Rf space sdr-iq

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbo68

I am intrested in buying this pc controlled receiver would like any information on the performance as a stand alone receiver will be using one of my wellbrook active loops thanks..

Regards Lino..
RADIOS:
ALINCO DJ-X11,ALINCO DJ-X2000,ALINCO DX-R8 (2)
AOR-8200MK3,AOR-8600MK2
FUNCUBE DONGLE PRO
GRE-PSR400,GRE-PSR500
GRUNDIG SATELLIT-750
ICOM-PCR1000,ICOM-PCR1500,ICOM-R3,ICOM-R20,ICOM-R71,ICOM-R75 (2),ICOM-R2500,
ICOM-R7100,ICOM-R8500,ICOM-RX7
PALSTAR-R30A
REALISTIC-PRO2035
TEN TEC-320D,TEN TEC-340
UNIDEN-245,UNIDEN-396,UNIDEN-780
YAESU-VR500

HF ANTENNAS:WELLBROOK-ALA1530,1530AL-1,1530L,330S

Last edited:

brandon

Database Admin
I am very happy with mine. I have been using it for about 2 years connected to a Wellbrook ALA1530 and primarily monitor HF utilities. It comes with SpectraVue software but I prefer to use HDSDR since it has full screen support (for my second monitor) and better audio recording capabilities.

You can remote control some SDR-IQ and other RFspace radios using the SDR-RADIO.com software.

Turbo68

Hi Brandon so what ur saying i do not need to download any additional software to use it will be using one of my 4 wellbrook active loops been thinking about buying it for a while is it possible if i can hear some of your recordings from it these sdr recivers i think are way of the future but always enjoy rotating the dial for a signal thanks..

Regards Lino.

brandon

Database Admin
For portable work the SDR-IQ is fantastic because it's powered via USB port. No external power adapters needed.

Requires software (no knobs or dials on the unit) to control but everything is free. SpectraVue, SDR-Radio, HDSDR, WinradF, WRPlus all work just fine. SDR-Radio is probably the most user friendly for beginners.

Most of the HF audio in my website are from the SDR-IQ. It's the main receiver I'm using for HF. Also have an Icom R-75 but it just scans through COTHEN presets. My next radio will be another SDR probably going with the Winradio Excalibur.

Turbo68

Hi Brandon was hoping it doesnt requre additional software not very good with that stuff although i do control most of my radio through additional software and had a listen on yor web page nice clean signals im hopng in the next few months will have my 2 Alinco DX-R8 hf receivers running with SDR friend of mine is going to set them up got 2 Icom-R75 myself and really enjoy using them....

Regards Lino.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Don't mean to chime in but i also have the SDR-IQ and it is an amazing radio. I also use HDSDR. My radio is hooked up to a g5rv and i don't have any issues at all with my setup.

Good luck with it. You will love it.

Mike

JohnBreen

I have never regretted my purchase of the SDR-IQ. I use SpectraVue most of the time but you can have several software systems on the same computer and use what you like for what you listening to.

Not all PC "controlled" radios are Software DEFINED radios (the SDR-IQ really is). I will be buying another SDR-ID and perhaps one of the newer RF Space SDR's.

John (N3JPB)

brandon

Database Admin
Hi John
Yep I have done it using the OmniRig control option. Could tune the Icom and it would control :) Very cool as well.

PS: Mike good to see you around. You should stop over to #wunclub again :)

Turbo68

Hi Brandon thanks for your help got a few days to think about it according to rfspace website u can have the unit running within 5 minutes i guess that would be for some one with experience!!

Regards Lino.

Last edited:

brandon

Database Admin
Yes it's very simple to get up and running. The included instructions were very simple as well I think you will have no problem getting it setup. Once you start using an SDR you will be amazed. For aero monitoring the SDR-IQ is fantastic as you can watch the entire aero band (for example 5520 to 5700 range) and see all activity at once.

For example here is the 20 meter ham screenshot took last year on Field Day. Look at all that voice activity :)
field-day-20m.jpg

SCPD

QRT
Brandon quick question about your setup. When you use your sdriq and hdsdr what is your gain set at for HF & IF?

Thanks

brandon

Database Admin
@Mike: I usually keep both sliders on the top. AM broadcast band I tend to lower them a bit since the signals are so strong.

@Lino: Yep it works great on WinXP.

Turbo68

Hi Brandon received my Rfspace SDR-IQ had a few problems loading up on my laptop but i am running it now on my main computer and definetley its a keeper do not have a clue about the adjustments but i am listenning to hf aero.

Regards Lino.

Status
Not open for further replies.