Rg-6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddley

Rg6

Yes, that's exactly what I'm doing... Using the RG6 from an old dish I had mounted. It'll work perfectly fine. Whatever you do, stay away from RG58, which is what the Cable companies use.. Too much signal loss and no double shielding like with the RG6 coax... Good luck, and let me know how it goes.

Diddley

Last edited:

Diddley

Rg6

The advantage of doing this is that I don't have to drill any new holes or route the cable through any walls... I'm actually even using the old bracket from the dish itself to mount my new antenna with... Very simple project!

Good luck!
Diddley

firefgtr

Premium Subscriber
Diddley said:
The advantage of doing this is that I don't have to drill any new holes or route the cable through any walls... I'm actually even using the old bracket from the dish itself to mount my new antenna with... Very simple project!

Good luck!
Diddley
my thinking exacly!!!!!

kf4lne

Diddley said:
Yes, that's exactly what I'm doing... Using the RG6 from an old dish I had mounted. It'll work perfectly fine. Whatever you do, stay away from RG58, which is what the Cable companies use.. Too much signal loss and no double shielding like with the RG6 coax... Good luck, and let me know how it goes.

Diddley

Where I live charter uses the same type of RG6 as most satellite installers, UV stabilized braid/foil shielded CommScope or belden coax. No cable company anywhere can use RG58, its 50 ohms, too soft to suspend and not only would it leak cable TV out but it would let the local broadcast channels come in on the 2-13 portion of the band. Basically, if your cable provider is doing their part to ensure RF thats supposed to be in the wire stays in the wire and RF thats supposed to be in the air stays in the air then they will be usnig a good quality 75 ohm RG6 and in some cases RG11. Now, as for RG58, thats what Radio Shack will try to sell you, thats what comes as part of almost all mobile CB, scanner and amateur antennas and if you have more than about 15 feet of the stuff you have too much. RG59 is similar to RG58 except its a bit larger and is a 75 ohm coax, also something to be avoided, thats the cheap crap that comes as a 3 ft jumper to go from your VCR to the TV, its not even any good for that any more. But yeah, the satellite coax is pretty much the same as cable tv coax, but teh cable TV coax typically has a stiffer center conductor since it has to be suspended from a pole to your house.

Diddley

Rg6

Might be different down there.. Up here in Canada, they most certainly use RG58 coax, as that's what is stamped on my CableTV cable from the pole to the hookup on my TV... It might be different down in the US, I don't know...

kf4lne

WOW! you guys must have some seriously crappy cable TV service. RG58 is lossy enough that it will let local TV signals come in, so if the cable uses channel 4 for a cable network and locally there is a off-air channel 4 you may get both signals and not be able to use channel 4. I still don't see why they use a 50 ohm coax for a typically 75 ohm system...

bluesman905

Diddley said:
Might be different down there.. Up here in Canada, they most certainly use RG58 coax, as that's what is stamped on my CableTV cable from the pole to the hookup on my TV... It might be different down in the US, I don't know...
Not a chance, you must be in a VERY old neighbourhood or WAY out of town. I know an awefull lot of installers in the GTA and they are all working with RG6. This is certainly the case with satalite instalations. You must be looking at cable that hasn't been updated for a long time, with the introduction of digital TV, RG6 became the standard. Cable coming into my house is still from Shaw, before Rogers took over and it is still RG6.

Last edited:

Diddley

Rg6

We're Cogeco down here.. Here's what is stamped on the cable entering my house(wish I could upload a picture):

CMG 50 OHM FT-4 RG58 FOR CATV OR CMR CM(U)

That's what it reads folks... Just passing along what I have installed here. I'm located right in town, about two miles from the Cable station.

Last edited:

Diddley

Rg6

Maybe that's all the guy had left-LOL. Cogeco also has digital phone service now... My reception seems fine though. Mostly clear on all channels except for a few in the 60's and 70's...

bluesman905

Diddley said:
We're Cogeco down here.. Here's what is stamped on the cable entering my house(wish I could upload a picture):

CMG 50 OHM FT-4 RG58 FOR CATV OR CMR CM(U)

That's what it reads folks... Just passing along what I have installed here. I'm located right in town, about two miles from the Cable station.

Just to clarify, i was in no way saying your were wrong (picture is not needed ;) ), just that it should not be considered the norm anymore. Your cable supplier obviously is not spending $ to upgrade your service.
Out of interest were is "down here"

Diddley

Lol

LOL, no offense taken.. I find it strange too, since Cogeco's system is mostly digital now as well. I would assume that all the guy had left at the time was RG58... Something I noticed though is that there appears to be an in-line filter installed on the Cable shortly after it enters the house... It's all wrapped up in a black gooey tape though, so I can't read it... Maybe a booster of some sort?

kf4lne

Sounds to me like some cable company is too cheap to upgrade their drops. Back when Charter moved into this area they took down everything and rebuilt the whole system, replaced all the pole drops with double shielded RG6, installed bi-directional amps everywhere and replaced all the "customer installed" crap RS spliters with 0-1200Mhz splitters. However when they did this all the people who were picking up the signal leaks on their rabit ears had to subscribe to cable, and they corrected a lot of the disconnected service issues, you know, the ones where the disconnect was on paper but wasnt physically disconnected. When they did this I came home one day and found one of my ham antennas connected to the cable system, i guess the contractors they hired didnt realize that the coax they grabbed went up a pole to an antenna.

Last edited:

steve2004

Diddley said:

I install Cable for Rogers Cable in in Ontario. (same as comcast) .
and We always use commscope RG6 18AWG. RG11
Never I saw RG58!
in my house it is all commscope RG6 Quad shield.
We are replacing all the old RG59. to RG6.

who is your cable C.O?
or you may need an upgrade!

Status
Not open for further replies.