RG-58 or RG-59 for Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Westchester1

What is my best choice for running from a scanner to an antenna in the attic?

RG-58 or RG-59....50 or 75 ohm???

Thank you in advance!

Westchester1

If you had to go with the options I listed above because that's all I have in stock what would you do until I can upgrade to the RG6?

N9JIG

Sheriff
Between RG58 and RG59 you won't notice a bit of difference most likely. You would probably have slightly better results with the RG59 than the RG58, but it isn't going to be noticeable.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Note that all RG-58 is not created equal; nor is all RG-59. Different brands and qualities of coax have different losses. If you're listening to lower frequencies, the differences will be less. But if you're trying to listen to 800 MHz, for example; many people are better off using a rubber duckie antenna than they are mounting an antenna in the attic and using poor quality coax to connect it.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Note that all RG-58 is not created equal; nor is all RG-59. Different brands and qualities of coax have different losses. If you're listening to lower frequencies, the differences will be less. But if you're trying to listen to 800 MHz, for example; many people are better off using a rubber duckie antenna than they are mounting an antenna in the attic and using poor quality coax to connect it.

Hear Hear! I wish I had remembered to post this!

I have had just this experience at my home and can vouch for it wholeheartedly!

videobruce

Premium Subscriber
RG58 is the worst. Look at the loss figures.
Ok, in a car or a very short run, but at UHF, even at 50' the losses mount up.

You might as well just use a plug in antenna on the back of the receiver.

D

DaveNF2G

Go with 50 ohm cable to the back of a scanner. That is the most efficient coupling.

K4DHR

Personally, I use RG-8X where I need a more flexible cable. It does quite well for <500 MHz and is passable for 800/900 MHz for short runs. It is only marginally more expensive than RG-58.

If using a hardline cable like LMR-400 isn't going to pose any problems, I'd just use that instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.