RG-14A/U any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

99sparks

I have been out of radio for a long, long, time. Over the years all my equipment has disappeared. A few days ago I obtained a Yaesu FT857D. In trying to get it going I realized I have no antennas no coax no.. Nothing. A guy did give me some RG-14A/U a good 12v marine battery and I did have a charger. The coax is in good condition and I can find some wire to make an antenna. Is this coax worth finding connectors for and using? I suspect it came off an old microwave system? Would it work on 2 meters, 440 or HF? Should I just dump it and get something else? Open to suggestions? Again I have been out of radio for a very long time.

D

DaveNF2G

Amateur regulations and technical standards have changed. You should brush up on your ham theory before venturing on the air, especially if you are doing any sort of homebrewing.

Among other things, you should know how to figure out if any particular coax is suitable for your station.

99sparks

It appears you just wanted to belittle me, not help. I guess your rich and could just go out and buy a few hundred feet of 7/8 hardline or Belden 9913. However, having been forced into early retirement at a very reduced income… I have to use what I have available.

Sorry you take offence at my question. Let me try again. I am looking for the db loss per foot or 100 feet of RG-14A/U at VHF, UHF and/or HF frequency(ies). I did find it is 52 ohm but that is about all I have been able to locate. I just have not found the information I need on the inter net yet. I thought I might get a little help.

Sorry all my electronic reference books are gone. Along with my signal generators oscilloscope and other test equipment.

From you sig block you appear to be bragging. Looks like you are pretty smart and good at figuring out things. Did you bother to figure out what my electronics background is?

99sparks

prcguy Been looking in Google. Looked some more. Finally found what I wanted. thanks.
Nominal Attenuation db/100 Feet at MHz
RG/U CABLE 1 10 50 100 200 400 900 1000 3000 5000
14,14A,217 0.1 0.4 1 1.4 2 3.1 5.5 12.4 19

KF7DUR

Here is the info you were looking for:
RG14 loss @10Mhz 0.41db/100ft 100Mhz 1.4db 1Ghz 5.5db
As a comparison:
RG8 loss @10Mhz 0.55db/100ft 100Mhz 2.0db 1Ghz 8.0db
The cable will work fine for your application but finding/buying connectors could be a problem.

D

DaveNF2G

I did not mean to belittle you. A licensed ham operator professes to know certain things about radio. If you don't, then you should.

As other posters have made obvious, the information you need is readily available.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
...Is this coax worth finding connectors for and using? I suspect it came off an old microwave system? Would it work on 2 meters, 440 or HF? Should I just dump it and get something else? Open to suggestions? Again I have been out of radio for a very long time.

The cable would work great, but I doubt you'll find any connectors for it. From what I'm seeing via google, it's going to be larger than RG-8 or RG-213, and standard connectors aren't going to fit. It might be suitable for an HF system where you can get by with lugs. A quick search didn't reveal any obvious sources of connectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.