Revisiting the Pro-18 and X2 TDMA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haley

The Pro-18 is the best performing Digital scanner I own. Since I have no need yet for Phase II, I'll be keeping it for a long time.

Mine too, and I have tried against several models, different antennas ect. I will be keeping mine for a long time also. Matter of fact , I have never gotten rid of any scanner! Mike

DonS

To help you understand, the Pro-18 never had the hardware to decode X2 TDMA, or Phase II. No firmware or DSP updates will change that fact.
The PSR-800 is a completely different animal. As are the WS-1080, and the soon to be released WS-1095.

The "important stuff" (i.e. RF hardware, DSP, CPU, CODEC, etc.) in the PRO-18 is identical to the PSR-800. The fact that the PRO-18 doesn't decode X2 and Phase II is due ONLY to marketing decisions made years ago.

A makefile change + rebuild on the PRO-18 firmware would let it decode everything the PSR-800, WS1080, PRO-668, and WS1095 can handle.

Haley

Don, thank you for the insight! So if RS had ok'ex a firmware upgrade it would have worked?? I appreciate your input. Mike

Haley

Actually , apologies to you Don if your not really allowed to say. Did not mean to put you on the spot. Mike

Haley

Thank you for confirming that Don. I always pretty much new that it wouldn't be able too, not that it couldn't. If that makes sense?? Thank you again for your input, you put a lot of speculation to rest. Mike

robnj74

Premium Subscriber
The "important stuff" (i.e. RF hardware, DSP, CPU, CODEC, etc.) in the PRO-18 is identical to the PSR-800. The fact that the PRO-18 doesn't decode X2 and Phase II is due ONLY to marketing decisions made years ago.

A makefile change + rebuild on the PRO-18 firmware would let it decode everything the PSR-800, WS1080, PRO-668, and WS1095 can handle.

Thank You Don, now I don't need to hack apart my scanner to prove a point.

Rob
K2RJJ

robnj74

Premium Subscriber
Yes. I wouldn't count on that now, though, given that it would undercut PRO-668 sales.

Personally I think it would bolster sales. Look at it from our perspective, why would we buy a product from them knowing they will stop supporting it once they collect their money? For all that we could simply buy the Whistler branded product, they've been around a long while and support there is good always has been. Just my $0.02

Rob
K2RJJ

Haley

Personally I think it would bolster sales. Look at it from our perspective, why would we buy a product from them knowing they will stop supporting it once they collect their money? For all that we could simply buy the Whistler branded product, they've been around a long while and support there is good always has been. Just my $0.02

Rob
K2RJJ

I have to agree with Rob, I have bought many RS scanners over the years. The Pro 92,96, and 106 among others. And while I can't complain with the price I paid for my 18-----STILL an awesome scanner, I would be MUCH more inclined to buy a 668, if there was support for this scanner (the Pro-18). I mean really, how hard would it be to post a firmware update ( or allow it, to be put up, somewhere) for the 18. I am with Rob on this one, I would probably just buy the Whistler version, for the sole reason of support.

Thanks to Rob for initially starting this thread. And a BIG thank you to Don for clearing up the confusion. At least I know a few of us weren't insane for thinking the Pro-18 COULD have done phase II. That's meant as a little humor! Mike

robnj74

Premium Subscriber
You're quite welcome Mike, we all finally have a real answer. Have had a cup of coffee and a few minutes to think about it and now I'm kinda ticked off at their business practices.. The PRO-668 is basically the PRO-18 with the multicolor alert LED added a new front panel and re-badged. The guts are the same with the addition of a few components to make the "multicolor alert LED" work that's it.

And they could have atleast fixed the current software so it allows you to select Phase 1 from a system that has both Phase 1 and Phase 2 instead of simply locking out the entire system. Yes I'm aware there's a work around but there shouldn't need to be.

Rob
K2RJJ

scosgt

Yes. I wouldn't count on that now, though, given that it would undercut PRO-668 sales.

Sounds like you could make some money on that, like an "extreme upgrade".
Especially since RS appears to be about to go bankrupt.

scosgt

It appears that the 668 sells for less than the 1080.
Are they exactly the same?

robnj74

Premium Subscriber
Looking them over briefly they appear to be identical save for badging.. I'll still pay the extra $10 for the Whistler brand knowing what I know today though.

Rob
K2RJJ

Last edited:

Haley

It appears that the 668 sells for less than the 1080.
Are they exactly the same?

I think RS just might be in deeper trouble than people think. And yes, at this moment the 668 is on sale for about $425----most of their scanners are on sale actually. They are trying to generate as much revenue as they can---and quick IMO. I don't think I am going to be biting yet, the 1080 will have support. The 668 may or may not. I guess at this rate, someday we may see the 668 on Overstock. As I have said, I can't complain, I paid $80 for my 18, although it's a bit annoying a phase II scanner is/was a mouse click away. However, the people who DO have a right to be ticked off, are the one's who have bought the 18 and perhaps the 668 (or ,a combination of models). I mean they basically paid $1000 , for a $450 PSR 800 (at new prices). And honestly, I would be willing to pay for the phase II capability. Maybe a 3rd party, through RS somehow? Mike

Last edited:

phillydjdan

In this age of hackers, we can't get some brainiac to put together a non-official firmware update? I think we can, it's just a matter of willingness and maybe money for that person. I don't personally own a Pro-18, but if I did, I would certainly make a nice donation to the guy who could unlock Phase II for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.