RG8X with Compression BNC...

Status
Not open for further replies.

marlboro

Hello... This is my first post and I want to say this site is an awesome resource! I have a question that I've searched and searched for to no avail (both here and on google). I have some premium RG8X coax with a stranded conductor that I want to mate with a compression BNC connector made for RG59. The problem is the center conductor appears to large (in diameter) to mate internally with the BNC connector's center pin. In fact, I know it is, because I tried it last night and it made a mess of the center conductor. Then I tinned the conductor and it would not slide onto the cable. Finally, I filed the tinned conductor into a "point" and it seemed to work, but I'm not happy with this at all. I'm thinking it might have been better to remove a strand or two from the center conductor prior to tinning. How should this really be done?

-Mel

PS: The connectors are DataShark 70047 and the cable is JSC Mini-8/U Type #3060.

fineshot1

Hello... This is my first post and I want to say this site is an awesome resource! I have a question that I've searched and searched for to no avail (both here and on google). I have some premium RG8X coax with a stranded conductor that I want to mate with a compression BNC connector made for RG59. The problem is the center conductor appears to large (in diameter) to mate internally with the BNC connector's center pin. In fact, I know it is, because I tried it last night and it made a mess of the center conductor. Then I tinned the conductor and it would not slide onto the cable. Finally, I filed the tinned conductor into a "point" and it seemed to work, but I'm not happy with this at all. I'm thinking it might have been better to remove a strand or two from the center conductor prior to tinning. How should this really be done?

-Mel

PS: The connectors are DataShark 70047 and the cable is JSC Mini-8/U Type #3060.

I would go with removing some strands from the center conductor - that has always worked for me.

n5ims

These compression connectors are designed for solid center conductor cables and may not work with stranded center conductor cables. The connection is made by forcing the conductor into a hole with reverse facing barbs to make the connection by grabing the wire. The barbs won't be able to grab the stranded wire since the fine strands will simply move out of the way of the barbs.

SCPD

QRT
If I was you ...

I would use a UHF or N-type connector that was designed to go on that cable, and then get an adapter to BNC.

Last edited:

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The RF Connection has crimp BNCs that are specific for RG-8X and Times LMR-240 (p/n RFC1107-X). As you have discovered, the center conductor in RG-8X is larger in diameter than RG-59.

RF Connection BNC Series

marlboro

Awesome! Thank you for the help. I think I'm going to try it one more time doing what fineshot1 suggests and see if I like it better. If that doesn't make me happy I'll go with a PL-259 that I can adapt to BNC.

-Mel

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
I have the same cable and made the connections utilizing the Radio Shack BNC solderless RG-58 connectors as a temporary fix until I receive my compression BNCs. These solderless connections are the ones that have a center pin that pierces into the inner foam to touch the center conductor and has a screw to secure the connector to the cable covering and sheilding..

Now since these are made to slip over the outer sheath of an RG58 cable and not the RG8X, I cut back the out sheath just enough to expose the outer copper sheilding and folded back the "upper" portion back over itself so that it was away from the top of the inner foam and center conducter. I then pressed on the BNC connector and tightened up the screw on the outer sheilding. I took my multi-meter to test the connections / cable to make sure that I didn't create a short. I plan on using some electrical tape eventually just to cover the outside of the BNC & cable for the time being. Its not a pretty thing but it does work for me and I don't notice a difference.

Just a though for a temporary "fix" until I make it permanent.

AF6IT

There is a different sort of "compression" BNC which is absolutely excellent. I use them almost exclusively. I get them from The Wireman but am sure that they are available many places. I have military surplus equipment which uses this same exact style, so if it meets Mil-spec standards it can't be junk. The tip is solder on but the braid is pinched tightly between the body and a forcing cone cinched up by a threaded compression nut (which the coax goes through) Available for 8x which I mostly use and others.

Stu AF6IT

Status
Not open for further replies.