RIB

Status
Not open for further replies.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
These are serial ports, could you use a serial to USB to connect to the computer?

Your success using a USB to serial converter will depend on the CPS you're using, the computer, the OS, the specific make and model of serial to USB converter, and it's drivers. All that, and a fair smattering of luck.

If you're trying to program older radios with a DOS based RSS. I have yet to hear of anyone having any luck at all. There ARE some DOS USB drivers showing up, but nothing that works with Motorola DOS RSS software.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I have the CPS and plan to use Windows 7.

Be prepared to try various compatibility modes, if it doesn't work at first. I've had some CPS and some computers balk at Windows 7. Even different computers of the same make, model, and OS have taken different steps to get working right. But it CAN be made to work.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
First of all, CPS isn't DOS based. You have RSS.

If that's an analog Saber and not an Astro Saber, than you're stuck using DOS.

You must have a true DOS computer. No Windows. No DOS windows.

That probably means your USB to Serial card won't work.

Keep in mind you're dealing with a radio from the 80's.

com501

DOS window, not DOS. You need DOS 6.22. DOS 5.1 would be new enough, but you need DOS.

That's an operating system. Windows is based on it. But it doesn't have a GUI. It doesn't understand large hard drives. It doesn't know about USB. It wants to see a DOS PROMPT.

Not a DOS WINDOW.

You need a 386 or 486-100 computer. That's 100 MEGAHURTZ operating speed, if you really want to mess with DOS RSS. Otherwise, buy a brick and smash your radio, that's the kind of chances you take running RSS in a DOS WINDOW with a newer operating system. Of course, you CAN boot Windows 98 into native DOS MODE right off the bat, if you know how to modify the boot GUI. That is what my Thinkpads run on.

KE5TLF

Exactly. Old Radio + Old RSS + a modern computer is at best just not going to work, and at worst going to end badly. All parts of the process have to be from relatively the same era. It's pretty easy to find old laptops on eBay, some of which are even advertised for this exact purpose.

IF it's a ASTRO Saber AND you were to have the CPS for it then you could use up to a Windows XP PC. I think they were one of the first to get a CPS.

Last edited:

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Hmm, very well I shall find a DOS box.

Hit the thrift stores. I see a lot of older laptops that work just fine, but won't run anything newer than Win 3.11. You shouldn't have to pay more than $25. The battery may be shot, but who cares?

Status
Not open for further replies.