RH96 & BCD996XT volume control issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkphotog

Premium Subscriber
I'm using a RH96 with a BCD996XT hidden under the seat in my SUV. I'm having an odd volume control issue -- most of the time, the remote head will not control the volume. If I turn the volume knob on the remote head, the volume indicator on the LCD doesn't show up, and the volume won't adjust. If I adjust it manually on the scanner itself, everything is okay. It seems that it will work via remote head, but only some of the time.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

N9JIG

Sheriff
I concur with Eng74. The RH-96 requires a free firmware update to work properly with the XT series scanners.

yorkphotog

Premium Subscriber
Checked the firmware on both the remote head and the 996XT -- both were up to date. Still having the issue. Volume will blast randomly and the only way to turn it down is on the actual scanner. Then, I won't have any volume control on the remote head. Really annoying....

yorkphotog

Premium Subscriber
How long does it usually take for Uniden to get back to you once you send them an email? I sent them a message on their support site earlier last week and haven't heard back.

Thanks!

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
From what you describe, I would guess that the volume pot on the remote head is broken. You need to send it for repair.

yorkphotog

Premium Subscriber
Replaced the remote head with another one I have. Both were brand new in the box, so I assume any problem with the volume pot would be a defect. Will let you know if this problem happens with the 2nd remote head.

billy245

Premium Subscriber
Bc-rh96

Push the big silver button in and then turn clockwise to up the volume or counterclockwise to lower the volume.......That will work for volume control.

billy245

Premium Subscriber
bc-rh96

Push the big silver button in and then turn clockwise to up the volume or counterclockwise to lower the volume.......That will work for volume control.[/QUOTE\
You can lower or raise the volume with the silver button, once pushed in or you can use the volume control knob once the silver knob is pushed in once. It works with both knobs once the silver is pushed in and activated...

yorkphotog

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the help!

Unfortunately it wasn't so much an issue of not being able to control the volume -- but it was also that the volume would randomly go all the way up on its own.

In any case, I've swapped the remote head with another one I have, and there are no issues at all. I will be sending the faulty remote head to Uniden for repair -- it's under warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.