• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

RG-58 type cable: LMR-200 vs. LMR-195

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anybody advise me if LMR-200 is compatable with UHF-style connectors and reducers? I understand LMR-195 is a intended as a drop-in replacement for RG-58, but if LMR-200 will fit in the reducers for PL-259 solder-type connectors I think I'd rather use that instead.

ReCall

I run a lot of LMR-200, but no longer than 35ft or so in the VHF UHF, it's lowloss for the short runs in the mobile's, I think it was about -.6 at 155, -1.1 at 455 and -1.5 at 800mhz thats all 18ft, I like the stuff.

Sounds like it should be compatible then. The LMR-195 has slightly higher loss per ft., so I figured if I could use the LMR-200 I would. 18ft would be about the farthest I'd have to go with it.

I thought I'd follow up my own post and share what I've learned so far.

According to pdf documents at Times Microwave's web site (http://www.timesmicrowave.com/wireless/index.shtml), the outer diameter of both the LMR-195 and the LMR-200 is .195". Not sure if that's a typo or not but even if it is and the LMR-200 is actually .200", a .005" difference seems insignificant. Sorry, I don't have a caliper to measure the diameter with. ;)

The major difference, other than how well they carry a signal (-4.8dB per 100' for LMR-200 vs. -5.6dB per 100' for LMR-195 @ 220MHz), seems to be in the size of the components that make up the inside of the cable. This is something that is insignificant for solder and crimp type PL-259 connectors, however the larger center conductor (LMR-200 is .044", LMR-195 is .037") makes it difficult to attach the center pins for RG-58 type SMA connectors. Specifically, this means the gold plated crimp/solder type sold at RS (With a teflon dielectric, amazingly enough! Imagine my surprise when I saw they actually had the connector in stock!) I had to use a small file to reduce the diameter of the center conductor before I could get it to fit in the center pin for the SMA connector, not my preferred way of doing things but sometimes you just have to make do with what's available.

I also found the center conductor a tad large for the center pin on my Larsen NMO mounts, but a needle-nose pliers helped me push it right in.

My reason for choosing to use SMA connectors was this: First, my Yaesu HT has a SMA connector, so I can just plug it into the radio without adapters. Since I also have this hooked up to my PSR-500, I liked the signal characteristics of the SMA connector at higher frequencies vs. PL-259 for monitoring my local 800MHz P25 system (I doubt the minuscule signal loss from the SMA to BNC adapter has caused me any great harm.) If I ever use the HT enough to wish I had more power, a SMA to PL-259 adapter shouldn't cause me any real harm should I choose to hook it up to a mobile with some real output power.

Last edited:

DPD1

I've run into that 'too big for the pin' situation on some cables that use a larger than average single center conductor. For RG58 the industry average is usually about .032, but some models will go as high as .044 or a little more. Using a file will work, but it does create a potential fracture point. What I do is use a numbered bit to ream out the pin. The hardest part is just being able to hold the pin, but it usually works. A #56 will usually work for the larger size.

Dave
www.DPDProductions.com
Antennas & Accessories for the RF Professional & Radio Hobbyist

Status
Not open for further replies.