Richardson, TX - Richardson's radio system needs to be replaced

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColonelMike

Premium Subscriber

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
The 'new frequencies' are simply from the rebanding process. It's the same basic equipment, one of the weakest of the trunked systems in the DFW metro area. Poor to non-existent coverage outside the city limits, with areas of spotty or static ridden coverage within those limits. I can hear Plano just about all the time, and, from my location, they are the 'other side' of Richardson, yet the Richardson system is rarely trackable, even on a rooftop antenna, from about 15 miles away.

Motorjock721

Premium Subscriber
RIchardson Radio system

Hey there, New to the fourm. I can tell you first hand that the radio system has not been the best since day one. Lots of dead spots all over the City. It has gotten worse as time as gone by. Im glad they have finally decided that it is time to upgrade or replace the system we have. Our lives and our citizens lives depend on it!

SCPD

QRT
Richardson has needed a new Communications system for years. With the criminals operating to their South, East and west they have crappy inter-op with Dallas & Garland. I think the main reason Richardson went EDACS way back where is because Ericcson was Based in Richardson. Richardson Police alone operate special services and work with outside agencies on Specialized task forces and the radio system they use today is not what the other agencies use. When Richardson first used the system it was cutting edge, Now its cutting a deep hole in the budget. Richardson will always do its best to secure its communications from the listening public, But EDACS in my opinion isn't the way to go. SW Richardson is heavily trafficked by gangs and drugs and a system that would operate in accordance with Both Dallas, Garland & Plano is really needed. The NE Panhandle has blossomed over the years and it would not hurt them one bit to have a multi site simualcast (other than the two site they have now) system with More Talk groups and shared groups by outside agencies. This will be interesting to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.