RFI Interferance Source

Status
Not open for further replies.

wphm449

I have discovered that a source of RFI interferance in my home is due to my Verizon Westell 9100EM router. When I turn the device off, all the RFI silences. My question, however, is this: is it the power supply causing the interferance or the router? How can I tell? Will the alternative Actiontec MI424WR Rev E router alleviate the issue? Thanks in advance for any insight on this issue.

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
It's probably neither. Are you using unshielded twisted pair (UTP) Cat 5 cable? If so that's probably your source. Try unplugging those cables if so while the unit is on. I bet you'll notice a difference.

wphm449

I have tried unplugging the cables from the router to no avail. Plus, when I turn the router on with nothing connected to it (besides power cable), the interferance immediately returns.

W2PMX

Do you have a portable scanner? Separate the router and wall wart as far as possible. Take the antenna off the scanner. Move it around and see if the interference is coming from the router or the power supply. (I'm guessing the router, but Verizon is cheap so it could be the power supply.)

wphm449

I do have a protable scanner and I seperated the power supply from the router and it did not affect anything. I repositioned the handheld to attempt to locate the source of the interferance, and the scanner was silent when held both to the power supply and the router itself. However, when I plugged in the antenna back onto the scanner, the interferance started again; upon powering off the router from it's switch, the interferance dissappeared. This leaves me to believe that it is either poor circuitry in the router or a poorly insulated PSR-500 scanner; maybe even a little bit of both. Anyone have a Verizon Westell or Actiontec router that can try to duplicate the issue?

W2PMX

1) A scanner is supposed to pick up signals. If you shield (not insulate) the scanner it won't pick anything up.

2) I don't know which router you have, but my Westell 2200 doesn't produce any noise in my scanners. There are many reasons I won't use Verizon, but the modem isn't one.

wphm449

I have the Westell 9100EM. I have ordered an Actiontec MI424WR to replace it. I'll wait and see what happens and post back the results here in a couple of days.

Status
Not open for further replies.