RF Expsoure

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
My BNC connector became loose at my radio and I lost it so I am using a separate BNC Connector that was not from the original radio (I bought it separately. It doesn't fit correctly so I am using tape to hold it in place).

Do I have to worry about RF exposure?

Attachments

• DSC_0089.jpg
    DSC_0089.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 530

Thayne

If you like the way the tape looks--no worries about RF getting out--

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
If it is just a scanner, there is no concern over RF exposure even with no antenna attached. A scanner does not have a transmitter.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Lol..opie is this a roll bread? No there's no RF exposure from a scanner. It does have an oscillator but there's no worries there.

The tape cracked me up. Why is the BNC sitting so high up? What is that metal piece underneath? It does not look right.

Compare your scanner to what it should look like:

44639d1391469788-rf-expsoure-dsc_0089.jpg

PSR-800LG.jpg

I looked at your post history since that chewed up GRE piqued my interest. Ah, so you replaced the scanner's BNC connector. I thought you meant you replaced the antenna's BNC connector. How'd you break it off?

Last edited:

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
Lol..opie is this a roll bread? No there's no RF exposure from a scanner. It does have an oscillator but there's no worries there.

The tape cracked me up. Why is the BNC sitting so high up? What is that metal piece underneath? It does not look right.

Compare your scanner to what it should look like:

44639d1391469788-rf-expsoure-dsc_0089.jpg

PSR-800LG.jpg

I looked at your post history since that chewed up GRE piqued my interest. Ah, so you replaced the scanner's BNC connector. I thought you meant you replaced the antenna's BNC connector. How'd you break it off?

The BNC connector had become loose (which I found out was very common with this radio). I had it on the side of my camera bag and while I was walking in a local park, the BNC Connector and the antenna fell off and by the time I noticed it, the antenna and BNC connector were long gone. I looked and contacted the Rangers but nobody found it or turned it in.

Since GRE closed, I couldn't repair it. I found a BNC connector at Radio Shack but it was too big to fit in the hole so I taped the connector and antenna to the radio. The radio works 100%. It just looks horrible. lol

I have thought about sending it too a repair shop but I am not sure if the price is worth it. It stills works though!

Status
Not open for further replies.