RG-58 VS GR-58u

Status
Not open for further replies.

paperclip-kc

What is the difference between RG-58 VS GR-58u? I found a mount that have a RG58u codex cable Could i used a BNC with it?

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
What is the difference between RG-58 VS GR-58u? I found a mount that have a RG58u codex cable Could i used a BNC with it?

Never heard of GR-58u. While they do make BNC connectors to fix RG-58 coax but RG-58 is not recommended for scanners, especially above 500MHz, especially if any reasonable length is required. Too much loss. What are you wanting/trying to do?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Assuming you mean RG58 vs RG58U, the answer is that RG58 has a solid center conductor, and RG58U has a stranded center conductor. 58 for permanent installs where the cable won't be subjected to repeated flexing, and 58U for installs that need more flexibility, tighter bend radius, etc. such as mobiles or temporary connections.

But yeah, RG58 is generally crap for anything other than very short runs, and the attenuation gets worse with higher frequencies. Avoid it if possible. Note that if you do have 58U and need to attached a connector to it such as BNC, make sure the connector (center pin specifically) is compatible with stranded center conductor.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Assuming you mean RG58 vs RG58U, the answer is that RG58 has a solid center conductor, and RG58U has a stranded center conductor. 58 for permanent installs where the cable won't be subjected to repeated flexing, and 58U for installs that need more flexibility, tighter bend radius, etc. such as mobiles or temporary connections.

But yeah, RG58 is generally crap for anything other than very short runs, and the attenuation gets worse with higher frequencies. Avoid it if possible. Note that if you do have 58U and need to attached a connector to it such as BNC, make sure the connector (center pin specifically) is compatible with stranded center conductor.

Good catch, that's probably what he meant. I'm falling asleep at the controls again! :sleep::rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.