RG8X v.s. RG58U Cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsmall

Would someone please tell me the difference in quality (reception, gain/loss, etc...) between these two cables (referenced in thread title). I'm looking at mobile mounts and comparing quality/ price. Thank you

studgeman

Premium Subscriber
The answer depends on what you are trying to do. RG8 has less loss per 100' than RG58. of course RG8 is a larger diameter cable as well. Under 30 feet there isnt a significant perfomance difference. If you are looking at mobile mounts, i am assuming you are plannign to run the cable in your vehicle. In that case RG58 is a much better choice becasue of its size and flexiability. For a more permenant building mount, you are better off with RG8 if the run is any significant length.

Tweekerbob

Studgeman,

He was referencing RG-8X (mini foam). This is a smaller version of RG-8, but still has a little bit less loss than rg-58.

dsmall,

If you are doing a mobile install, your better bet would be the mini foam, but at these lengths (maybe 10-15') it will certainly not make a very noticeable difference. Check out this link http://hamradio.arc.nasa.gov/coaxcableloss.html and scroll down to the 25ft loss tables to compare the two cables. Even then, divide that by 2 to get a more realistic mobile installation loss guide.

JohnWayne

For a typical mobile installation I usually recommend plain old RG58. It is easier flex, run through moldings, and puts less stress on the radio connectors. The loss difference is going to be <1db up to about 1GHz. Even at 2.4GHz, the loss difference is only about 1.5dB, which isn't much.

Go with the RG58 and be happy.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.