• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

RF noise coming in when antenna is installed on the NMO mount

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
somwthing odd I noticed: the noise goes away on some freqs and appears on others depending on the headlights being on or off. Both states affect different freqs. My headlights are regular halogen bulbs.

I'm sorry to have to break this news to you, but your truck is likely possessed. Contact clergy to have it blessed.

W5lz

First, grounding the radio through the antenna mount -only- is NOT a good idea at all. And from what you've described, the antenna 'ground' is secondary to the 'power line' ground that you also have. Don't depend on the antenna ground as a power ground. You're asking the feed line to do something it was never intended to do, gotta be a better way.
Different ciruits in the car making noises in different places. Sounds normal to me with later vehicles. Has to do with how power is supplied to those devices (head lights, etc.), computer driven so also a 'built-in' noise generator. You could try by-passing those devices.

OhSixTJ

But seriously now, any LED's in the tail lights, running lights, clearance lights, license plate lights, etc??

none. I tried turning the lights off after reading about her forum post about a guy with noise on his cb radio.

w2xq

Mentor
Doc, I read that comment but it seems strange to me. My installs all were wired to the battery or connections associated with said battery -- as others have writren earlier -- to power a radio. An antenna ground supplies power?

A quick test of whither noise might be to throw a mag mount on the vehicle. If there is no noise...

I notice the OP has cross posted this question in Reddit. Those replies are much the same as those here.

And, as I said, the dealer should have access to factory notes on radio installs and interference.

Whatever. Putting two-way radios in today's rolling computers with 4 wheels obviously is different than what I grew up with in the 1960s and 1970s. I am absolutely no expert on the subject; my last install was a 144/440 50 watt radio with an NMO roof mount on a 2006 Ford Escape. The ohmmeter was my friend.

Firekite

An antenna ground supplies power?
I think maybe what he was saying is that even with the ground lead left undone it still powers up due to the grounding of the NMO mount acting as the power ground. It wasn’t stated like that, but that’s all I could figure out.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
So, not sure if this is going to do the trick, but here's what I would do….

Isolate the power. If you have a 12 volt battery, leaving the radio where it is, disconnect the 12 volt supply coming from the truck and use the battery instead. See if the noise goes away. If it does, noise is getting in through the power leads.

Disconnect the antenna, see if the noise goes away (I think you said it does). Disconnect the coax connector on the back of the radio and see what happens.

I think the approach needs to be tracking down where the noise is getting into the radio and working from there.

You may have to start sniffing around under the dash or in the engine compartment with a hand held radio to see if you can find where RFI is coming from. You may have to get creative with shielding/grounding.

jim202

There is a few other things you can try. I have found that some frequencies can be effected by the normal AM FM radio in the vehicle. Find the fuse for the radio and pull it out. See if that made a difference.

The second place I would try is the engine alternator. There is a plug on the top or back with 2 wires. Carefully unsnap it and pull the plug. Start the engine and see if the noise changed. Don't forget to put the plug back in after your test.

The fuel pump is needed to allow the engine to run, so you can't try killing the power to it. Normally it shows up as a wide band of a pulse type of noise.

Trying to locate noise in a vehicle is not easy. As others have mentioned, the use of a portable radio moved around under the hood and different locations around the vehicle. It is not easy to locate noise of this type. So don't get frustrated in your efforts.

Come back with anything that may help the group on here help you. Feedback is the only way that we can help.

Jim

OhSixTJ

I'm still searching for the cause. As stated it's kind of weird. You can see the noise sweeping up on the s-meter and sometimes it'll stay there, sometimes it fades back down. This, again, is key on/engine off. And again, headlights being on sometimes makes the RX audio drop out. Definitely has to be the computer or something.

flux4201

Premium Subscriber
Have you tried a different radio? To see if the problem your having happens on another radio.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Had a scanner that did this in a 1991 Camry. NMO mount, tried different grounds, etc. The only thing I could get to work was to isolate the shield of the coax from the BNC jack on the scanner. I never did figure out what caused it. It did not affect my 2-way radio, only the scanner.

You could probe the battery with an o-scope with the key on/off, and then check it at the plug for the radio. Do this with the radio connected and disconnected from power and with the antenna on/off. I would imagine that you'd eventually see the spikes on the scope in one or more of those instances.

You could also pull the fuses as suggested above. I'd pull the fuel pump just to see if the noise goes away.

K9RPL

I had a similar situation with my Kenwood TM-281a in my 2012 Camry. It's picking up a perfect clear S5 carrier on 146.76 that tends to come and go as I drive. If I take off the external trunk antenna it goes away. If I shut of the ignition it remains, but turning the car completely off clears it.

I'd been trying to find it for two weeks and finally discovered the source by using a handheld and it found strongest on the passenger side which by no coincidence is right where the some of the computers are.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Coincidentally, my Pro-2006 was remote mounted under the passenger seat with the remote head on the dash.

A sheriff's office we worked with had a few Dodges with RFI but they found out the installer had nicked a wire with a screw during the mounting bracket install.
Would it be worth using a 120v power supply and a mag mount isolated from the body by a piece of cardboard to totally isolated the wiring from the body?

dwgelle

I have same issue on 2 meters / vhf in my 2013 & 2017 Ford Explorers. On the 2013 it starts when the engine is one and on the 2017 as soon as ACC power is on. Been trying Ferrite but no luck yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.