Review of the CountyComm GP7 / SSB version 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
From the SWLing.com blog - a video review of this radio....

Mike

PACNWDude

I bought a Tecsun PL-350 after a GP-5/SSB, and then recently the GP-7/SSB, they are all great little radios for the hiker, explorer, off the grid type, and traveler. With the most recent GP-7/SSB, I bought the charger with two spare BL-5C battery kit as well, and a couple of the hockey puck like base stands. As a radio, it works great in AM/FM and SW/MW and with external antennas. As mentioned in reviews, it may drift a bit, especially in SSB mode. However, size and battery life make this the perfect radio for keeping around while you travel or visit foreign countries. It does not scream ham radio operator, or raise eyebrows with customs, as it appear like just a small receiver, which it is. I bought the SSB variants to listen to numbers stations, and know that some embassy personnel have been known to use these to keep up on local (foreign) radio stations. My only wish is that there was a metal cased alternative, with the full keypad like the recently released PL-369/GP-7/SSB. I may buy more of these as gifts, they are a great little receiver, and with a full keypad for direct frequency entry, a lot better than the older GP-5/SSB. (Spend more and get SSB if you like to listen to amateur radio transmissions). Edison Fong influence helps these radios too.

PACNWDude

Just the idea of a keypad has me thinking about upgrading .... like I *really* need another portable.
I told myself that I did not need a keypad either (already having the GP-5/SSB), but once I saw the Tecsum PL-368 announced, I asked CountyComm if they ever expected to sell their version. I was told it may be six months, but , yes they did expect to have a GPx/SSB version available at some point. Seeing it on their website, I could not resist. Now, I may be buying a couple more, they are great little radios.

Status
Not open for further replies.