RG6 or 300 Ohm flat line for an ST-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JIG

Sheriff
'Tis the season for working on antennas here in the desert and I got to thinking (dangerous, I know!). I have 4 ST-2 antennas in my attic and, as anyone who is familiar with these will know, they come with a 300-75 ohm balun to allow the use of RG6 coax to the antenna. I know I have to fix one of these as well as do some other maintenance in the attic.

Has anyone ever tried running this with 300-ohm flat line and put the balun at the back of the scanner instead of at the antenna? If so did it make things any better or worse? I have about a 25 foot run from the radios to the antenna.

MrColad

I am going to presume you're not referring to the Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM antenna but the Antennacraft ST-2 scanner antenna. It's best to use RG6. Many moons ago I had an Antennacraft ST-2 using RG58 feeding a Uniden BC9000XLT, I didn't dare risk any heavier coax as the ST-2 was rather flimsy considering scanner antennas back then. I only needed the balun at the antenna end. If you're going to use any coax heavier then RG58 or RGX make sure the antenna doesn't bear the full weight of the coax.

Last edited:

N9JIG

Sheriff
Yes, this is the ST-2 scanner antenna from AntennaCraft. I am just tossing around the idea of trying it, I can pick up the ladder line at the next hamfest and give it a shot. It might be a fun thing to see how it works.

Ubbe

Just remember prcguys comment to keep it away from any metal and even any material that will have an impact at RF frequencies like wood that isn't 100% dry . It is a balanced transmission line and anything that throws the balance off at radiowave frequencies will be a bad thing. There's a reason to why old time twin leads have been replaced by modern shielded coax cables.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.