Alinco: Review: Alinco DJ-500T (2nd Generation)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lakefan

Premium Subscriber
Programmability of DJ-500T after opening up transmit

Has anybody had any luck with using the Alinco or RT Systems software to program the DJ-500 after opening up the transmit? (In Mode 1).

I found that the RT Systems software won't recognize the radio if it's placed into Mode 1 (extended RX and TX)

Chuck

nonperson

Has anybody had any luck with using the Alinco or RT Systems software to program the DJ-500 after opening up the transmit? (In Mode 1).

I found that the RT Systems software won't recognize the radio if it's placed into Mode 1 (extended RX and TX)

Chuck
A little late But I'll throw this out here for others...

I just got the 500TB model today. I e-mailed RT systems about their software for the 500 series models. They informed me the software will work on the the 500TB model and I will be able to able to program out of the ham band on it. But he radio would have to be capable of it. How ever their software will not "unlock it" or open up the frequency range. They also said I would have to read from the radio first so it will know witch model I have.

So far I can't do anything with the radio until I can get a programming cable for it. however i like the feel of it more than the Wouxun.

sas73

Does anybody know how to program this Alinco HT for FM satellites ?
I can not figure out how to program channels (manual or via software)
TX-2m RX-70CM.
Help please.

73!

nonperson

A little late But I'll throw this out here for others...

I just got the 500TB model today. I e-mailed RT Systems about their software for the 500 series models. They informed me the software will work on the the 500TB model and I will be able to program out of the ham bands on it, if it's been unlocked for extended transmit. However their software will not unlock it or open up the frequency range. They also said I would have to read from the radio first so it will know witch model I have.

So far I can't do anything with the radio until I can get a programming cable for it. however I like the feel of it more than the Wouxun.
Fixed it.^

I played with the 500TB some more and discovered that if I change the mode set in it like as described in this thread It will unlock it.

Mode 1 didn't appear to do anything at first as far as unlocking it so I could punch in frequencies on the key pad. However after trying the other modes I could change the frequencies after I reset it back to Mode 1.

Mode 2 unlocked it for the US HAM bands and made it possible to change frequencies and transmit only in the HAM bands.

Mode 3 set it the the European HAM bands.

Mode 4 unlocked transmit on all frequencies and extended the range on UHF. The radio will now do 136.000 MHZ to 174.000 MHZ and 400.000 MHZ to 523.000 MHZ.

So far I like the radio and the audio sounds great!

Hans13

True narrowband RX or not?

After looking through the specifications for the DJ-500T, I noticed that it states "Modulation F3E(16K0F3E/11K0F3E / RX only WFM)." On the internet, I've noticed that people are stating that this radio has true narrowband receive. Has anyone actually tested it?

This came to my attention while glancing through the specification pages for the Alinco DJ-500T, Anytone AT-3208UVII, and Anytone TERMN-8R for another thread in the "Budget and Entry Level Transceivers" forum where I suggested that the three might be the same radios with different cases and firmware. If they are, this might open up the possibility of using some of those accessories with the DJ-500T. There appears to be an affordable 2400 mAh battery available from AnytoneTech.

Does anyone know if the Kenwood/generic Baofeng UV5R lapel mic/speaker will work with this radio?

Alinco DJ-500T Second Generation manual (specs begin on page 46), http://alinco.com/pdffiles/Instruction/Handheld/dj500-2insweb.pdf.

Last edited:

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
After looking through the specifications for the DJ-500T, I noticed that it states "Modulation F3E(16K0F3E/11K0F3E / RX only WFM)." On the internet, I've noticed that people are stating that this radio has true narrowband receive. Has anyone actually tested it?
This radio has the ability to receive FM broadcast transmissions, hence the "RX only WFM" statement in the specs. "WFM" in this case is referring to broadcast FM.

An emission designator of 16K0F3E indicates that the radio will transmit FM voice using a bandwidth of 16 kHz which is equivalent to an FM deviation of +/- 5 kHz (look-up Carson's law for the theory behind this relationship). This is the "standard" FM deviation for amateur radio in the U.S. An emission designator of 11K0F3E indicates that the radio will transmit FM voice using a bandwidth of 11 kHz which is equivalent to an FM deviation of +/- 2.5 kHz which is also generally known as narrowband FM. One can assume that if the radio transmits narrowband that it also receives it.

Hans13

This radio has the ability to receive FM broadcast transmissions, hence the "RX only WFM" statement in the specs. "WFM" in this case is referring to broadcast FM.

I considered that but I'm ignorant at the moment about the emission designations and like. Thanks a lot for clearing that up for me.

The reason I was questioning it was because radios such as the Yaesu FT-60R can transmit narrow but cannot receive narrow. There is, I guess, an audio level loss that the radio has to bump up the volume to compensate for.

Last edited:

vancouverbc

Correction. Mode 2 is UHF 420-450 Mhz. Do you have the "T" model Rusty? The mode settings may be different for each radio type.

So on the "T" model you want to be in Mode 1. That completely unlocks the PTT for the maximum range.

Instructions:

**Doing this will wipe your memories!**

1. Turn off DJ-500T
2. Hold down PF2, D and turn on DJ-500T (until you see the Mode screen)
3. Use the primary knob to select MODE 1
4. Press "D" key to leave the menu
5. Turn off DJ-500T
6. Turn on DJ-500T (reset will happen)
7. Done

I have a new DJ-500TB in what was described as "Amateur" mode by the place I purchased it from. The above steps don't appear to work for me in trying to open up TX. I can't seem to get to the MODE screen.

**Holding D and PF2 while turning on the radio does nothing.
**Holding just PF2 while turning on the radio brings it into DSP and RESTOR options, but nothing about modes.
* Holding PF1 while turning on the radio puts it into CLONE mode. Pressing PTT while on this screen makes a little "04" show up, but nothing else.
* Holding PTT while turning on the radio does nothing. However, it displays ALINCO on startup rather than the usual WEL - COME.

Any ideas? I'm new to this and feel like I'm missing something glaringly obvious. Maybe they've changed the way to access the MODE setting?

Any help would be appreciated.

Hans13

Any ideas? I'm new to this and feel like I'm missing something glaringly obvious. Maybe they've changed the way to access the MODE setting?

We just got in a fresh DJ-500T here and the PF2 & D at power-up worked. The mode on this radio was originally set at 2. IIRC, mode 4 opened it all the way up. Not that it matters, but, I held PF2 and then held D while powering on. The first time it was tried, it did nothing because I hadn't held the D key down long/well enough. It can be tricky. Make sure you are holding them both at power up until the radio cries "uncle". You could try the software method mentioned earlier in the thread but I have no first hand experience with that method.

Please report back if you get it to work or not. I'm sure many of us would be interested if a model doesn't allow the mode change. If you do get it working, please note the original mode number and post it. Hope you can get it working.

Love this radio, BTW.

SCPD

QRT
I have a new DJ-500TB in what was described as "Amateur" mode by the place I purchased it from. The above steps don't appear to work for me in trying to open up TX. I can't seem to get to the MODE screen.

The DJ-500TB is Alinco's new commercial version of the radio. The front panel is locked unless you unlock it via software. It likely doesn't share the same firmware as the DJ-500 amateur model. You'll probably need the proper USB cable to unlock it. The unlocking software on this thread probably won't work for you.

ALINCO DJ-500TB Handheld Transceiver VHF/UHF with 1500 mAh Li-ON battery pack

Note: This is a commercial radio. The front panel is locked to prevent programming in the field. We have free sotware on our site to unlock or you can choose to get the RT systems programming cable and software to unlock it if you want.

Commercial Part 90 Type accepted

RX Range 136-174 and 400-480
TX Range 144-148 and 420-450

Hans13

Nickcarr,

First let me say thanks for the good information you posted in this thread. Because of it, we bought one and couldn't be happier. Thank you! You saved us the money that we really didn't have in the budget to spend. :)

Second, I thought nonperson was able to unlock his DJ-500TB without a cable. There was only one day between his posts, so I had assumed he managed to get it unlocked through the keypad and didn't wait for a cable. Perhaps, my assumption was wrong or I misunderstood his post.

All... If anyone managed to unlock a DJ-500TB through the keypad alone, please post as I want to be prepared with a cable and the software should we end up with a commercial model at some point.

Nonperson, did you get yours unlocked by the keypad or did you use the software and cable?

SCPD

QRT
Golftango posted one page back in this thread that his DJ-500TB was unlockable through the keypad.

Second, I thought nonperson was able to unlock his DJ-500TB without a cable. There was only one day between his posts, so I had assumed he managed to get it unlocked through the keypad and didn't wait for a cable. Perhaps, my assumption was wrong or I misunderstood his post.

Okay I get that but did you unlock the keypad??? The TB has the keypad locked by default so [the mod] probably won't work unless you have done that already using the software.

Hans13

Okay I get that but did you unlock the keypad??? The TB has the keypad locked by default so [the mod] probably won't work unless you have done that already using the software.

I don't know yet if DJ-500TB owners will have to unlock the keypads first. I defer to your greater knowlege of the unit. But, if they have been able to change modes without software, it wouldn't be the first time a device didn't work as expected. I'm hopeful that DJ-500TB owners can because two have posted here who might not have needed to unlock the keypad with software. Maybe they will post back (unless I missed it in their posts) and clarify if they had to use software to unlock the keypad.

It's personally important to me because we might be purchasing 4 or more soon and we would prefer the TB model (for the cert. label).

vancouverbc

The DJ-500TB is Alinco's new commercial version of the radio. The front panel is locked unless you unlock it via software. It likely doesn't share the same firmware as the DJ-500 amateur model. You'll probably need the proper USB cable to unlock it.
Makes sense, thanks much! By proper USB cable do you mean the Alinco one? Or does the RT Systems version work?

Golftango posted one page back in this thread that his DJ-500TB was unlockable through the keypad.

look back through this thread,

here's what worked for me on a brand new 500tb:

hold pf2 and 'd'
power on
select 'mode 1' with ch dial
power off
power on

/guy

Hey golftango, any ideas on how to get my 500TB unlocked? Were you able to do this without any sort of cable? Or did you need to unlock the keypad first?

Fixed it.^

Oh? It kind of seemed that way to me as well reading through this thread. Nonperson any ideas for me?

This seems likely, but what do you mean "keypad locked"? I am able to use the keypad for various other setup menus and programming. It definitely seems likely that they blocked this particular setup menu hard-reset somehow.

Appreciate everyone's help, and I'll report back as soon as I have something concrete. I'll give the dealer a call tomorrow and see if I can get some clarity, they seem pretty dialled.

Cheers!

Hans13

The DJ-500T is doing great. I'm hitting a UHF repeater 50 miles away, day or night. I can hear another one even farther away but I haven't asked for permission yet to use it.

So, those people who unlocked their DJ-500TBs... did you have to use software first to get the keypad opened up? Inquiring minds want to know... Pretty please!

Vancouverbc, any status update?

vancouverbc

The DJ-500T is doing great. I'm hitting a UHF repeater 50 miles away, day or night. I can hear another one even farther away but I haven't asked for permission yet to use it.

So, those people who unlocked their DJ-500TBs... did you have to use software first to get the keypad opened up? Inquiring minds want to know... Pretty please!

Vancouverbc, any status update?

No progress. Dealer said that to turn it into a commercial radio in Canada they'd need to have them upgrade the TCXO so that it passes Industry Canada's requirements, and that they'd also have to unlock the software and have me do the commercial paperwork.

I'm not opposed to any of that, just taking my time hoping someone can give some insight here. I prefer to have a full understanding of how all my gear works and get my hands dirty myself.
-bp

nonperson

Sorry I've been a way for a while.

I unlocked my 500TB through the key pad using the method posted earlier in this thread for the 500T.

Apparently you have to change it to one of the other modes then back again to mode 1 for that frequency coverage AND still be able to enter stuff through the key pad. The first time I set it to mode 1 the key pad was still locked for me. But after trying it on the others I put it back on mode 1 and I could then enter frequencies though the key pad in mode 1.

All though the step to change modes was the same for the 500T and 500TB there was some frequency limits which I posted earlier.

I've since tried the RT software on the radio. RT software will program it (transmit and receive) for commercial, public safety and GMRS frequencies, once you unlock it through the keypad. How ever I had some issue with it in mode 4 and trying to program it with the RT software.

I've had tried out the wide and narrow setting and could notice a difference when listening to some public safety communications.

Hans13

Thanks for the update, vancouverbc. Here is another link to the keypad unlocking software. I didn't see this particular link anywhere in the thread but I might have missed it. I saw other links though. Alinco keypad unlocker on MTCRadio's site. It's about 3/4 of the way down the page. I think if someone were to run that unlocking while using any working programming cable, it would unlock the keypad and then the mode menu could be accessed. Since you're in Canada, I leave that up to you. I know what I would do but wouldn't impose to direct others.

So far I am deducing, perhaps incorrectly, that it goes something like this:
- If you have a non-commercial version, DJ-500T or E, all that is needed is the button power up sequence to change mode.
- Some individual commercial versions, DJ-500TB, do not have their keypads properly locked so the user can use the power-up key sequence to change modes.
- If you have a commercial version, also DJ-500TB, and the keypad is locked, one needs to use a cable and software unlock for the keypad first.
- Frankly, I don't put much stock in this "genuine cable" assumption. Sure, there is an ongoing issue with counterfeit USB controller chips but still, they are simply RS-232 to USB interfaces. I buy the cheap cables and deal with the driver issue all the time. Whoever wrote the unlocking software would have to go to great lengths to eliminate non-genuine chips and it would be difficult if the proper old driver is installed and working fine with the counterfeit chip. I think the problem people have been encountering is more of a driver issue and not so much of a "must have the genuine cable" issue. When they replaced their cable with the genuine one, it probably just cleared up the driver issue.

*** Those are my assumptions and guesses only. ***

If we get any commercial versions in, I'll try the unlocking software with our cheap, non-genuine cables and report back.

Regardless, I am sold on this radio. In my opinion, it is well worth it.

Hans13

Thanks for the good information, nonperson! Your reply snuck in between when I was writing my reply.

So, am I understanding correctly that there is a difference, after the mode change, in VFO frequency accessibility? And, that it requires programming software to store some of the frequency ranges that the amateur model can store through the VFO keypad?

Status
Not open for further replies.