Revisiting the Pro-18 and X2 TDMA

Status
Not open for further replies.

robnj74

Premium Subscriber
Ok so here goes.. I have looked and read (mostly here) and found that it is claimed the Pro-18 lacks the hardware? So I dug a little deeper and visited the FCC's website and obtained the BOM's of both the PSR-800 and the Pro-18. Both are attached here for reference.

Now given this info how do we come to the conclusion that it is lacking the hardware when the CPU and DSP are identical?? I'm just curious here as it would appear from that standpoint that the required components are in-fact there.

Rob
K2RJJ

Attachments

• GetApplicationAttachment.pdf
    59.2 KB · Views: 586
  • GetApplicationAttachment (1).pdf
    59.3 KB · Views: 365

Haley

Rob, I have wondered this since the Pro 18 came out. I have never really found a definitive answer on this either. I have always suspected that it may be possible. Mike

Haley

I should add also, that there were not that many made or sold of the Pro 18 to start with. When the updates came out for the PSR 800 it was only days later that GRE shut there doors. I'm not even sure the Pro 18 ever had an update. Mike.

robnj74

Premium Subscriber
It most likely didn't as you pointed out Gre did close shop a few days later, I just found it interesting when I looked in to it.

Rob

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The issue here, if memory serves, is that the PSR800 had 2 firmware revisions, one to handle X2, the other to add full Phase 2. The firmware for the 18 is undoubtedly different (probably some microcode buried in there somewhere to tell what scanner the firmware is for...) so it's unlikely that the 18 will ever get this capability. If you attempt to put the PSR800 firmware into the 18, it's pretty likely it would fail

Mike

Haley

Mike, just curious has anyone ever tried the firmware updates on the Pro 18? Mike

Haley

You are correct on the updates. They were one week apart I believe. Mike

Haley

Ok. Tried to edit post 6. Should have said tried PSR 800 updates on a Pro 18. Mike

robnj74

Premium Subscriber
It just errors on ya and then you need to reprogram it, I did try it. Won't do it again as I don't want to break my $80 scanner....

Rob

Haley

That makes sense, just never heard of anyone trying it. We could all start bugging Whistler for an update. I'm sure they aren't busy with anything. (Sarcasm). I'm interested in this topic though. Mike

Haley

I know this is an old thread, but I am curious if the original poster (or anyone) has more info on this. I know it can't be done according to most on here (due to any support from RS-GRE-Whistler). Looking through the PDFs in the original post though, I don't get it. They look parts wise identical. I know I can just buy a new RS 668, Whistler 1080, or used PSR 800. This subject though is very interesting too me, BECAUSE of the lack of support, rarity, and such short shelf life of this model. The one thing that bothers me though , is that a few people who got the Pro 18s in the Overstock thread actually had a 1.2 version loaded and were unable to use iScan unless they re-installed 1.1. Was 1.2 beta version that slipped out at the end of the Pro18s life?? And what did it do?

So does anyone in technical---or not terms, have a way to explain it to me (I know I am not the only one that's curious) just exactly why it is not possible? If nothing else the Pro 18 has got to be the most enigmatic RS (GRE) scanner ever. For what it does do, it does VERY well. I would put it up against any scanner out there, it is that good. Mike

DJ11DLN

I know this is an old thread, but I am curious if the original poster (or anyone) has more info on this. I know it can't be done according to most on here (due to any support from RS-GRE-Whistler). Looking through the PDFs in the original post though, I don't get it. They look parts wise identical. I know I can just buy a new RS 668, Whistler 1080, or used PSR 800. This subject though is very interesting too me, BECAUSE of the lack of support, rarity, and such short shelf life of this model. The one thing that bothers me though , is that a few people who got the Pro 18s in the Overstock thread actually had a 1.2 version loaded and were unable to use iScan unless they re-installed 1.1. Was 1.2 beta version that slipped out at the end of the Pro18s life?? And what did it do?

So does anyone in technical---or not terms, have a way to explain it to me (I know I am not the only one that's curious) just exactly why it is not possible? If nothing else the Pro 18 has got to be the most enigmatic RS (GRE) scanner ever. For what it does do, it does VERY well. I would put it up against any scanner out there, it is that good. Mike

DonS would know. I imagine he's read this thread. If he had an answer he was allowed to post, I'm sure he would. But RS has to approve any updates to their products and I doubt that they have any interest in testing and validating an update to a scanner that was only available for such a short time and now permanently discontinued. A miracle may happen...but I ain't-a gonna hold my breath.

I'm just happy to have been able to get such a good p.1 scanner for such a reasonable price. I'm hearing that I may have to start dealing with p.2 here "sometime after 2020," so it isn't a huge concern to me, though I'm sure others would love to be able to decode p.2 with their Pro-18s...but it is what it is. :(

N8IAA

To help you understand, the Pro-18 never had the hardware to decode X2 TDMA, or Phase II. No firmware or DSP updates will change that fact.
The PSR-800 is a completely different animal. As are the WS-1080, and the soon to be released WS-1095.
HTH,
Larry

Haley

No matter what it is an awesome scanner, much better than I intially thought it would be. I actually think it does better on phase I , than my 96,106 , or 396xt.

Larry , thanks you for the reply. I am mostly trying to understand what is different in the 2 PDFs. I just dont see anything. Assuming those are correct ( that would be hardware, right?). I am learning here and really appreciate anyone replying or answering questions. So thank you. Mike

N8IAA

No matter what it is an awesome scanner, much better than I intially thought it would be. I actually think it does better on phase I , than my 96,106 , or 396xt.

Larry , thanks you for the reply. I am mostly trying to understand what is different in the 2 PDFs. I just dont see anything. Assuming those are correct ( that would be hardware, right?). I am learning here and really appreciate anyone replying or answering questions. So thank you. Mike

Mike, the new Pro-668 will be the replacement/upgrade to the Pro-18. But, it will be the RS version of the WS-1080. So, Phase I and Phase II will be decoded by it.
I have read many comments here on RR about the great digital reception of the scanner. Wish I'd been able to cash in when they went on sale last year.
Larry

Haley

Larry, the Pro18 was the best $80 I have spent in this hobby for sure. When they came out, I was in the "that's not a real scanner" camp. But now I can't believe how nice these are, especially for travel. We have some systems starting to come on air now that are phase II capable, so have been eyeballing the 668, 1080, and maybe the 436. Mike

JustLou

The Pro-18 is the best performing Digital scanner I own. Since I have no need yet for Phase II, I'll be keeping it for a long time.

KE5TLF

Even if all the major silicone is the same, it doesn't automatically mean it's all connected up the same way either.

robnj74

Premium Subscriber
Even if all the major silicone is the same, it doesn't automatically mean it's all connected up the same way either.

I'm at work at the moment however this weekend I'll have access to my de-soldering equipment, maybe we can clear up some more of that..

Rob
K2RJJ

Attachments

• 20150114_091818.jpg
    20150114_091818.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 650
  • 20150114_091744.jpg
    20150114_091744.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 639

Haley

Rob you have my interest and attention. Earlier today there was a post in the GRE forum about cleaning the LCD on the PSR800. Pretty good photos that might help in comparing. Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.