RI Statewide

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjksr

New SDS100
I am useing an SDS100 with a Remtronix antenna. Reception is great, I hear things from all four sites. Just looking for some tips as to what might improve my scanning. Turn sites off? Filter settings? SQL? My main interest is Providence Fire and Newport County.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
You live in a very good spot. You probably don't have to do anything more with your setup. I live in Cranston and have an SDS200 but I have to use a directional (yagi) pointing southeast for the best 4 site reception. I live close to a few towers so even with the SDS200 I STILL get simulcast issues! But I thought if I pointed the yagi AWAY from everything it might help. So its pointed to the tower in North Kingstown on Boston Neck Rd at fire station which has an antenna for SOUTH zone. So far its working pretty good although I have to ATT the NORTH site cause their antennas close by. I also have a Remtronix I use on my extra BCD996P2 when I want to listen in other room. I found filters make no difference in my case so I leave them all on NORMAL.

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
On my base scanner here in Taunton, I can hear North Zone pretty much 100% of the time, East Zone about 80%. If conditions pick up, I'll get the South Zone and I've never received the Metro Zone (Formerly Providence zone) here.
I run mine with Filter : Normal and Squelch : 02

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
Out my way using my SDS100 I hear mostly the South zone, occasionally the East zone where I hear Newport FD :D
I use Wide Normal filter, FM mode, Squelch at 0. I get the South Zone about 25% of the time and the East zone pretty much only when we get a little band enhancement.
However, with my Unication G5, I receive the South Zone about 85% of the time in the winter and the East Zone about 25% of the time in the winter. In the warmer weather including the spring and fall, push those up to 95% and 50% respectively. I am using an 8 Element Yagi (several actually) up 15 feet from the ground. I am 85 miles from the south transmit site at a bearing of 78 degrees.

Last edited:

Nascar18

Premium Subscriber
I am useing an SDS100 with a Remtronix antenna. Reception is great, I hear things from all four sites. Just looking for some tips as to what might improve my scanning. Turn sites off? Filter settings? SQL? My main interest is Providence Fire and Newport County.
The East Zone should be no problem with the Remtronix antenna!! The Providence Zone could be a problem, depending where your located in Tiverton. I am in Fall River and Providence with the Remtronix on my TRX-1 is all about location and the angle of the antenna on a portable, believe it or not if I lay the scanner sideways I receive the Providence zone great. An outdoor antenna or attic antenna would make a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.