• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

RIBless cable for EDACS 500M?

Status
Not open for further replies.

azraphale

Anyone have a schematic cor a RIBless 500M cable, or have an old one lying around they'd like to either rent or part with? I have 13 of these beasts to program but not a lot of spare capital to work with, so finding and buying a TQ-3370 is beyond my budget -- and besides, I doubt most of the circuitry inside except the VRs and MAX232C are necessary for a dedicated cable for a single model of radio. I'm just not sure what to eliminate and what to hard-wire off of the TQ-3370 schematic to build my own RIBless cable (which should only cost me something like $20 in parts at worst). Price Industries went out of business, so I can't get a cable from them even if I wanted to spend the money.

Ideas? Thoughts? Spare cables? :D

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
I've made my own cable using some spare parts, actually i just used some 22awg wires pushed into the mic connector holes and alligator clipped them to my breadboard.

If you are sitting with the radio facing you, the mic connector is Pin 1 on the right, 9 on the left.
1 - TX data from a TTL source to the radio
3 - RX data to a TTL converter from the radio
2,5,7 - short all three together and to ground
tie pins 6 and 9 together.

In that configuration, the radio will boot up in PROG mode. I've found that the 3 grounded pins aren't really necessary, but the OEM cable had them that way so I figure there was some purpose.

As far as the TTL converter, im sure a MAX232C would work just fine. I cheated and just tied the wires from pins 1 and 3 to the proper pins on my P7100 ribless cable, and it worked just peachy. I've done 3 500M's this way and no issues.

Hope that helps!

greenthumb

Colorado DB Administrator
Database Admin
What pins on the P7100 cable did you use, by chance? I can't seem to find my pinout diagram with the functions of each pin at the moment...

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
If you check out this image:
http://www.hallelectronics.com/getech/tq-lpe.gif

I used Pin 1 and Pin 11, 1 being on the bottom, 11 being the upper right nearest the alignment peg.

It's too early in the morning to remember which went where lol I will try to find my notes and tell you which one for sure later. Tho I found it by trial and error, it didn't work one way so i flipped them and it went just fine. Keep in mind you will have to use a ribless cable and it has to be self-powered (usb) in order to power the level converter inside it. If you cross ref the schematic for a MRK cable (same thing) you can find the pin that gets A+ from the radio and then tap that from Pin 6/9 on the 500M to power it.

My cable was a Price ribless. Hope that helps!

greenthumb

Colorado DB Administrator
Database Admin
Thanks! I have an OEM TQ-less serial cable, so i'll give it a shot and see if it works. :)

azraphale

I cannot get this to work with R18 software. Tying 6 and 9 together or pressing SCAN, + and - together at power-up give me every character and bar on the display lit up. Any button press gives me the text "PASS". But no setting of baud rate or any other settings I can mess with on the ports will allow programming, and nothing gives me a "PROG" message on the display.

Does my radio have firmware in it that is not compatible with R18, maybe? I am at a loss here.

azraphale

I cannot get this to work with R18 software. Tying 6 and 9 together or pressing SCAN, + and - together at power-up give me every character and bar on the display lit up. Any button press gives me the text "PASS". But no setting of baud rate or any other settings I can mess with on the ports will allow programming, and nothing gives me a "PROG" message on the display.

Does my radio have firmware in it that is not compatible with R18, maybe? I am at a loss here.

Entering program mode doesn't require any particular version of ProGrammer - just the cable and 2,5,7 shorted to ground.

azraphale

Okay, I have tried two different brands of RIBless cable and it appears that these radios have later flashcode (firmware) judging by the two versions of the Tyco M/A-COM manual I found. So I need earlier firmware, it appears, to run a recovery on these radios with Radio Maintenance R18 (or a real programming box and lead, perhaps, or a newer version of ProGrammer, I'm not sure which.

Anyone have flashcode for a 500M? I think if I can force in older flashcode, I'll be all right.

Status
Not open for further replies.