Review: Maldol MH-255 on 159-162MHz VHF

Status
Not open for further replies.

br0adband

And again, it doesn't particularly work that way. I've used 20" flexible whips that were absolutely useless when compared to the 15" Diamond RH-C77A I consider my best all around wideband reception antenna. There are just too many factors involved with antenna design and performance to ever say "This one is twice as long so it much be twice as good" or anything even remotely similar to such a statement.

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
br0adband said:
And again, it doesn't particularly work that way. I've used 20" flexible whips that were absolutely useless when compared to the 15" Diamond RH-C77A I consider my best all around wideband reception antenna. There are just too many factors involved with antenna design and performance to ever say "This one is twice as long so it much be twice as good" or anything even remotely similar to such a statement.
don't work what way?
I don't see how this response fits what i was just saying. I was talking about antenna designs and how good they could be at shorter lenghts compared to longer ones. like you told me the 3 inch can be as good as a 7 inch so why couldn't a 7inch be as good as a 15 inch?
I know the comet antenna i used to have is similiar to the one i mentioned except it does the GHz band and it worked lousy i thought. and a generic Opek brand rat tail was terrible as well and as bad as a stock duck.

But generally a longer whip is better then a shorter one. physical length is always better then coils that make antennas shorter, however the term is. Thats what i learned from reading online all these years. Sometimes physical length isn't always feasible though like with big CB antennas.

Last edited:

RavenII

I called Maldol to see what they thought of this being used as a scanner antenna...he said "You do know it's for transmitters right"...without missing a beat I say "...oh crap, you mean I have to switch antennas when I want to hear something?"....

He basically said it's not worth it as a "wideband" antenna, I said well, will it pick up a decent range, he replied that anything around 50 and below...no, and 800 isn't that great.

I'm still going to try it though.

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
RavenII said:
I called Maldol to see what they thought of this being used as a scanner antenna...he said "You do know it's for transmitters right"...without missing a beat I say "...oh crap, you mean I have to switch antennas when I want to hear something?"....

He basically said it's not worth it as a "wideband" antenna, I said well, will it pick up a decent range, he replied that anything around 50 and below...no, and 800 isn't that great.

I'm still going to try it though.
can you clarify which antenna you're talking about? The ham or commercial?

eric burris

br0adband

blueangel-eric said:
can you clarify which antenna you're talking about? The ham or commercial?

eric burris

This entire thread is about the Maldol MH-255 so I'd hazard to guess he's talking about the Maldol MH-255 but, I could be wrong.

I find it funny that someone at Maldol would comment that way considering a lot of people use "Ham" antennas as scanner antennas which obviously means receive only. Sad day when even manufacturer's own employees give you that blank stare like, "Why would you do such a thing?"

RavenII

You should have heard what a Schumaker (battery charger) tech told me when I told him I was charging 8 batteries in my trunk with a series charger...

"I wouldn't do that if I were you"...uhh...why not? "because it's not made for that"...IT'S A SERIES CHARGER!...and you're a tech?

Some companies...but anyhow, I actually called in about the 209SMA, but he did say "if you had to use one, get the 255..."

scansomd

Halfpint

Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone
scansomd said:
Wow! Prices have went up.

http://www.rimindustries.com/product-p/mh-255.htm

Are prices the same everywhere else or does anyone know
of a cheaper place to purchase this antenna?
Hmmmmmm... Ya gotta remember that we have about a two year difference to deal with along with inflation in certain `materials' and other areas, too. So... Whilst it may seem to be a large increase it actually isn't all that bad as it appears. (As an `off the wall' example... Two years ago I could have leased 1,000 sq ft of space for $50 sq ft and the same danged place is now going for $100 sq ft! And *that* is in a supposedly `declining' market! Oh, yeah... And that 1,000 sq ft is basically a floor with four walls and a roof over it and some *very* basic `utilities' [Electricity, gas, and *if* I am `lucky' *possibly* water. I would have to bring in a phone line on my own if I needed it.]. Pretty much just an `enclosed space' where one could keep things out of the elements and not much more. [For those who say that they don't have such things that are *that* `basic'... Yep! They actually *do*! They are just either well hidden away in some `not so nice' corner of a `not so nice' `industrial' area or are so danged far out in the `sticks' it isn't funny which is where I found the above example. 'Course... {WAN GRIN!} Since I happen to also live `out in the sticks' it's actually `close' to me and even with the increase it's almost tempting to me to lease it if it comes down to the point of actually really needing the storage space it would be. Hopefully we'll be able to sell this place and `get the flock outa here' before it actually becomes necessary to get some place like it. {FROWN!}])

Anyway... My `point' is that there are many things that have possibly affected the price of the antenna between now and then and the increase in price is not all that `far out of line' especially it could either be even more or they could have discontinued it altogether without bringing out a `replacement' model. I've got a couple old `Centurion' `Tuff-Duck' `duckies' that, years ago, I bought for around $5, and *nope* they *weren't* `on sale' or some sort of `special deal' then, that they are now selling, albeit with a slightly different model number now, for around $45 and they are both single band, VHF-Lo, antennas! I compared mine, side by side, with a brand new one and except for the obvious wear on mine there wasn't a whit of difference *except* for the price. (I'm going to treat my old ones a *lot* better than I have been when I next have to use them!) If those can `experience' an eight-fold increase in price then an approximately 33% increase for the aforementioned antenna isn't really all that much.

Just an `Olde Fart's' 2¢ worth.

axledobe

Premium Subscriber
To all of you who still have/use the Maldol 255, how do you like it? Are there others out there in same frequency range that perform as well and/or better?

KC2PRJ

The MH-255's construction did suprise me a bit, yes, but it is a plus. Won't get broken easily.
Okay so I own the MH-255 which I love. A friend of mine tried to yank my baby vx6r out of my hands, and he ripped the coil and rubber of the antenna right out of the radio. The bnc and root of the antenna is still screwed into the radio.

There is a threading of some sort on the BNC knub part. Can I just screw the antenna coil back into the threading...? Does there need to be an exact amount of coil screwed back into the knub threading?
It looks like there was some special glue on there.

How do I repair the antenna without screwing up the tuning. I am afraid that if I just screw it back in I might be screwing too much or too little back into the threading. It's hard to explain.

I wish I had some pictures. If someone has this antenna and doesnt mind, could you pull of the rubber part and take a picture. The rubber comes on and off pretty easy, its like double sided sticky tape holding it on.

Thanks for reading.

KC2PRJ

Here are some pictures of the antenna to show how the coil doesn't match up with the thread.

Someone please advise as to how I can repair my fav antenna.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_4395.jpg
    IMG_4395.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 3,859
  • IMG_4386.jpg
    IMG_4386.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 1,689
  • IMG_4385.jpg
    IMG_4385.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 1,630
  • IMG_4388.jpg
    IMG_4388.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 1,637
  • IMG_4387.jpg
    IMG_4387.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 1,697

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Here are some pictures of the antenna to show how the coil doesn't match up with the thread.

Someone please advise as to how I can repair my fav antenna.

Thanks.

Is this the Maldol MH-209 sma OR the MH-255 sma ???
I'm seriously debating on ordering one of these. :roll:
Thanks!
n9zas

KC2PRJ

Is this the Maldol MH-209 sma OR the MH-255 sma ???
I'm seriously debating on ordering one of these. :roll:
Thanks!
n9zas

MH-255, but they look identical so, whatever band you prefer should dictate which one you buy.

I have been using an AS25 antenna lately which is decent for rx but no so good tx.

Status
Not open for further replies.