• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

RF-310M-HH p25

Status
Not open for further replies.

hsmcco

Premium Subscriber
I know this isn't a very popular radio and there is virtually zero information on it online, but if anyone here as any clue as to how you program p25 systems on this type of radio I'd be very grateful. I can input talk groups and my system ID works fine. My biggest issue right now is with inputting the frequencies, trying analog or digital it refuses to accept any freq out of the 30-512mhz range.

Understandably this is a very niche topic, but hopefully this can help others as well.
Thanks

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
Dude this is from the Falcon III military line. I'm pretty sure you can't do anything with P25 trunking without the programming software, good luck getting that.

Also from everything I'm seeing, this particular radio won't go past 512. There are other Falcon III radios that go up to 7/800, presumably for interop with civilian radio systems. Military trunked systems throughout the US are on 380-400.

I wouldn't say it's not a "popular" radio, I think it's more accurate to say that it's extremely difficult, if not impossible, for most civilians to obtain this radio, let alone the programming software. Best of luck to you.....

TDR-94

I know this isn't a very popular radio and there is virtually zero information on it online, but if anyone here as any clue as to how you program p25 systems on this type of radio I'd be very grateful. I can input talk groups and my system ID works fine. My biggest issue right now is with inputting the frequencies, trying analog or digital it refuses to accept any freq out of the 30-512mhz range.

Understandably this is a very niche topic, but hopefully this can help others as well.
Thanks

There are two versions of the RF-310M-HH. The 30-512Mhz and the "extended range" version that adds the 762-870MHz. Yours appears to be the version without the extended range.

Upon further looking and unless something has changed, I don't believe the RF-310M-HH supports P25 trunking, only P25 conventional. The PRC-152 supports both. BTW, you can only scan P25 or VULOS, not both types together.

Last edited:

hsmcco

Premium Subscriber
Dude this is from the Falcon III military line. I'm pretty sure you can't do anything with P25 trunking without the programming software, good luck getting that.

Also from everything I'm seeing, this particular radio won't go past 512. There are other Falcon III radios that go up to 7/800, presumably for interop with civilian radio systems. Military trunked systems throughout the US are on 380-400.

I wouldn't say it's not a "popular" radio, I think it's more accurate to say that it's extremely difficult, if not impossible, for most civilians to obtain this radio, let alone the programming software. Best of luck to you.....

Yeah, the consensus I'm getting is that I'll need the software to do it.

There are two versions of the RF-310M-HH. The 30-512Mhz and the "extended range" version that adds the 762-870MHz. Yours appears to be the version without the extended range.

Upon further looking and unless something has changed, I don't believe the RF-310M-HH supports P25 trunking, only P25 conventional. The PRC-152 supports both. BTW, you can only scan P25 or VULOS, not both types together.

I do believe that mine is capable of the 700/800 mhz range as it already has a p25 config with 800+ mhz frequencies programmed in it.
Regardless, I do believe the software is what allows the p25 networks to programmed properly. Without it p25 capabilities are useless.

TDR-94

Yeah, if it has 800Mhz frequencies already programmed in it, then it has the extended range. Does this one have the integrated GPS?

TDR-94

If the highest frequency you can program into the RF-310M-HH is 511.999999 Mhz that still seems to indicate it doesn't have the "high band" (762-870 Mhz). The high band can be configured for VULOS or P25. It's not explicit to P25.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. The programming software and the radio have to perform an authentication process before a mission plan can be transferred to the RF-310M-HH. A private and public key are required and the public key can only be loaded into the RF-310M-HH with a "highly" restricted military key load device.

From what I gather, the only way to get the programming software and to get it to work with your RF-310M-HH, you would have to contact L3HARRIS. They would have to figure out what public key is currently in the radio and If you didn't obtain the radio from them and obtained this radio on the used market, I highly doubt they would even help you.

Just having an arbitrary copy of the programming software would not allow you to send a mission plan to the radio.

Last edited:

prcguy

I've talked with people who have software for the RF-310M-HH and its not a big deal to program those radios, at least for conventional frequencies. If they are like some others in the series you can keyload the Citadel encryption from the front panel and since they don't have Type 1 crypto, no restricted keyloading device is needed.

If the highest frequency you can program into the RF-310M-HH is 511.999999 Mhz that still seems to indicate it doesn't have the "high band" (762-870 Mhz). The high band can be configured for VULOS or P25. It's not explicit to P25.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. The programming software and the radio have to perform an authentication process before a mission plan can be transferred to the RF-310M-HH. A private and public key are required and the public key can only be loaded into the RF-310M-HH with a "highly" restricted military key load device.

From what I gather, the only way to get the programming software and to get it to work with your RF-310M-HH, you would have to contact L3HARRIS. They would have to figure out what public key is currently in the radio and If you didn't obtain the radio from them and obtained this radio on the used market, I highly doubt they would even help you.

Just having an arbitrary copy of the programming software would not allow you to send a mission plan to the radio.

TDR-94

I've talked with people who have software for the RF-310M-HH and its not a big deal to program those radios, at least for conventional frequencies. If they are like some others in the series you can keyload the Citadel encryption from the front panel and since they don't have Type 1 crypto, no restricted keyloading device is needed.

Do you know if they purchased the programming software and radio together? Purchased together, from L3HARRIS, the software and the radio would already have the appropriate generated private and public keys, to allow the software and radio to authenticate the mission plan to be loaded. Those keys are not the same as COMSEC keys. They are just for allowing authentication of the mission plan, that's created with the programming software. Without the authentication process the mission plan can not be loaded. The private and public key can be changed, but a new public key can only be loaded into the radio with an AN/CYZ-10 or KIK-20.

When it comes to COMSEC keys and from the documentation I've seen, the RF-310M-HH can be set for VULOS Encryption and P25 Encryption. There are 2 different types of VULOS encryption that can be used with the RF-310M-HH. VULOS TYPE 3 and VULOS TYPE 1. The TYPE 1 and TYPE 3 being described here, are L3HARRIS's terminology for the key types.

VULOS TYPE 3 uses AES and DES Sovereign Keys. Those can be loaded via USB or a Flash drive. VULOS TYPE 1 uses AES (TYPE 1) Keys and those can not be generated by the programming software and can only be loaded with an AN/CYZ-10 or KIK-20.

P25 only uses TYPE 3 Keys and those can only be loaded with a KVL-3000+. I still haven't found any information that indicates the RF-310M-HH supports P25 trunking. I've only seen reference to P25 conventional.

Last edited:

TDR-94

It does not have the integrated GPS.

The are technically 4 versions of the RF-310M-HH. Two versions that support the 30 - 520 MHz and the High Band (762 - 870 MHz) operating range and two that only support the 30 - 511.9999 MHz operating range.

Do you know if there is any version number info on the back of the radio or in the radio's menu?

Last edited:

prcguy

The radios were surplused from the military then acquired by a local Govt agency along with some other Harris models. They got a Harris account and support for the radios including software. I believe the radios are only 512Mhz versions and they are programmed with a laptop and a programming cable, nothing else is needed as far as I know.

Do you know if they purchased the programming software and radio together? Purchased together, from L3HARRIS, the software and the radio would already have the appropriate generated private and public keys, to allow the software and radio to authenticate the mission plan to be loaded. Those keys are not the same as COMSEC keys. They are just for allowing authentication of the mission plan, that's created with the programming software. Without the authentication process the mission plan can not be loaded. The private and public key can be changed, but a new public key can only be loaded into the radio with an AN/CYZ-10 or KIK-20.

When it comes to COMSEC keys and from the documentation I've seen, the RF-310M-HH can be set for VULOS Encryption and P25 Encryption. There are 2 different types of VULOS encryption that can be used with the RF-310M-HH. VULOS TYPE 3 and VULOS TYPE 1. The TYPE 1 and TYPE 3 being described here, are L3HARRIS's terminology for the key types.

VULOS TYPE 3 uses AES and DES Sovereign Keys. Those can be loaded via USB or a Flash drive. VULOS TYPE 1 uses AES (TYPE 1) Keys and those can not be generated by the programming software and can only be loaded with an AN/CYZ-10 or KIK-20.

P25 only uses TYPE 3 Keys and those can only be loaded with a KVL-3000+. I still haven't found any information that indicates the RF-310M-HH supports P25 trunking. I've only seen reference to P25 conventional.

TDR-94

The radios were surplused from the military then acquired by a local Govt agency along with some other Harris models. They got a Harris account and support for the radios including software. I believe the radios are only 512Mhz versions and they are programmed with a laptop and a programming cable, nothing else is needed as far as I know.

In that case, L3HARRIS would have most likely had a hand in verifying everything to authenticate properly between the software and the radio.

I don't think having just a random copy of the programming software will work in this case.

There has to be a match between the software and the radio in order for the authentication to work.

hsmcco

Premium Subscriber
The are technically 4 versions of the RF-310M-HH. Two versions that support the 30 - 520 MHz and the High Band (762 - 870 MHz) operating range and two that only support the 30 - 511.9999 MHz operating range.

Do you know if there is any version number info on the back of the radio or in the radio's menu?
Its a RF-310M-HH001 running on 12100-8900 1.1.2 version sw. Since I can't even figure out the default password, I'm seriously debating on spending $500 for the software and 32 pin cable.

I've heard the computer program is pretty universal for the falcon III line up, can even use the same key on multiple computers, unlike RPM.

TDR-94

Its a RF-310M-HH001 running on 12100-8900 1.1.2 version sw. Since I can't even figure out the default password, I'm seriously debating on spending $500 for the software and 32 pin cable.

I've heard the computer program is pretty universal for the falcon III line up, can even use the same key on multiple computers, unlike RPM.

RF-310M-HH001 is the non integrated GPS and 30 - 511.9999 MHz operating range version.

TDR-94

After digging further, it appears that the radio is programmed with a public key, from the factory. The mission plans are signed and authenticated using the default settings in the programming software. The mission plans will then be automatically decrypted in a radio using the factory loaded public key.

It's only if you change the default private and public keys, that you have to make sure the new generated keys match, in the both the software and the radio, otherwise the mission plan will not be authenticated and will not be loaded. And if the public key is changed from the factory default in the radio, the new generated public key can only be loaded with AN/CYZ-10 or KIK-20

prcguy

A Harris password for older radios is 24458300, you might zero the radio and try that.

TDR-94

Those have been entering the surplus market for a number of years. Those as well as the PRC-152's are now being replaced.

Many of them have lost thier factory initialization, as result of the HUB dying. That means they can't be used in encrypted mode and may have some other problems.

Last edited:

prcguy

You need a large budget and you have to know some of the collectors that deal in them. If you had $5k cash to spend on one today right now you won't get one. You have to wait until something becomes available then be on the friendly list then have the cash on hand.

I've parted with some really nice mil radios over the last few years and all but one went to close friends and one went in a trade that looked interesting to me. After my friends had their fill a few years ago I put one on a mil radio group and that lasted about 10min before it was spoken for. Supply and demand is a big problem with modern military radios and the prices are very high because of that.

I'm amazed that they actually sent any of those to surplus. I'd be in the market for one, if it's within my budgetary constraints. Whom might I contact about obtaining one?

TomTill84

I am looking for a rf 310m-hh. I've been everywhere. Even looking over seas. I can't find any. If anyone knows of one for sale, can you post the link or something. Sick of finding TCA and TRI clones!

Status
Not open for further replies.