RH96 Remote Head question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

daneg

I was wondering is the RH96 Remote Head worth it if it will be in my car only a few times? I dont want to mount the scanner in my car so this would be easy enough. I do have one more question. For the power do I need to just plug in the remote head and it powers the scanner and the remote head or does both the scanner and the remote head need plugged in?

garys

Premium Subscriber
Both need to be plugged in. Whether or not it's worth it is a question only you can answer.

CoolCat

Premium Subscriber
The remote head is a nice little unit, but it is also expensive for what you get out of it. Whether it is worth it or not is tough to answer. I believe it is worth it if you plan to permanently install it somewhere, but it may not be worth it if you're only going to use it temporarily. Although as long as you keep it in "like new" condition you could always sell it on eBay close to what you payed for it (or possibly even more, since many people still don't know they are available new from ScannerMaster).

Regarding power, as already stated by Garys, you do need to provide power to each unit separately. To expand on that I can tell you that the RH96 comes with a cig lighter power cord (the same cord that comes with the 996XT and other mobile DMA scanners). For temporary usage, the cig lighter cord will work fine for you. If you want a more "semi-permanent" (hard-wired, but removable) installation you could always cut the cig lighter plug off and tap into your fuse box or wire to the same power source as your scanner.

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
That is how I use my 396XT. I have the remote head mounted permanently and the scanner temporarily (securely) mounted with the rest of my Ham radios. This allows me to quickly pull out the scanner, connect the antenna and install 3 AA batteries and be on my way. I tried mounting the scanner itself but it was awkward with the external antenna and power cable. I like the larger display on the remote head. Makes it easier see. I remove the re-chargeable batteries and power the scanner from a LM317 type of 6-volt regulated supply connected to the cars 12 volt electrical system. The only disadvantage is that the remote head power switch does not shut off the scanner. Shutting off the remote head still allows the scanner to continue working. This isn't a big issue for me as when I'm in the car everything is always on. I use an audio mixer/isolation circuit to feed my Motorola amplified speaker along with the rest of the ham radio equipment.

Works for me!

BB

BB

DogBone384

I have the remote head in my truck. It is expensive, and after having it for a few months I'm inclined to say that to do over I'd use a handheld with a good mount from Panavise or alike. I connected it to my 996XT with some expectations of ALERT LED and display color support but was disappointed that there isn't any. The bright orange display would look great in a BMW or older Pontiac, but not much else. If you're planning on having your scanner in the car occasionally, spend the money on a better scanner & antenna and don't bother with the remote head.

Good luck with your choice.

CoolCat

Premium Subscriber
That is how I use my 396XT. I have the remote head mounted permanently and the scanner temporarily (securely) mounted with the rest of my Ham radios. This allows me to quickly pull out the scanner, connect the antenna and install 3 AA batteries and be on my way. I tried mounting the scanner itself but it was awkward with the external antenna and power cable. I like the larger display on the remote head. Makes it easier see. I remove the re-chargeable batteries and power the scanner from a LM317 type of 6-volt regulated supply connected to the cars 12 volt electrical system. The only disadvantage is that the remote head power switch does not shut off the scanner. Shutting off the remote head still allows the scanner to continue working.

I use a small piece of plastic to keep the batteries disconnected when im not using my 396XTold as a portable. I find this method to be a bit easier than removing and reinstalling the batteries. When I want to use it on battery power (or when charging the batteries using the internal charging circuit) I just pull out the plastic tab and lay it on top of the batteries and close the cover. The batteries are wired in series so you only need to block one contact to disconnect all 3 batteries.

The 396XT remembers the previous power state when the batteries are removed or. disconnected. This is useful in a vehicle installation since you can wire (or plug in) the power source to an ignition switched circuit (or a simple on/off switch if you prefer). Using thus method you can have both the 396XT and the RH96 power on/off automatically with the vehicles ignition switch

JoeyC

I've only been using the remote head with a 996xt for about 2 weeks, and although I have only disconnected the remote connection twice, already there is a weak connection at the scanner resulting in "Scanner Unconnected" on the remotes display often. This is extremely annoying. The connector does not fit firmly into the scanner port.

CoolCat

Premium Subscriber
While I haven't had any issues with the mini data ports on my Uniden scanners I have always been worried about that little connector breaking.

The RH96 can use the rear serial port on the 996XT as well. Uniden does not make a cable for that purpuse but you can easily fabricate your own (if you're handy with a soldering iron); it only uses 3 wires.

JoeyC

The RH96 can use the rear serial port on the 996XT as well. Uniden does not make a cable for that purpuse but you can easily fabricate your own (if you're handy with a soldering iron); it only uses 3 wires.

I've had it with the front data port. Do you or does anyone know which 3 pins on the serial port connector get the connections?

CoolCat

Premium Subscriber
The last post in >this thread< has the pinout info, but I would verify it with a meter before hooking anything up.

Use the continuity or resistance test on your multimeter to locate the correct pins. Find the pinouts for both the Uniden factory RS232 data cable and the RH96 cable and you can use the info to make your new custom RS232 remote head cable.

(I may do this when I get home later as I'm curious now :))

JoeyC

The last post in >this thread< has the pinout info, but I would verify it with a meter before hooking anything up.

Use the continuity or resistance test on your multimeter to locate the correct pins. Find the pinouts for both the Uniden factory RS232 data cable and the RH96 cable and you can use the info to make your new custom RS232 remote head cable.

(I may do this when I get home later as I'm curious now :))

Thanks! Thats just what I was looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.