Rg8/u Rg8/w Cable ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

usnasa

hello all what is the different between RG8/U AND RG8/W cable i want to extent my cable which is rg8/u and all they have is rg8/w can i connect it with my cable ? thanks

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi NASA and all,

As may be expected a fast answer is an incomplete answer. If the connection (splice) is outdoors don't forget to securely wrap it with tape. If you intend to use black vinyl electrical tape the cheap stuff works best. The mil standard is wrap one turn at a 90 degree angle about 2" from the connection, then stretch spiral wrap 2" past it. Reverse and continue back to the start, finish with one turn as you started, that is don't stretch the start or finish. That bit of slack won't unwind, stretched it will. Alternately use Tommy Tape available at a marine supply store, it's used in harsh environments as it's resistant to salt water and petroleum products found aboard ship. It "melts" into a seamless mass providing protection from anything you can throw at it.

The BEST way is not to splice because PL, SO and UG connectors are not the constant impedance types and at VHF/UHF frequencies they introduce a lumped impedance which is detrimental in critical applications. For non critical receiving applications it doesn't matter BUT can cause problems at and above 800MHz so if that's what you're thinking use a continuous run of cable and RG-8 is pretty lossy up there to begin with. The worst I would use (if I didn't have that 500' roll of RG-6U quad shield around, hi) is Belden 9913 or better yet Times Microwave LMR type.

I may be off the beam since you didn't specify the application but one thing I don't do is give pat answers to such questions as yours.

VernM

I see you feel the need to expand on a simple answer. I bow to your gracious sharing of all sorts of stuff he didn't need to know right now.

(Pat answer to the pompous)

Status
Not open for further replies.