RG-58 vs. RG-6

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinTheMule

So I bought my Sputnik today...the problem is that the PL259 Connector I bought won't fit over any of the RG-6 cable I have. Does RS sell any PL259's that will fit RG-6 cables? I bought a right angle BNC connector that does fit the RG-6 (RS Part # 278-126), but the gold plated BNC connector (278-102) I had on hand won't fit the RG-6 .

I guess my question is this. I'm going to mount the Sputnik on a gable, and will only need a 30 foot drop of cable, give or take a few feet. Will I notice a difference between using RG-58 cable, where it seems I have a better choice of (better quality?) connectors? I have some really good Monster RG-6 I was hoping to use, but I ran into this connector issue.

Thanks.

Taloniilm

I got my Quad Shield RG-6 at Walmart the F type connectors are pre-attached I buy the 100 ft roll and cut it in half. Then I make it the length I want and put my own F types on once I have run it inside. I use the compression style F types from Lowes. You can get the tool and connectors pretty cheap... comes in a kit. RS has a F type to BNC for the radio end, (RS # 278-251)

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...&cp=&pg=2&origkw=BNC&kw=bnc&parentPage=search

KevinTheMule

:SLAPS HEAD: :roll:

DOH!...as usual, I miss the painfully obvious. I never even thought of the 259/F-type converter for the antenna end. RE: the 278-251...can't I just use the right angle BNC connector I have for the radio end? I'll grab the 270-258, connect the antenna end...run it down, then attach the BNC connector right to the radio end of the cable...does that sound right?

Also: I'm attaching the RS 12" mast mount below the eaves on my gable....what do you guys recommend for a mast? I was thinking of using PVC...would I be better served my a metal mast, or is it moot?

Thanks again.

Taloniilm

here's my set up...simple and not too expensive. 10 mast from RS. Gable mount kit also from RS. Then the cable as priviously described. I also have the RS 90 degree adapters because it helps the way I've run my coax. especially true when i have my "396" connected to one of the outside antennas. My "Sputniks" are at 28 ft and working great for everything including 800 MHZ. For grounding I used braided copper wire also from RS. To a RS ground rod. My next iteration will be the Diamond on one end of my house fed with LMR 400. And the two Sputniks onan inverted U styleset up on the other end of the house. I also have a copper long wire running between the two masts for shortwave. Simple, relativly cheap and works good for me....

SAR923

I'd use an aluminum mast rather than PVC. I'm just an old school kind of guy but I think ground planes perform better on metal masts and aluminum masts seem to hold up to the weather better.

KevinTheMule

I'm operational...basically with my version of Talo's setup...Philips quad-shielded RG-6, 12" wall mount, with 5' Lowes metal mast. Antenna is probably 25' up.

This thing is DIALED for 118-130 MHz bands...I can hear what DHL is doing before they think it. It's working fine for my 3-county (30 mile radius" 800 MHz systems, but the VHF and UHF bands are MUCH louder. I'm picking up 400 MHz conventional systems 40+ miles away like their next door.

The antenna changes everything, and I need to reorganize my "systems" in the 246...unfortunately my monitoring station uses my new PC which is Vista and non-serial ported...so I have to tweak the 246 on my old PC until Butel offers the update.

Thanks for all of your help.

Taloniilm

...good to hear that you're up and running ! For a minmum investment the results are pretty amazing huh ? Now I need to get off my backside and get my Diamond up in the air with it's LMR 400. I'm anxious to see what the diference will be.

KevinTheMule

Taloniilm said:
...good to hear that you're up and running ! For a minmum investment the results are pretty amazing huh ? Now I need to get off my backside and get my Diamond up in the air with it's LMR 400. I'm anxious to see what the diference will be.

Thanks for your help, BTW...

The weird thing is...and I know the Sputnik isn't really "tuned" for 800 MHz...BUT..my "most local" trunked 800 system is coming in rather faintly...with some flutter... Granted, it's MUCH better than with the 800 Duckie, since I'm in the basement, but still. The local system in question is EDACS. Two adjoining county's 800 Motorola systems absolutely BLAST the new antenna setup.

Is there that much difference between EDACS and Motorola....or is my proximity hurting me here?

-Kev

Taloniilm

You could be experiencing some "front end overload" on that local 800 system. I'd try to adjust the attenuation and see what happens. The trunked 800 system I monitor is approx. 20 -25 miles away and comes in just fine. I'm unsure about about your EDACS/ Motorola question...

bbreiler

I am currently running a 50' length of Rg-58 to my scanner.

I am wanting to move the scanner to the other end of the house, I have noticed a lot of people on here are using RG-6 as antenna cable. Is there a significant difference between two or is it user preference?

Thanks

KevinTheMule

bbreiler said:

I am wanting to move the scanner to the other end of the house, I have noticed a lot of people on here are using RG-6 as antenna cable. Is there a significant difference between two or is it user preference?

Thanks

From what I gathered here (an elsewhere on the Internet), there is less signal loss over a greather length of cabling with RG6 vs. RG58. For $20 you can get 50' of Philips Quad Shield RG-6 at Wal Mart, which is 8 bucks better than the dual shield they sell at Radio Shack.

I haven't A/B'd the 58 vs. 6, I just took the recomendations of the folks here and am pretty happy with the results.

-Kev

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
bbreiler said:

Thanks

RG-6 has much less loss than RG-58, and less loss than even RG-8. I would never use RG-58 for a base scanner installation unless the total run was less than ten feet or so.

N9JIG

Sheriff
bbreiler said:

Thanks
In concurrance with several other posters the Quad Shield RG-6 is far superior to RG58 in a receiving application.

I use pre-made 50 or 25 foot lengths of RG-6 Quad from RadioShack or other sources, that have F-Connectors on them. I have 4 of the Sputnik antennas and 3 of the RS Scantenna clones that were closed out a few years ago (I bought 3 at $5.00 each from my local RS!). The Scantenna clones came with 300-75 ohm baluns and F-connectors so that worked real well. I use F-BNC adaptors on the radio end.

On the Sputniks, since they use SO-239's, I used F-PL-259 adaptors and the same RG-6 quadshield on a couple and on a couple others I used RG-8X with PL-259's. The ones with the RG-6 worked much better.

N9AWO

N9JIG said:
In concurrance with several other posters the Quad Shield RG-6 is far superior to RG58 in a receiving application.

I use pre-made 50 or 25 foot lengths of RG-6 Quad from RadioShack or other sources, that have F-Connectors on them. I have 4 of the Sputnik antennas and 3 of the RS Scantenna clones that were closed out a few years ago (I bought 3 at $5.00 each from my local RS!). The Scantenna clones came with 300-75 ohm baluns and F-connectors so that worked real well. I use F-BNC adaptors on the radio end.

On the Sputniks, since they use SO-239's, I used F-PL-259 adaptors and the same RG-6 quadshield on a couple and on a couple others I used RG-8X with PL-259's. The ones with the RG-6 worked much better.

Last edited:

N9AWO

What is a Sputnik antenna? Never heard of it. Found a couple different ones on the internet, but not sure what you guys are using and why?

N9JIG

Sheriff
N9AWO said:
What is a Sputnik antenna? Never heard of it. Found a couple different ones on the internet, but not sure what you guys are using and why?

Sputnik is a nickname for the RadioShack 20-176 scanner antenna, so named for the various projections eminating from a center point.

It is a very effective antenna for receiving VHF and UHF as well as 800 MHz. It does not however work very well on low band.

It appears as a VHF quarterwave with a pair of extra radials pointing up at 45 degrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.