Alinco: Review: Alinco DJ-500T (2nd Generation)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrath

We used to tape camcorder batteries together and use them ,back in those days though if someone was mugging you , you knocked them out by swinging the HT by the antenna , with today's tiny radios sometimes you can find used laptop batteries for sale when one cell goes bad the whole battery is "garbage" to most people, bust those bad boys open extract the high capacity 18650 rechargeables reycle the bad one , use the remaining good ones to power your radios ,beats retail !

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

AI6VX

the whole battery is "garbage" to most people, bust those bad boys open extract the high capacity 18650 rechargeables reycle the bad one , use the remaining good ones to power your radios ,beats retail !
Thanks - I haven't decided which direction to go. I also fly RC planes and have a decent assortment of lipo batteries I can lash together.

AI6VX

FWIW, I put in an order for the Anytone 3318UV 12V battery eliminator so I can use it to make a larger battery pack for the DJ-500T. Mainly looking to carry it back and forth from home to work and have the battery last for a day of scanning/listening. Will update you guys if I make anything worthwhile out of it.
Received the Anytone 3318UV 12V battery eliminator and another docking stand today. High quality parts, less expensive than from Alinco and docking stand looks identical other than the sticker on the bottom.

The 12V battery eliminator has a buck regulator in the cigarette plug which reduces the voltage to 8.2V. I extended the wire from the 8.2V side going to the HT so I could put a DC clamp meter on it to see what the current draw is. My meter has only 10mA resolution, and here is what I measured.

- channel mode, power save option set to auto, set on a single frequency, nothing being received, backlight off - 20-50mA
- channel mode, power save option set to OFF, set on a single frequency, nothing being received, backlight off - 90-100mA

- channel mode, scanning, nothing being received, backlight off - 80-90mA
- channel mode, nothing being received, backlight on - 100mA
- channel mode, squelch open, backlight on - 120mA

- transmit, VHF, high power - 2.25A, med - 1.20A, low - 1.07A
- transmit, UHF, high power - 1.47A, med - 0.85A, low - 0.80A

Clamp on DC current meter is picking up RF - radio position would change the above measurements so I tried to take the readings without moving the radio.

Doesn't look like the 12 power adapter is easily disassembled on the radio end. Will buy another unit and cut off the cigarette lighter end off and hook up to an 2 cell RC lipo pack.

AI6VX

Does anyone have a programming cable for this HT? If so can you post a photo of it?

I own one for my Baofeng UV-5R that has worked on it, an 888s and Luiton 316 radios no problem but won't work for my DJ-500T

Wondering if it's not compatible or my radio has a problem.

jotadeo

FWIW, I was also unable to unlock tx on a DJ-500T using either the 'pf2 + d' or 'pf1 + d' combo. Was interested in doing this before learning this radio is not Part 95 certified (thought it was).

However, I am curious to know why this override code didn't work on my unit when it seems to have worked on other ones--new firmware perhaps??? Perhaps there's a different combo???

gobigkahuna

I just ordered a DJ-500T which I hope to receive next week. Any updated instructions for changing the "mode" setting manually or is this only possible through software now?

jotadeo

I just ordered a DJ-500T which I hope to receive next week. Any updated instructions for changing the "mode" setting manually or is this only possible through software now?

Having failed at accessing the mode menu on the DJ-500T via the key combo at power up, I called Remtronix, the US distributor for Alinco radios. They told me they knew of no way to unlock the transmit frequencies on this device, whether through the key combos or via software. They seemed pretty earnest about this.

They also mentioned the TB model was available for just this purpose and expressed confusion at the decision of at least one of the major amateur radio equipment stores not to carry this model.

I did pick up a DJ-500TB and the key combo worked the first time I tried it. I got it from Newegg, though it was actually sold by Remtronix. It was on sale for $10 cheaper than it is now, but the current price seems to still be a significant discount.

Here's a link to the new page (don't think it's against the rules to post a link to a commercial site): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9sia5rc54k8671

gobigkahuna

Having failed at accessing the mode menu on the DJ-500T via the key combo at power up, I called Remtronix, the US distributor for Alinco radios. They told me they knew of no way to unlock the transmit frequencies on this device, whether through the key combos or via software. They seemed pretty earnest about this.

They also mentioned the TB model was available for just this purpose and expressed confusion at the decision of at least one of the major amateur radio equipment stores not to carry this model.

I did pick up a DJ-500TB and the key combo worked the first time I tried it. I got it from Newegg, though it was actually sold by Remtronix. It was on sale for $10 cheaper than it is now, but the current price seems to still be a significant discount.

Here's a link to the new page (don't think it's against the rules to post a link to a commercial site): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9sia5rc54k8671

Don't you need a cable and software to setup channels with the "TB"? Or can it be programmed manually like the "T"? I rather like some of the VFO features in the "T" and I understand the "TB" doesn't have those?

jotadeo

Don't you need a cable and software to setup channels with the "TB"? Or can it be programmed manually like the "T"? I rather like some of the VFO features in the "T" and I understand the "TB" doesn't have those?

I believe I recall from earlier in this thread that some people receive devices with the keypad locked and others receive ones unlocked. Mine came either unlocked or I unlocked it with the key combo + power up sequence, which I did immediately after unboxing.

As far as I can tell, as long as the TB keypad is unlocked, the T and TB are exactly the same device except for the extended transmit range of the TB.

gobigkahuna

I believe I recall from earlier in this thread that some people receive devices with the keypad locked and others receive ones unlocked. Mine came either unlocked or I unlocked it with the key combo + power up sequence, which I did immediately after unboxing.

As far as I can tell, as long as the TB keypad is unlocked, the T and TB are exactly the same device except for the extended transmit range of the TB.

Thanks for the tips. I'm canceling my order for the "T" and will get the "TB" instead.

Hans13

bertedmund67

Hello Nick,
How is the programming cable needed when doing the TX Expand? What happens when the programming cable is not utilized when the modification is taken place? Please advice. Thank you

Hans13

Hello Nick,
How is the programming cable needed when doing the TX Expand? What happens when the programming cable is not utilized when the modification is taken place? Please advice. Thank you

This is the method used for unlocking through the keypad only... We have unlocked all of our radios this way:

https://forums.radioreference.com/a...nco-dj-500t-2nd-generation-4.html#post2482943

Pick the mode number that is the frequency range you want it unlocked to.

Here is the caveat for model TB (Part 90) owners...

https://forums.radioreference.com/a...nco-dj-500t-2nd-generation-5.html#post2536397

Correct or not, here was my summary of what I've read here so far (YMMV)...

https://forums.radioreference.com/a...nco-dj-500t-2nd-generation-5.html#post2536403

https://forums.radioreference.com/a...nco-dj-500t-2nd-generation-3.html#post2346184

Edited to add: https://forums.radioreference.com/a...nco-dj-500t-2nd-generation-6.html#post2622605

Last edited:

Hans13

Hello Hans13,
I was wondering if you have already gone through the other method using the keypad to unlock the DJ-500TB? Please advice. Thank yhou

Bert

Short version: Yes, we have unlocked T and TB with the keypad only. We have not had to use the software yet. But, the software seems easy to use.

I have not had to use the software yet, Bert. We have not had one with the keypad locked. I think we had a couple of TB models. All of ours have been un-lockable with the keypad alone. As I posted earlier in the thread, we got a radio or two (?) that were DJ-500T (Part 15 amateur) which were set as DJ-500TB (Part 90 commercial) from Alinco. I really don't think that there is a difference between T, TB, and E except for the label and how the radio is initially software set from the factory. IMHO, these are all the same radios with the same firmware, just software set.

From what I gather on the thread here, if you do end up with one that has the keyboard locked, use the USB programming cable and download the dealer software to unlock the keypad. I ran the software and it looks like a checkbox type affair. I might lock my personal radio with the software and then try to unlock it to see how easy or difficult it is.

IIRC, you power on the radio while holding the PF1 (top key) and D. It is tricky. Hold it for a good bit and you will be presented with a menu. There are tables listed throughout the thread giving which mode provides which frequency spread. I think Mode 4 gives the most range of frequencies. Also, some with the TB model had to boot into the menu, select any Mode except 1, reboot, and then boot into the menu and select whatever mode they wanted. This is from my own feeble memory. Hope it helps.

Hans

Last edited:

Hans13

Step 1: Radio OFF -> Hold PF1 and D -> Radio ON

Step 2: When in menu, let go of PF1 and D

Step 3: Select any MODE except 1 with channel knob -> Radio OFF

Step 4: Radio OFF -> Hold PF1 and D -> Radio ON

Step 5: When in menu, let go of PF1 and D

Step 6: Select any MODE you wish with channel knob -> Radio OFF

Step 7: Radio ON -> Have fun!

*** Holding PF1 + D is tricky while powering on the radio. Initially, the wait time to boot to MODE menu can be long. PF1 is top button under PTT.

Last edited:

Hans13

Anytime, Bert. I hope it works for you. Please make sure that you post back with your results.

Hans

alex75

Hello, and somebody can lay out a program for programming. And then the link is no longer destructive

Status
Not open for further replies.