's told-when it's told, ie; runs/opens when Run or Open is clicked, please let me know. In the mean time, neither of the above reccommended pieces of software will function.

Steve/N7JLF

lakefan

Premium Subscriber
Procedure for opening up transmit on DJ-500T

So what is the procedure for using the Alinco software (1.02 is their latest version) to open up the transmit?

RustySpoons

Just come across this from a google search,

I recently bought a DJ-500, you don't need the software to enable the extra bands, just hold down the button below PTT and D on the keypad, it will say MODE, there are 4 options, I think option 1 opens it all up, 3 was the default on the UK model.

Also this unit seems to be identical to the Anytone AT-3208 but with some extra features.

RustySpoons

Just come across this from a google search,

I recently bought a DJ-500, you don't need the software to enable the extra bands, just hold down the button below PTT and D on the keypad, it will say MODE, there are 4 options, I think option 1 opens it all up, 3 was the default on the UK model.

Also this unit seems to be identical to the Anytone AT-3208 but with some extra features.

Sorry typed this out on my phone in bed last night,

Meant to say I came across this site on google, my original post when read seems as if I came another post via google.

Mode 1 got me from 440 up to 480 on UHF Tx/Rx though I did not check FM.

RustySpoons

Here are the frequencies for Tx/Rx on each mode:

Mode 1
UHF 400-480 Mhz
VHF 136-174 MHz

Mode 2
UHF 400-480MHz
VHF 144-146 MHz

Mode 3
UHF 430-440 Mhz
VHF 146-174 MHz

Mode 4
UHF 430-440 Mhz
VHF 144-146 MHz

SCPD

QRT
Here are the frequencies for Tx/Rx on each mode:

Mode 2
UHF 400-480MHz

Correction. Mode 2 is UHF 420-450 Mhz. Do you have the "T" model Rusty? The mode settings may be different for each radio type.

So on the "T" model you want to be in Mode 1. That completely unlocks the PTT for the maximum range.

Instructions:

**Doing this will wipe your memories!**

1. Turn off DJ-500T
2. Hold down PF2, D and turn on DJ-500T (until you see the Mode screen)
3. Use the primary knob to select MODE 1
4. Press "D" key to leave the menu
5. Turn off DJ-500T
6. Turn on DJ-500T (reset will happen)
7. Done

RustySpoons

Correction. Mode 2 is UHF 420-450 Mhz. Do you have the "T" model Rusty? The mode settings may be different for each radio type.

So on the "T" model you want to be in Mode 1. That completely unlocks the PTT for the maximum range.

Instructions:

**Doing this will wipe your memories!**

1. Turn off DJ-500T
2. Hold down PF2, D and turn on DJ-500T (until you see the Mode screen)
3. Use the primary knob to select MODE 1
4. Press "D" key to leave the menu
5. Turn off DJ-500T
6. Turn on DJ-500T (reset will happen)
7. Done

Hi Nick,

I have the E model. 1 does open everything up for me though. I wish there was a way to change PF2 to a PTT on the sub band like the Anytone this is based off.

RustySpoons

Also I worked out you don't need to press D after selecting mode change, just restart the radio, but I haven't checked if the frequencies remain.

I can't find a programme cable where I live (Only the mega expensive Alinco cable which costs as much as the radio! or a cheap Prolific cable which there are reports of it not working) I have some CP2102 chips but can't get them to work, it seems to use an odd 2 wire circuit.

RustySpoons

Made a lead using a Prolific chip, even the band set App works fine, can read and write using the DJ_500_1.02 programme too :)

Now need to find a way to hack PF2 to be 2nd PTT as per the Anytone radio.

RustySpoons

Under Function box you can change the startup name, mine no longer Says WELcome,

It now says ALINCO
DJ-500

But you can change it to what you like, such as your Callsign.

RustySpoons

Make a cheap cable that works to read/write program and extend frequencies.

Get this cable

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CP0I474?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Pop the cover on the USB side with a knife, you will see 3 wires soldered to the board, unsolder them and discard the cable. Get a cable with a 3.5mm jack plug (or make one), bottom ring on the 3.5mm plug goes to Ground on the board, next ring up (centre ring) goes across TX and the RX pads on the board, solder it straight across. Don't connect anything to the tip.

This worked for me 100% and also works in x64 Windows 8.1.

Even printed a little Alinco label with my label printer, just setting for a few hours with some Sugru for the cable flex.

Attachments

• 20150227_114930.jpg
    20150227_114930.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 1,849
Last edited:

RohnsRadio

Premium Subscriber
read the review

just read the review in QST about this radio.
It looks good. Alinco has always been good to me.
The thing I dont like is doesnot not cover airband.
Any thoughts about that?

Status
Not open for further replies.