RG58/U

Status
Not open for further replies.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Unless you're doing 11M Citizens Band I would avoid RG58 in any applications.

The whole reason that you're putting up an antenna is to get better reception so don't shoot yourself in the foot.

Everybody uses lmr400 because it's low loss coax and not too expensive.

For a leader or jumper, as lmr400 is very stiff and a burden on connectors, I use RG 8 M, the mobile version of RG8 which is a thin flexible coax. There are others that are low loss and thin and flexible also.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
LMR400, except for short strain relief jumpers.

RG6 is the wrong impedance, so you get a mismatch loss at both ends of the cable. -1.

dvendt

I saw that 50 ohm connectors won't fit on RG-6 and that 75 ohm connectors can damage 50 ohm connections.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
Impedance mismatch is a negligible factor when receiving. Having a low loss cable is far more important.

Very true but many seem to not know. And at 800 MHz good RG-6 (6 db/100ft) is as good as LMR-195 or LMR-200 (7 dB/100ft) .

prcguy

75 ohm and 50 ohm BNC connectors are completely interchangeable mechanically, you cannot damage them from crossing impedance types. N is a different story, the center pins are smaller on 75 ohm and they will either destroy each other or not make contact depending on which is the male or female.

I saw that 50 ohm connectors won't fit on RG-6 and that 75 ohm connectors can damage 50 ohm connections.

jcop225

Radio Zoomer
I think LMR195 fits RG-58 compatible connectors and LMR200 fits RG-58 double shield size connectors for RG-223, RG-142, etc.

Possibly, but I've never had any issue using RG-58 group connectors with 200 cable.

Back to the OPs question, bottom line is RG-58 is really not worth the effort to run long distances for VHF/UHF, look for something with foil shielding for lower loss, especially if you need 800MHz, many such cable types have been suggested.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
A set of cutters, coax stripper, compression pliers and weatherproof connectors come in handy if you use RG6 . You can make any length of cable needed.

RG6 is readily available at big box stores too. Of course it comes in different qualities but the Home Depot stuff works for me. I also use it for 2 meter casual use, even with the slight mismatch.

Attachments

• IMG_0892.JPG
    IMG_0892.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 14
Status
Not open for further replies.